Options

What is my TFTP servers IP?

M-Ant78M-Ant78 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to download the latest IOS version for my C2950, but while following the download instructions via Cisco's website page it is asking that I have my TFTP server's IP address. How do I get that information???

In case it helps, the link I am following is:
Upgrading Software Images on Catalyst 2950 and 2955 Series Switches Using the Command Line Interface - Cisco Systems

Comments

• Options
    sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    it would be the IP address that you have the tftp server running.

If you don't have tftp software I would suggest tftpd32
  • Options
    Ok, thx, I just downloaded it. Is there anything else I need to do? It shows my server interface being my IP address (192.168.1.3), so I assume that my command line that will enable the download should read:

Switch#archive tar /xtract tftp://192.168.1.3/c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA14.tar flash:
  • Options
    sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    do you have c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA14.tar in the root of your TFTP dir on the PC?
  • Options
    No, I do not believe so. I just downloaded the TFTP software about an hour ago so I doubt it. I am leaning towards just ordering another switch with a newer version of IOS already configured to it. The issue is that my switch does not have Enhanced Image only the Standard.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not just download and use the EI and SI bin file? Just put the image in the tftpd64 directory.
  • Options
    Reason I ask is because it's great experience. I did this a couple days ago on a switch in my lab. The bin file will work on both standard and enhanced switches. The only difference is managing the switch by either the cli or web interface. I think the cli would be a better experience for managing a switch on a home lab. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Being so new to this I value your opinion. And I decided to get at it again in the morning because, as you mentioned, I feel it will be great experience. All that "I'll just order another switch" was my frustration talking. I was using the tar file because of a reply I received to a post yesterday suggested that it worked for him. Thank you for your replies, very much appreciated.
  • Options
    Just remember there's no better feeling than working through a problem and finding a solution. The bin file works just fine. It supports both the enhanced and standard feature sets. Also, I use tftp64 so I'm familiar with it. Feel free to ask any additional questions or send me a message if you need more assistance.
  • Options
    One last thing, saw your other post. The tar file just includes a web based utility that lets you manage your switches. I'm not sure if it'll give you ssh support. You want the crypto image. That'll give you ssh support.
  • Options
    pamccabe wrote: »
    One last thing, saw your other post. The tar file just includes a web based utility that lets you manage your switches. I'm not sure if it'll give you ssh support. You want the crypto image. That'll give you ssh supportQUOTE]

I will try the bin file tomorrow & download the tftp64. And yes, I am looking for crypto image. One training method I am using is CBT Nuggets, and when it came to crypto, it would not allow this command with my current switch. That actually lead to 2 days of googling numerous sites & posting threads, all to my avail ultimately. Good learning. If I run into a bind I will shoot you a IM, thanks again Pam.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can either connect the 2950 to your home network or just connect the computer with the TFTP Server installed directly into one of the ports on your switch.

1) If connecting into your home network, connect a crossover cable from a port on the 2950 to a port on your home switch. Then, you can assign an IP Address to the switch.

a) Connect Switch to Home Network

b) Assign the port (that crossover cable is connected to) to VLAN 1 and assign an IP address (you don't have to use the address and netmask I used below, but it does have to be on the same subnet as your home network) to VLAN 1

enable
    configure terminal
    interface vlan 1
    ip address 192.168.0.12 255.255.255.0
    no shutdown
    interface Fa0/24
    switchport access vlan 1
    end

You will use whatever port you connected the crossover cable to (not necessarily Fa0/24)

3) Install and start the TFTP Server.

4) Place the IOS file in your TFTP Folder. You should be able to find this by inspecting the options on the TFTP Server.

5) Transfer the IOS image to your Switch

(for bin images)

enable
    copy tftp flash

then supply the IP Address - 192.168.0.12 or whatever address you chose - and source file name (including .bin) when requested.

(for tar images)

enable
    archive tar /xtract tftp://192.168.0.12/c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA14.tar flash:

A Couple of notes:

1) The only difference between the tar and bin images [as I understand it] is that the tar also installs the web management (SDM?). If you plan to use only the CLI, then the bin is fine, and easier to install.

2) The crypto image will have a k in the filename. For routers it is usually k9, but for 2950 switches it seems to be k2. The newest IOS as best I can tell is:
    c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA14.tar (tar image) or c2950-i6k2l2q4.121-22.EA14.bin (bin image)

If you prefer to just connect your tftp server directly into the 2950, the procedure is roughly the same, except you will use a straight-through cable and will need to assign an IP address to the PC's NIC also - and it should be on the same subnet as the one you chose for the switch, but different than your home network. You could use the same subnet, but will have to disable your Wireless or it will likely send all your data to your home router/switch instead of the 2950.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]