Which exchange exam to go for first 2010 or 2013

Mikey82Mikey82 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

A bit of advice. I would like to go for an exchange exam. I have really had much exposure to it and i would like to do an exam to top up my skills with exchange. With this in mind would it be better as i am fresh to go for the 2013. But seeing as theres not as much information as there is the 2010 exchange exam would it be better going for the 2010 one?

Help.

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    It wasn't clear in your post how much experience you had with Exchange, nor which versions.

There is no certification upgrade path from 2010-2013 so there is no requirement to do 2010 first if you want both. The primary reason to start the 2010 certification now is the exams are retiring on January 31, 2014. You have until then to get your MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010. Passing just the 2013 exams does not give you a title, although it does count towards the MS partner competency, you will need the 2012 MCSA as well to earn the MCSE: Messaging.
  • Mikey82Mikey82 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont have very much at all. I have e
    Been in the IT Sector for 12 years and have really managed to use it. I dontind what one I do I just want the 'experience' of exchange. Well as muchas u can get with an exam and associated labbing.
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    Actually you can upgrade MCITP Exchange 2010 to MCSE Exchange 2013
    MCSE: Messaging Certification | Microsoft Learning
    On the road to MCITP......
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Technically, you can use the MCITP:EMA as a qualifying certification for the upgrade to MCSA: 2012. You still have to take both 2013 exams so there isn't a shortcut in the overall number of Exchange exams that are required that might sway the decision on which version with which you should start.

Experience would count most, but the OP has no experience with Exchange. Next would be which version are you more likely to use. I see a mix of all Exchange versions in my position except 2013. The 2013 CU along with the rollup or service pack for the previous Exchange version required for coexistence has only been out for a couple of months. So far, I have only sold one Exchange 2013 migration project. With Exchange 2003 going EOL next year I expect more Exchange (or Office 365) migrations to be on my schedule in the next 10 months.

Availability of training material will be the deciding factor. There are several good books on Exchange 2010 out there, along with courseware and practice exams. There are only a couple of books out there for 2013.

A bigger question, and more of a philosophy of certification question, is what do you hope to accomplish with an Exchange certification? An Exchange cert without experience won't get you a new job as an Exchange admin. It might help you expand the duties of your current server admin role to include more Exchange tasks, but it won't be a golden ticket to a new position. Exchange is a black hole in that the more you learn, the more there is to learn. It requires knowledge of all the underlying Windows technologies like server architecture, AD, DNS, networking, as well as client troubleshooting. I have been on design engagements where I spent an entire day in a conference room full of admins just going over the storage layout for the Database Availability Groups. I like working with Exchange, but even with 10 years experience across 4 versions now, I am not at the depth of knowledge I want to be.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Exchange is a black hole in that the more you learn, the more there is to learn.

I'm not working with Exchage anymore (well, currently), but I thought this was very profound in its truth.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...