Passed 293

Passed today with 940! icon_cheers.gif

I felt pretty confident with this exam. It is quite alot easier than the 291, seeing that there's a bit of DNS and routing and stuff that is already covered in the 291. This one focuses alot more on security.

40 questions - 3 hrs - 5 sims.

For studying I used Syngress (detailed but contains a not-funny amount of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes) and a bit of technet/articles and Transcender.
I was given the EC2 which I didn't use as I had a bad experience with it on the 291, but after reading the Syngress I wanted to read up some more about certificates so I opened the EC but couldn't find it in the topics. So I looked in the index for certificates and it wasn't mentioned once. I then searched the index for PKI and again, it wasn't even mentioned.
Transcender was excellent as usual.

So as certificates are a big part in the exam, I would suggest to stay clear of the Exam Cram 2.

On to the 284! icon_arrow.gif
witty comment

Comments

• K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    Congratulations, i was also of the thought that i should do this exam being that it's closely related to the 291 but i want to finnish the Security+ exam first, i believ its an easy one.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate teh 291 against the 293, and also how long did u study

Way to go what next .
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i studied for a little less than two months (i usually study for 2 months).
    well i'd say that on a scale from 1-10 with 291 at 9, i'd put this one at 7. perhaps even 6.
    witty comment
    Looks like it can be done, i ussually take 1 month for any MS exam......would u say that it overlaps alot with the 291
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Sounds like you had that one pretty much covered. Good luck on the 284!

I agree that the EC2 books are useless for the MS exams. I used them for the MCDST and they were horrible. I haven't even touched them for the MCSE because of the poorly written MCDST books.

I have not tried the Syngress books, but it sounds like I should!
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    K_amisi wrote:
    Looks like it can be done, i ussually take 1 month for any MS exam......would u say that it overlaps alot with the 291
    quite alot. in fact it even overlaps with 290. stuff on backups, gpo linking, dns, routing, dhcp, but lots on ipsec, PKI, clusters (can't stand those bloody things!), lots on security.
    witty comment
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Bmac000Bmac000 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice work omni, good to hear you passed. This is my next exam also not sure when I'm taking it just yet as I'm only up to chapter 4 in the book but its nice to hear that its easier than the 291 which almost killed me.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude.......
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
    The content is definately alot simpler than the 291, i assume being that i'm in Internet connectivity,Chapter 4,(MS BOOK) ohh well.

Let me do this things whilst i still can, i was a little hasty about getting my MCSA but theres no rush i'll get it anyway.

You can get everything you want ,as long as you don't want them @ once.