Pix Firewall Simulator

ErazerErazer Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys
i was wondering if there's any simulator available for the Cisco Pix Firewall ... I need a pix simulator just like the cisco router simulator from Boson , that allows me to create random networks and configure their routers/switches (in this case to allow me to conigure the pix)

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I've seen a couple of practice exam providers who have PIX sim questions in their engine, but nothing like the boson or routersim.com. You can pick up a 501 for less than $400 on ebay though, and there's nothing better than the real thing. I don't know if the 501 series is enough for the exam though.
  • ErazerErazer Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks
    a member already gave me a link for Pix simulations , not like the boson sims but better than no sims at all :D
    1 more question : right now im studying BS in computer communication and preparing for the CCNA exam ; after i pass it i was thinking of getting the CCSP Books (i already got the Pix one) and study them on my own and present their exams so i get the CCSP cert ... do u think its a good idea or its better not to study it unless i get a job in a company that uses pix and cisco devices ? coz i like to study such things so that my knowlege gets richer , but my friends keep telling me not to do it unless i really need it at work or else it would be a waste of time ...
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    coz i like to study such things so that my knowlege gets richer
    That's the only thing that matters im my opinion.
    ...unless i get a job in a company that uses pix and cisco devices...
    If you get a job in networking, you have a 90% chance of running into Cisco devices ;)

I'd say go for it, especially if you enjoy studying for those exams. Eventually it will pay off.

Good luck!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I used the following web site's PIX emulator and labs for a PIX class I had last Summer. It worked well for me and my little 501 I bought new off eBay for $375US icon_wink.gif
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow i like that
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    that's a great link!!!! thanks!!!
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the best pix simulator is a pix501.
    spend the money ... you wont be sorry.
    rm -rf /
    well then 515 or frankenpix ....
    rm -rf /
    darkuser wrote:
    well then 515 or frankenpix ....
    At $3000US new or $1500US used on eBay?

The simulator is cheaper. icon_wink.gif
    yeah .... i needs ti be grounded in reality.
    i have a 520 that was pulled from our network.
    we have the fwsm's now ....
    rm -rf /
  • pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I need pix simulator...
    anybody having Idea...
    do tell me...I need it..but O dont wanna spend moneyu ..
    regards
    pannu
    The URL is still up. It's free.
  • pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanx JD sir..but here we can do online practise. Any other URL u are having . do tell me.
    by d way thanx for telling this URL
  • HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone here taken the new exam? If so, how many questions refer to v7 of the IOS? v7 won't work on a 501, 506E, or 520. You CAN get an old 515 (not the new 515E) on eBay for under $750. There's one up rigt now for $500. The old 515 CAN be upgraded to the v7 IOS. The question is, how many questions refer to v7?
  • davidugadaviduga Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the PIX exam at the end of March - and I did not pass. It was all on 7.0 so you better be comfortable with the GUI as well as the command line. It was a very difficult exam IMO and I have over 2 years experience working with various PIX firewalls, yet I only have minimal experience with the 7.0 IOS and that is ultimately the reason that I did not pass. There are ASA questions (and simulations) that I were not comfortable with since I have never used an ASA... There were not many questions on basic configuration / setup of the PIX -- there were actually some more advanced questions than I had hoped (involving OSPF, etc). At least I know what to expect now...I plan on taking the next month to study hard and give it another try!
  • vindiyavindiya Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Erazer wrote:
    Hi guys
    i was wondering if there's any simulator available for the Cisco Pix Firewall ... I need a pix simulator just like the cisco router simulator from Boson , that allows me to create random networks and configure their routers/switches (in this case to allow me to conigure the pix)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    look Ma..a talking URL.... icon_eek.gif

Which translates to, thanks for the heads up, will have a look.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • b3ginn3rb3ginn3r Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PEMU is a pix emulator that runs on Windows or Linux. Here is a site that has video tutorials for running PEMU.

http://www.blindhog.net/category/pemu/
  • msimonemsimone Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 501 was a useful SIM for getting through the CSPFA back when they tested on PIX 6.x, but you can't upgrade it to 7.0. Buying the flash card for a PC to make a FrankenPIX is just as expensive as buying a new 515.

I'd really like to either get my hands on a cheap ASA, or a good simulator of one. My company is soon terminating support of the 6.x line, and we have a lot of 7.x and even 8.x coming online. There's some subtle changes in the commands that are causing me problems. (For example, it used to be you could show anything. Now you have to either do a show conf | grep x, or use some other contortions to get what you require.) I want to make sure I don't **** up one of my clients' boxes.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    PEMU (full PIX 525 emulator) is a great resource - you'll need your own serial/activation keys, ASDM and main images though. After that it works like a charm.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • protongeekprotongeek Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes there is a simulator. http://networksims.com These guys have it all. Also if yourlooking for CCNA and CCNPlevel sims the pirate bay has the Boson online with cracks and I have it and it works great. But the networksims comes with it all depending on whichyou purchase.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    PEMU is great. You can interface it with Dynamips no problem.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • protongeekprotongeek Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I agree PEMU seems really cool actually installing it and learning to use it today.