Options

Office Volume Licencing

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Can any one tell me the rules behind this.

We have a volume licence for office 2013, but currently all our users have office 2010 installed with no Lync Client.

Is it OK to install Office 2013 on there machines, leaving office 2010 apps in-place and only selecting the Lync 2013 client, or would this break the volume licence agreement?

I know before in a company we ran office 2003 for all apps apart from Access where we installed access 2007 from the office 2007 suite and this I recall was OK.

manage who looks after licencing has said we cant do it, and also we have to install the office suite as a whole and cant only install individual apps from it. I think this is wrong as well?

Cheers

DevilWAH
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am not an MS licensing expert, but I'm almost positive this would not be a violation. If it's a real concern, you should ask your MS licensing rep.

Not that I'm advocating bending the rules, but even if this weren't strictly within the licensing agreement, I can't fathom that you could ever be caught doing this, nor getting fined or reprimanded even if you were. The entire suite comes with downgrade rights, and I just can't see them making that an all-or-nothing deal. As long as you don't have individual components installed multiple times, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just as an example of MS leniency in the face of oddities like this, we were told flat out we could grossly overuse a Windows MAK as a means of automating deployment of Windows 7 Professional to computers that came with OEM licenses. They don't care about things like how keys and downgraded licenses get used; they care that you bought the right software licenses and CALs for what you need.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Just as an example of MS leniency in the face of oddities like this, we were told flat out we could grossly overuse a Windows MAK as a means of automating deployment of Windows 7 Professional to computers that came with OEM licenses. They don't care about things like how keys and downgraded licenses get used; they care that you bought the right software licenses and CALs for what you need.
    Our company did the same thing, we bought a MAK upgrade license and used that for deployment on computers with OEM licenses. Volume licensing just didn't cut it when you're only deploying 70 computers. I don't think they care as long as you are paid up one way or another.