Options

No 70-642 for me

Didn't pass this morning, got a 650. Not sure what i'm going to do next, this was my third attempt at this exam.

Probably going to just take the summer off and evaluate what i want to do.

Comments

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too just got back from my 2nd shot.

scored a 662 this time, and a 663 last time. I improved some of my weak areas but I got hit hard by direct access, really hard.
    but i see it as my own fault I didnt study nearly as much as I think I should have for the last month.

I'm thinking of buying the transcender test at this point as I think that really helped me last time.

Dont give up, your really close!
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Hey guys, sorry to rain on your parade, but passed with an 861 today on my 70-642 with my 2nd shot. Failed on April 5 with a 380 but I hadn't studied and didn't realize that prometric now charges a $35 "exam reschedule fee" so I just went in and bombed it.

Here is what I did to pass:

1. Watched trainsignal videos. These videos are largely worthless, at least for 70-642
    2. Watched cbt nugget videos. These are much better but kinda dry and boring
    3. Watched a few videos on itfreetraining.com. These videos are by far the best as he teaches directly to the exam.
    4. Practice questions, practice questions practice questions. I bought several from ensurepass and *********. I probably spent about 15 hours doing practice questions.

My exam today had a few questions on DA but without violating my NDA, I can say that mine was very DHCP and DNS heavy.

Microsoft exams are the most difficult exams in my opinion. My CCNA was a walk in the park compared to 70-642. My 70-640 was also very difficult but I think the case studies made it easier because it was more forgiving by allowing you to click around and find the right answer rather than memorizing it.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    See this is what my problem with these exams are. Ensurepass seems to be a brain **** site. Looking at their FAQ is says that they use real questions and answers. This is like a brain **** and per MS is cheating.

It's bull sh it that people can do this, pass with flying colors yet people that do not do this flunk out. I'm so frustrated with MS and their tests at this point. Someone please explain to me what the point is of taking these exams w/o using a site like ensurepass? I'm really really trying to find valid, quantifiable reasons but i'm losing faith man.

For the past few months i've done nothing but studied the exam material, ms book and did labs. Yes i could just pay a few bucks, look at the exam questions for 15 hours and pass.

BS my friend, complete BS. Thank you microsoft for confirming what i've suspected - that your exams, new exam procedures and questions are loaded to 'trick' people who know their stuff into choosing answers that would work but aren't 'right' yet people that **** can get this right w/o issue.

Okay rant over... and i apologize if ensurepass doesn't qualify as a brain **** - but i know many many others that have purchased true brain **** and passed.
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Well I guess I didn't mention the biggest part - I'm a senior Software Engineer supporting microsoft products. All Microsoft products. I also have 6 years in the Microsoft world, a few more in the linux/bsd word and a couple more in Cisco. So I didn't have to study whole sections like subnetting or IPv6, those are topics I learned years ago.

I've never failed and IT exam except the aforementioend 380 "bomb" to "see the test". When I took it on april 5 I wrote down some of topics and while I couldn't memorize the questions, I knew what kinda stuff MS was going to ask me on the retake.

I've always used exam prep stuff. When it was A+, Net+ and CCNA it was "exam cram". Those each had something like 5 whole practice exams in them, along with perforated "**** cheats" to cram with while in the car prior to the exam.

I think you simply must use exam prep and practice exams if you expect to pass any IT exam, MS or otherwise.
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was studying for the 642 but began to question whether it was worth it - the 640 at least had more real world practical applications worth studying and learning, imo. Not that subnetting and DNS aren't; however, using a server as a router, well, even Microsoft admits that it's a stretch.

I struggled with studying Microsoft for a while but I am now employed with a company that would rather have me get VCP and storage admin certs, so I'm headed that way. I was only pursuing the Microsoft certs while looking to change jobs and thought that they were necessary. Turns out, not.

Look at where you're at and where you want to go, and plan accordingly. Do take time off, sounds like you need it. Good luck.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, I just gave up on this track as well. I spent a lot of time on the 642 and 643. They are passable with a lot of time, study, and energy. Honestly though, if you sat me down again and said retake, there is no way I would pass. So I do feel like they were a waste of time. I did learn a lot from the 640 though, that is a decent exam I think.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass, it's a tough exam.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lab, Technet, Lab and Technet. Watching videos to the test or studying practice questions will not teach you the products only answers to a test.