ANYTHING for 70-689?!

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a free voucher for taking the upgrade Windows 7 --> Windows 8 path by passing the 70-689 exam. So far I have found little to nothing on Amazon or web searches...has anyone found success in any materials or has anyone passed the exam using something that helped?? So far I've used the Windows 8 free MS e-book and the Jump Starts on Microsoft Virtual Academy but I do not think it is enough. The voucher expires next month so I figured if I brushed on exam objectives using a book or exam prep I can have a quick study session before attempting (heck it's free).

Appreciate the help in advance!

Comments

• alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm nothing complete yet...it's like digging for gold to find material for this exam
  • Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am having the same frustration. I am watching the Springboard series of videos and doing the Skillsoft 70-687 course that I have access to. I am trying to knock this one out before the 2nd shot expires. I was hoping CBT Nuggets would have this one done but it doesn't look like I'm going to make it. Got a pretty good feeling I'll be using the 2nd shot on this one crash.gif
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like the Windows 8 exam books aren't due to be released until later this year. If you do a search on Amazon you will see several books for the 70-687 and 70-688 on pre-order.

Unfortunately for the 70-689 exam, it looks like you are going to need to study both the 70-687 and 70-688. The only difference is that you can obtain MCSA: Windows 8 status with one exam instead of two. But the material covered in the 689 will be taken directly from the 687 and 688.

Like somone else mentioned, CBT Nuggets videos on all of the Windows 8 certs are coming soon.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Guess I am going to wing it for the first free shot for this exam
  • fadeinthemixfadeinthemix Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□

Cool thanks I definitely will look at this, it looks informative.
    I now realize that the site barely has any content on it....wrong link?
  • fadeinthemixfadeinthemix Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I gave you the 688 wiki.
    Very very informative. There is a lot of 687 content around techexams
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    CBT nuggets is currently working on this one
  • Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets, as of this writing, has 15 of the 20 videos available. I took the test this past Friday and passed. I used Skillsoft's 70-687 study material and what I could get from the CBT Nuggets stuff [which I watched twice]. I also reviewed all of the newer technologies relevant to Windows 8. Without violating the NDA, I have to say some of the questions surprised me. I really liked the CBT Nuggets series.
  • Digital.Digital. Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No full series available on CBT Nuggets site :

Microsoft Windows 8 70-689 Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets

Best of luck !!! :)
  • $TR1K3R$TR1K3R Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone : )

Now when I passed 70-680 & 70-686, I'm on the way to MCSA Win 8. Hope I can pass 70-689 :)

Has anyone passed this exam? How difficult is it? I think I've to study a lot :D
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    interesting. There is nothing on Transcenders website but i have a CBT Nuggets subscription and the Transcender exam for 70-689 can be accessed in that way. Now if only they would do the MCSE exams
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Gibson/Panek book for this exam (70-689) isn't set for release till August 18th, 2014. It will cover all of 8.1 release features. Unfortunately I forsee myself studying all the material for the 70-687 and 70-688 in hopes to properly prepare myself for one exam. Quite cumbersome.

So frustrating.

MCSA: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-687, 70-688, and 70-689: Rob Tidrow, William Panek, Darril Gibson, Jeffrey R. Shapiro: 9781118556870: Amazon.com: Books
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Whatsit2uWhatsit2u Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since this thread now has 5 months on it, i figured it was time to bump it, rather than starting a new one with the exact same question.
    But just for good measure -Is there any material on the 70-689? Please not random bits here and there, but something like the exam preparation kits for 70-680,70-685 etc.?
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whatsit2u

I just finished up my Windows 7 MCSA a few months ago (only took 3 years, B.S. degree got in the way) and I am currently trying to get my Windows 8 upgrade done. I am reading "Windows 8.1 inside and out" mostly because I just need to see the whole picture. I have already watched and listened to all the CBT nuggets for the 70-689. I have done some Labs from Microsoft Virtual Labs to help get the other part of the equation (hands on that is). I haven't put the petal down, and plan to do so this weekend, in preparation to sit the exam late this month. I am very hesitant to sit the exam since the 2nd shot campaign has come to an end, but I want this upgrade done so I can start working on my 2012 MCSA/MCSE before summer is out.

Let me know what you find as far as books and such. But I will say that for my Windows 7 MCSA that CBT testing (Transcender exams) hit the nail on the head for me. Of course I have worked with Windows 7 since it's Beta Days.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
    The Gibson/Panek book for this exam (70-689) isn't set for release till August 18th, 2014. It will cover all of 8.1 release features. Unfortunately I forsee myself studying all the material for the 70-687 and 70-688 in hopes to properly prepare myself for one exam. Quite cumbersome.

So frustrating.

MCSA: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-687, 70-688, and 70-689: Rob Tidrow, William Panek, Darril Gibson, Jeffrey R. Shapiro: 9781118556870: Amazon.com: Books

Wow I forgot about this thread but thanks to whoever resurrected it

Anyways I have been waiting on the Gibson book for this exam for the longest time....it just kept getting pushed back for about a year now
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Wow I forgot about this thread but thanks to whoever resurrected it

Anyways I have been waiting on the Gibson book for this exam for the longest time....it just kept getting pushed back for about a year now

I used Gibson's book for the 70-685, and did like the view it gave me on the content. I won't be waiting around for the 70-689 book, my time table is to short to pickup a 400+ book right now. Since I just finished up my MCSA for Win 7, a lot of the test content is the same. Just add all the new stuff for Win 8 (DaRT, Hyper-V, and Windows 8 clicking around).

I really like to know how many have sat the 70-689 and feel like it can be a bear or not?
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
    If anyone is still interested, Mr. Gibson's book finally released last month for the Complete study guide (70-687+68icon_cool.gif for Windows 8.1

You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Complete-Study-Guide/dp/1118556879

If anyone had bought it yet let me know how it is as I am planning to use this as a resource when I tackle this exam again.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    If anyone is still interested, Mr. Gibson's book finally released last month for the Complete study guide (70-687+68icon_cool.gif for Windows 8.1

You can find it here: MCSA Microsoft Windows 8.1 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-687, 70-688, and 70-689: Jeffrey R. Shapiro: 9781118556870: Amazon.com: Books

If anyone had bought it yet let me know how it is as I am planning to use this as a resource when I tackle this exam again.

Thanks for the update. Should come in handy.