Options

How long does it take to do the Bcran?

Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey fellows, I just completed my ccna less than a week ago. I decided to start off with the BCRAN for my ccnp journey. How long does it usually take to prepare and pass the exam? With the only experience I have being my CCNA.

My study materials are as follows.

CCNP complete study guide from sybex.
CCNP 2: Remote Access from cisco networking academy
BCRAN from McGraw Hill publish date 2000
BCRAN from Syngress Publish date 2000
Boson CCNP simulator
Cisco Interactive Mentor ISDN simulator from 2000 as well.

The only reason I have the older material is because I found them for a really good deal. For instance, I only paid $0.50 for the cisco isdn simulator, original price was $149.99
the older books were roughly $5 each.

So what do u all think.

Thanks in advance.
INE v4 volume 1

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sa'ad wrote:
    CCNP complete study guide from sybex.
    CCNP 2: Remote Access from cisco networking academy
    BCRAN from McGraw Hill publish date 2000
    BCRAN from Syngress Publish date 2000
    Boson CCNP simulator
    Cisco Interactive Mentor ISDN simulator from 2000 as well.
    I liked the CIMs and wish they had been updated -- and that ISDN CIM could be very very very very useful (or not -- check that ISDN is still in the exam blueprint).

Compare the exam blueprint against the table of contents for the McGraw Hill and Syngress books -- and see if those books were for different or early versions of the current exams. But they could still be good if you like how they cover some of the topics -- and they are still probably 80% relavent (skip any CatOS stuff, non-IP protocols, and Token-Ring if its in those books).

The CCNP 2 -- is it at least version 3.0? Courseware or the actual book? If its the courseware, then the eLabs and command references for each module are great!! If its the book, its typical dry Cisco Press -- but it has more than you need for the CCNP -- if you can stay focused and awake. The CCNP2 courseware and the Sybex book (along with hands on work and that CIM-ISDN) is probably enough for the BCRAN exam.

As for the time it takes.... it depends on if you have a job, a life, and need to sleep - and if you have pets, kids, a spouse, family, and/or friends. The CCNA & CCNP Academy courses claim to take 80 hours for each course -- which sounds like too much time for the CCNA and not enough time for the CCNP. Without the structure of the course and the module exams to tell you what Cisco thinks is important to know -- you might want to add about 20 hours to that for additional study, review, and practice.

I did compare the CCNA and CCNP academy courseware -- and the CCNP modules had about 2-1/2 times more stuff than the CCNA modules.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Mike for your kind reply and feedback. I'm glad to say that the CIM-ISDN is version 2.0 and covers alot of info, probably more than I need for the ccnp, it is over 40hrs of reading and sim labs. Infact on the CD cover cisco states its got all you need both for the ccnp and ccie. And I already kind of went thru and it seems everything in it is still relevant.

As far as the 2 books like u said 80% of the contents are still relevant to the current exam. They infact cover a little more than needed for the current BCRAN as well as some older technologies that are no longer covered on the ccnp BCRAN.

For the ccnp 2: I have the book and it is the latest version, copy right is 2005 so I assume it to be the latest version I haven't seen one for 2006. And it does cover alot. So I think I have too much resources in a way. I just need to figure out the best way of getting prepared. Like u said I'm already thinking of concentrating on the cisco book and the sybex book along with the 2 sims. I'm surprised to say that the ccnp from sybex for the BCRAN is only a total of 236 pages for 11 chaps. Its good but its not covering things in depth so I'm frequently referring to the cisco book. Anyways, my plan is to complete each exam in 1.5months. But I'll always know when I'm really ready....
    INE v4 volume 1