What else should I get for lab?

dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok. So I finished my CCNA recently and I plan on working on some CCNA Voice Labs. This is purely for fun as I don't plan on getting the CCNA Voice any time soon, but I do want to learn some Voice stuff because it looks fun. Creating a lab is a lot harder than I thought though. So far I have:

1x 1760 Router with:
1x VIC-2FXS
1x VIC-2FXO
1x PVDM-12 (they are supposedly not compatible on the 1760 but I saw an old thread here that they successfully installed a PVDM-12 on this router)

2x 3524 Inline PWR Switches (I know 3550 is better but I am on a budget)

2x 7960 IP Phones

1x VMware running CUCM 8.6

Do you guys recommend anything else? I was thinking of getting a 26xxXM router and Obi100 with google voice to use as a PSTN. I noticed some people use some sort of PSTN simulation but to me (at least for now), making actual calls to the outside world is the funnest part. Also what is a VWIC 1MFT-T1 used for? If a router already has a VWIC 1MFT-T1 installed, am I to assume that it already has available DSP channels? Btw I am completely new to this so if I'm wrong about something please correct me. Thx for the help.

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That kit all looks fine, though 1 x 3524 should be ample. This is the same voice lab I started with. You could add Unity Connection and Active Directory if you want to try integration.

Think of the 1MFT-T1 as capable of 23/24 calls as opposed to 1 call per FXO. Its just a way of getting higher call density/port. Might be nice to configure, but not really necessary. Also, just because it comes with a router is no guarantee it will come with DSPs to support it.
  • dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response. Wow, so much info in CCNA Voice but it's all interesting. I looked up Unity and from what I understand it is mainly used for Voicemail. Also I watched the CBT nuggets video on it and he says that for Unity Express, you need a module but I looked them up and they were very expensive. I read some more and I found Cisco Unified Communications 7. Is this the full version? It seems to me that the Express version is supposed to run on the router and CUC is the full blown software. Correct me if I am wrong. I have a beefy computer so the more VMs the merrier. If I am correct, then I can run CUCM, CUC (which is unity right?), and Windows Server (for AD) for a nice lab. And I think I will hold off on the 1MFT-T1 for now. Do you think that I should get a 2nd router or is there no benefit to that? I am asking because I was kind of trying to match the CBT Nuggets lab but I also realize that you can really do most things with just 1 router 1 switch. Sorry if I am asking too many questions. I'm just really eager to work on Voice.
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    I would get a 1 or 2 2811s or maybe 1760s with CME on them and setup remote sites to your CUCM HQ. Maybe even try a hand at MPLS with the remote sites, and Intercluster trunks. That way you've got some experience with hooking up small remote sites into the HQ where remote sites or HQ simply dial the extension. [ There's a LOT of different configs you can do. Pitviper has this whole really cool setup in the CCNP Voice thread under the sticky threads for voice labs...
    Jollycork wrote: »
    I would get a 1 or 2 2811s or maybe 1760s with CME on them and setup remote sites to your CUCM HQ. Maybe even try a hand at MPLS with the remote sites, and Intercluster trunks. That way you've got some experience with hooking up small remote sites into the HQ where remote sites or HQ simply dial the extension. [ There's a LOT of different configs you can do. Pitviper has this whole really cool setup in the CCNP Voice thread under the sticky threads for voice labs...

Lol. You lost me. I don't know much about MPLS and Intercluster trunks. icon_sad.gif I'll look into it though. I was thinking of getting a 2821 and a 3550 switch but to be honest my budget for the lab was only about $120.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, the CUCME is the router based edition which will run on your 1760 (up to v4.1), CUE (Unity Express) is a module/aim device, and mine doesn't get a lot of use. Better off investing in a second router.

CUCM comes in many versions, currently at v9.x, but it has a 60/90 day trial period timeout, better to stick with v8.5/8.6. CUCx (Unity Connection) comes on the same DVD/ISO as CUCM.

As for running CUCM/CUCx, each requires 2GB vRAM and 1 vCPU in VMware, I use Server 2008 R1 for AD so another 2GB vRAM and 1 vCPU. An i5 with 8GB RAM will run this all nicely.

A good place to start with it all is the older CCNA:Voice (IIUC) study guide and associated CBT Nuggets series, it will explain setting up CUCME/CUE step-by-step. If your budget will stretch to a second voice router I'd go for it (especially the 2800 series), you can practice sending calls between them, a big plus.

Setting up CUCM/CUCx is a bit up hill from CUCME, and is the focus of CCNP:Voice...and a different story entirely.
    I decided to sell my 2x 3524 inline switches as I'd rather have a 3550 Inline instead. I made a profit off them and bought a 3550 Inline instead. I am happy now. I think I should be able to do everything right now with 1 1760 and 1 3550 pwr.