MAYDAY!! Packet Tracer Trouble

jondreajondrea Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am prepping using Todd Lammle's book and I have found that matching the equipment to the Lab is frustration me. Like on Page 359 of Chapter 8 in his 640-802 book (seventh edition). He states the routers he is using but I am having problems because his config calls for a 2811 router with switch card and 4 serial interfaces. So I plug into the simulators 2811 4 WIC-1T's and a NM-ESW161. Problem is the 2811 comes with only 2 Fastethernet interfaces and all the interface on the switch card are , by his config, supposed to be on the same VLAN. Leaving me short 2 Fastethernet interface.

Am I missing something? I have also seen little things like he uses f0/.. and fa0/.. notations in the same config when i though both denoted Fastethernet interfaces. for a second i though I missed something with Fiber interfaces or something.

Can anyone help me with this? Is it that I just aren't familar enough with the modules? Could it be my version of packet tracer? (5.3) by the way.

Comments

• wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    Not sure about the packet tracer issue (imo GNS3 is a much better option for studying) but fa0/... and f0/... are both referring to the same thing. Don't confuse yourself over that.
  • dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jondrea wrote: »
    I am prepping using Todd Lammle's book and I have found that matching the equipment to the Lab is frustration me. Like on Page 359 of Chapter 8 in his 640-802 book (seventh edition). He states the routers he is using but I am having problems because his config calls for a 2811 router with switch card and 4 serial interfaces. So I plug into the simulators 2811 4 WIC-1T's and a NM-ESW161. Problem is the 2811 comes with only 2 Fastethernet interfaces and all the interface on the switch card are , by his config, supposed to be on the same VLAN. Leaving me short 2 Fastethernet interface.

Am I missing something? I have also seen little things like he uses f0/.. and fa0/.. notations in the same config when i though both denoted Fastethernet interfaces. for a second i though I missed something with Fiber interfaces or something.

Can anyone help me with this? Is it that I just aren't familar enough with the modules? Could it be my version of packet tracer? (5.3) by the way.

Just use a switch. You don't have to copy his labs exactly the way they are.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When Todd Lammle wrote his book, he used live gear for his examples instead of Packet Tracer. There's a few commands he uses that don't work in Packet Tracer. Which lab are you working on (I don't have my book), I may already have it in PT.
  • jondreajondrea Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□

Lab is the first one configuring IP Routing. I will try and message you the clip if you can't see the insert.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do have that in PT. For the Corp router, use a 2811 and add the NM-ESW-161 module into the big slot, put 2 - WIC-2T in the bottom two slots.
    For the wireless laptop, see this thread here on Todd Lammle's Forum, scroll down to post #11.

Page 351 dot11radio config - typos - Lammle Forum
  • jondreajondrea Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I really appreciate this.
    :)