SEC504 - Work Study

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hello all,

I was recently selected for SANS Work Study for the SEC504 course in San Francisco. The conference is at the end of July, do we have any other TE'ers making it out there?

This will be my second time participating in SANS Work Study, I'll be sure to write a review of the experience this time around.

Comments

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice, you've beaten me to it this time icon_smile.gif Have fun!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Nice, you've beaten me to it this time icon_smile.gif Have fun!

Have you applied for another one yet? I moved back to Phoenix in January, I wish I would have thought to check the SANS schedule - There was a conference in Scottsdale in February...I believe it was quite small though.
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Have you applied for another one yet? I moved back to Phoenix in January, I wish I would have thought to check the SANS schedule - There was a conference in Scottsdale in February...I believe it was quite small though.
    Yes, that one was a small event. I have not applied yet, busy with other things until August and need to space out conferences for work schedule/budget reasons. Is your company picking up the tab for this one?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    There's a slight problem with them picking up the tab this time around - They recently purchased a GCIH on-demand bundle for me, so asking them to pay for a GCIH conference is dicey. My Manager actually seems to be OK with it but the payment will require Director-level approval to go, so we'll see.

I think I'll go either way, $900 for the full SANS experience is well worth it IMO.
    Wow, nice of your company to pay for the OnDemand bundle.

Btw, remember to factor in travel and lodging fees - my last Work-Study event ended up being ~$2.5K in total.

GetCertified4Less
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congrats on the Work Study . I did the 504 through Work Study too in India this year.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

Update - Employer stepped up and paid the fee, very nice of them considering they previously paid for the OnDemand bundle.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That is awesome. I'm leaving for TechEd tomorrow but hoping to hit SANS Chicago again later this year. Like you said, even if you pay out of pocket for the work/study program it is an excellent value.
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Update - Employer stepped up and paid the fee, very nice of them considering they previously paid for the OnDemand bundle.
    That's one awesome employer taking care of its people!

GetCertified4Less
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will be at the San Fran...for SEC401 (1st SANS, looks intense!)

Didn't know about the Work study program. Awesome info, will have to try to get some other SANS courses with it in future.