Yeah, it's another passed topic.

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
I just got back from the testing center a bit ago, scored a 721. Not great, oh well. I suppose this means I'm qualified for MCSA now. Does everyone else feel happy or proud of themselves when they pass an exam? I never do. I wonder what that's about.

I didn't expect a lot of the questions, they seemed to cover topics in 290 in part, so for anybody considering this exam I'd recommend doing the 290 first.

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude....
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • pmekapmeka Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! What was your study method?
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Congrats!

may i ask how it is that you are taking exams so close to each other?
    i remember just a couple weeks ago berating you for expressing your unfounded icon_wink.gif opinion on the 290 exam.
    icon_cool.gif
    *no you can't join the cool club*
    witty comment
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a lot of free time, and I spend around 80% of my day studying. It takes me about a week to study for an exam. I actually only studied the 291 for four days which is what I attribute my lower than normal score to. (That and this is a pretty hard test.)

As for study method, that's about it study as much as possible until I feel I'm ready.
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    study for a week?? that cannot be a pleasant experience, that might explain why there is no "high" after passing. i take three months per exam, and really get into the details, and when i pass it feels great, i think because i put so much time into preparing for the exam scoring alittle higher also makes me feel even better.

you must have a lot of hands on experience, because there is no way a week is long enough. after just four chapters on the MS exam i have this much in notes i need to transfer to flash cards and memorize. no way three times this amount of data can be absorbed in a week:

--paste--

-what is APIPA stand for?
    Automatic Private IP Addressing
    -what is another term for a network's physical infrastructure?
    Topology
    -name some well known protocols included in the TCP/IP stack?
    Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), Internet Protocol (IP), Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), User Datagram
    Protocol (UDP), DNS and HTTP.
    -by default what naming system is used in workgroups?
    netbios
    -explain why active directory and dns domains overlap most of the time?
    AD and DNS domains are different entities, but it is simpler to have the DNS and AD names match
    -what is windows version of novell's ipx/spx?
    NWLink
    -name the four layer reference model of TCP/IP from bottom to top?
    network interface, internet, transport, application layers. (now i try again)
    -protocols that exist at application layer?
    telnet, ftp, smtp, dns, rip, snmp
    -protocols that exist at transport layer?
    tcp, udp
    -protocols that exist at internet layer?
    arp, ip, igmp, icmp
    -physical media types at network interface layer?
    ethernet, token ring, frame relay, atm
    -briefly explain steps of tcp/ip layers?
    network interface layer: standards for physical media and electrical signaling
    internet layer: information is packaged, addressed, and routed to network destinations
    transport layer: standards of data transport are determined
    application layer: end-user data is manipulated, packaged and sent to and from transport layer ports
    -explain ARP?
    ARP finds the physical cmputers for which IP packets are destined withing each network segment. After using ARP to look up
    hardware addresses, TCP/IP hosts store known IP-to-MAC address mappings in a local ARP cache.
    -how can you veiw the arp cache and clear arp cache?
    by using arp -a and clear it by using arp -d
    -explain IP?
    internet protocol, responsible for addressing and routing packets between hosts.ip does not attempt to recover from errors like
    lost packets, misrouted, etc.. that responsibility lies with higher level protocols such as TCP.
    -explain ICMP?
    hosts and routers that use IP can report errors and exchange limited control and status information. the ping command sends a
    ICMP echo request.
    -explain TCP?
    receives data from the application layer and processes the data as a stream of bytes. these bytes are then grouped into segments
    that TCP then numbers and sequences for delivery to a network host. when tcp receives a stream of data from a network host
    it sends the data to the intended application.
    -know these port numbers:
    ftp 20/21
    http 80
    https 443
    pptp 1723
    l2tp 500,1701,4500
    -explain UDP?
    UDP is a connectionless service that provides only best-effort datagram delivery to network hosts. DNS relies on UDP becuase
    it is faster.
    -give an example of a network client and explain them?
    network clients are software components tied to a network connection , such as client for microsoft networks
    -what three components allow network connections to allow network hosts to communicate?
    network clients, services and protocols associated with (bound to) the connection
    -what are network services and name a couple?
    software components tied to a network connection, they provide additional features to network connections.
    they include file and printer sharing for microsoft networks, network load balancing, qos packet scheduler
    -what are network protocols and name a few?
    basic software components such as TCP/IP and AppleTalk that allow a computer to communicate with other
    computers.
    -what are network clients and network services built upon?
    network protocols
    -where do you access the "bind-order" for network connections?
    while in network connections window choose advanced, advanced settings
    -in advanced settings in the network connection window in provider order, are these orders adapter specific?
    no, the provider order will be followed for every adapter
    -what is APIPA?
    Automatic Private IP Addressing computer uses IP in range 169.254.0.1-169.254.255.254
    -on what OS's is APIPA available?
    98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003
    -how do you configure DNS, WINS, and Gateway on a pc with an APIPA address?
    use an alternate configuration
    -can you disable APIPA and if so, how?
    Set alternate configuration
    For one adapter change this reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
    \interface (add the registry entry IPAutoconfigurationEnabled with value of 0) (REG_DWORD data type)
    For multiple adapters change this reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    (add the registry entry IPAutoconfigurationEnabled with value of 0) (REG_DWORD data type)
    -what two scenarios would lead to an all zeros IP at ipconfig?
    ip was released and not renewed, or machine cannot get an ip and APIPA was disabled
    -what is a multihomed computer and what can they be used for with 2003?
    servers with two nics and they can be used as routers when connected to two separate networks
    -in default workgroups what protocol handles file sharing, security, browsing, and printing?
    CIFS
    -what are network connections automatically configured with?
    client for ms networks, file and printer sharing and TCP/IP
    -when installing a networking component on a vpn or dial up connection what tab must you select?
    networking tab then choose install
    -if you install client services for netware is it only bound to that adapter?
    no, it is bound to all adapters, remove it from the adapters that do not need it
    -what is the name of the group that manages the top level distribution of public IPs?
    IANA or Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
    -what are private ip addresses and what are the ranges?
    the IANA reserved a range of IP addresses and did not release them for public internet use, these are
    to be used on private networks
    10.0.0.0 10.255.255.254
    172.16.0.0 172.31.255.254
    192.168.0.0 192.168.255.254
    -what is the dotted decimal notation form of an IP address?
    -list potential values in binary octet?
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    -convert 10101100 00011111 11100110 11011010
    -convert 172.17.7.27
    10101100 00010001 00000111 00011011
    -if you see this 1110 in a scientific calculator what is the actual binary number?
    00001110, the calculator leaves off the leftmost "0s"
    -usually routers do not need to know the exact host that packets are going to, what do they usually need?
    the destination network address
    -an IP address is broken into two parts what are they?
    network ID and host ID
    -why can't a network ID or host ID be all ones?
    this is interpeted as a broadcast 255.255.255.255
    -why can't a network or host ID be all zeros?
    this is interpeted to mean "this network only"
    -what must the host ID portion of the IP address be?
    it must be unique to the local network ID
    -give details of class A IP range?
    value of first octet is 1-126 network ID is first octet host ID is second, third, and fourth octet,
    there are 126 networks within this class, and 16,777,214 number of hosts per network value of first bits
    is always 0
    -give details of class B IP range?
    value of first octet is 128-191 network ID is first and second octet and host is third and fourth octet,
    there are 16,384 networks within this class and 65,534 hosts per network. value of first bits is 10
    -give details of class C IP range?
    value of first octet is 192-223 network ID is first second and third octet and host is fourth octet,
    there are 2,097,152 networks within class with 254 hosts per network value of first bits is 110
    -give details of class D IP range?
    first octet is 224-239 reserved for multicast addressing
    -give details of class E IP range?
    first octet is 240-254 reserved for experimental use
    -in a subnet mask which blocks? a 1 or a 0?
    a 1 blocks
    -when sending packets how does the host determine if the destination is on the local subnet or remote?
    the host does a ANDing between it's IP address and the local subnet mask. ANDing two numbers results
    in a number with all zeros unless both original binary numbers have 1-bits. 172.20.16.200 and 255.255.0.0
    would result in 172.20.0.0 then the same is done with the destination IP and local subnet, so
    172.21.26.200 and 255.255.0.0 result in 172.21. 172.20 and 172.21 are not identical so this address is
    deemed remote by the host.
    -what do you read this 131.106.16.200/24 and what is it known as?
    131.106.16.200 with a subnet mask 24 1 bits long 255.255.255.0
    network prefix or classless interdomain routing (CIDR)
    -class a network prefix?
    -class b network prefix?
    -class c network prefix?
    -when would a host send a broadcast and when would a host send to default gateway?
    if destination is determined to be remote the gateway would be used if the destination is local the
    broadcast would be used to find the MAC address and the packet is sent
    -explain the steps a machine goes through to get ip configuration specific to the lan ip settings?
    first the machine looks for static informaiton (subnet, ip, etc..), if not there, it looks for
    dhcp info, if not there, it uses alternate configuration, if not there it assigns a APIPA address
    -can you configure nonlocal-area connections with alternate static IP addresses or APIPA addresses?
    no
    -can you assign gateway, dns, and wins settings in alternate TCP/IP configuration?
    no
    -what is this subnet ID in binary 192.168.15.0/24
    -what do routers do with broadcast traffic?
    broadcast traffic is blocked
    -how do you determine the number of hosts a subnet can have?
    raise 2 to the power of the number of bits dedicated to the host portion of the address and subtract 2.
    example: 192.168.115.0/24, 8 bits left for host so 2 to the 8th power = 256-2= 254
    -why do you subtract the number 2 when figuring out the number of hosts a subnet can have?
    because 2 raised the number of bits power is basically determining the number of combinations allowed while
    using 8 bits. two of those combinations are always all zeros and all ones (which can't be used) so you
    must subtract 2. In this case it would be 00000000 and 11111111 that cannot be used
    -how do you determine the subnets available when the subnet mask is extended beyond the default?
    you raise 2 to the power of the available bits allocated to the subnet ID. For example with 192.168.0.0
    and a default subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 changed to 255.255.255.0, the third octet now has 8 bits to be
    used as denoting subnet ID. 2 to the 8th power is 256 available subnets.
    -how can you quickly determine the number of bits you need to assign to the subnet ID?
    subtract 1 from the number of subnets you need. enter this number in the calculator and click the bin button.
    count the number of bit places and that is the number of bits you need in the subnet ID
    -how do you calculate the number of host IDs per subnet?
    2 to the xth power -2 where x equals the number of bits in the host id
    -how do you calculate how many bits you need to assign to the host Id?

Chapter 3 and 4

-how do you install the full network monitor and also how do you install only the network monitor driver?
    to install the full version go to add/remove programs and add/remove windows components, management and monitoring
    tools, network monitor tools. to install just the driver go to network connection and choose install, protocol,
    and network monitor driver.
    -name and describe the four panes in the full version of network monitor?
    graph: displays the current activity as a set of bar charts including the following status information:
    % of network utilization, frames per second, bytes per second, broadcasts per second, multicasts per second
    session statistics: displays a summary of the conversations between two hosts and indicates which host is initiating
    broadcasts and multicassts
    station statistics: summary of the total number of frames initiated by a host, the number of frames and bytes sent
    and received, and the number of broadcast and multicast frames initiated.
    total statistics: statistics for the traffic detected on the network as a whole, the statistics for the frames
    captured, per second utilization statistics, and network adapter card statistics.
    -Name three things you can find with full version of network monitor?
    MAC address of a network card, the Globally unique identifier, or the port used by a protocol.
    -where are you taken when double clicking any frame in the summary pane of network monitor and what sections are there?
    taken to the three-pane view which includes summary pane, details pane, and the hexadecimal pane.
    -name and breifly describe nine columns in the summary pane of network monitor?
    frame: all frames numbered in order of capture
    time: capture time relative to begining of capture process
    src MAC Addr: source mac address or mac address of router that forwarded packet
    dst MAC Addr: target computer hardware address
    protocol: lists the highest protocol that network monitor recognizes with the frame
    description: summary of frame's contents
    src other addr: additional identifying address for originator. might be an IP or IPX address.
    dst other addr: additinal identifying address for destination.
    type other addr: which type of address is displayed in the previous two columns
    -explain details pane of network monitor?
    displays protocol information for the frame currently highlighted in the summary pane. when frame contains
    several protocol layers the outermost is displayed first.
    -explain hexadecimal pane:
    displays in hexadecimal format the content of the selected frame.
    -which two things compose network monitor?
    administrative tool called network monitor and an agent called the network monitor driver
    -why would you only install the network monitor driver on a system?
    if you need to remotely monitor the system from another system with the full network monitor client on it
    -what service is responsible for directing name resolution? what is this service also known as?
    DNS Client Service, this service first tries with DNS and then with it tries with netbios. also known as resolver.
    -what is the biggest difference between netbios and dns
    dns is hierarchical and netbios is not. dns hostnames are part of a larger fully qualified domain name
    -what is primary dns suffix?
    a primary dns suffix to be used in name resolution and name registration, also konwn as the primary domain name
    -what is connection specifix dns suffix?
    dns suffix tied to an adapter, also known as adapter DNS suffix
    -what is the full computer name?
    a type of fqdn. the same computer can be identified by many fqdn's but on the fqdn that concatenates the host
    name and the primary dns suffix represents the full computer name.
    -compare dns and netbois names?
    netbios names are flat, unicod characters, numbers, spaces, and symbols, up to 15 characters, name service includes
    wins, netbios broadcast, lmhosts file
    dns names are hierarchical, use upper and lower case letters, numbers, hyphens. 63 bytes, name service is DNS
    and hosts file
    -two name resolution methods in dns:
    server query with nslookup and client dns cache
    -netbios name resolution methods:
    name lookup in the netbios name cache
    wins server query
    query of local network through netbios broadcasts
    name lookup in the lmhosts file, found in windows\system32\drivers\etc folder
    -what is nbtstat and what are these switches? -c -R
    nbtstat is a netbios related tool. -c list names in the netbios name cache, -R purges the local netbios name cache
    -what scenerios must you use DNS?
    networks using 2000 or 2003 domains, dns intranet or internet
    -when is netbios required?
    backward compatibility with earlier versions of windows and compatibility with netbios applications. NT domains,
    as well as workgroups using ms 95, 98, ME and NT. network browsing via the windows network icon.
    -advantage of disabling netbios?
    improved network security, simplify administration.
    -disadvantage of disabling netbios?
    network browsing is disabled via ms windows network icon, network browsing is made possible by the browse lists
    built by the computer browser service which relies on netbios. decreased fault tolerance and third party apps.
    -what is the universe's top level domain and who manages it?
    "." Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
    -name some top level domains?
    .com, .biz, .org, .net
    -what is the dns client service?
    a dns resolver, it uses the dns protocol to query for information from DNS servers. it also caches dns mappings
    -what are resources records?
    they are DNS database entries that are used to answer DNS client queries. resource records are each described as
    a specific record type such as address (A), alias (CNAME) and mail exchanger (MX)
    -what three pieces of information are contained in a client DNS query to the server?
    DNS domain name, stated as a FQDN, Specified query type which can specify either a resource record by type or a
    specialized type of query operation, and a specified class for the DNS domain name.
    -explain DNS query steps?
    -name query begins at client computer and is passed to the DNS client service for resolution
    -when query cannot be resolved locally, DNS servers are queried for resolution
    -go into detail and explain dns query steps?
    -name query begins and is passed to the dns client service, this service checks the hosts file and the local
    resources records obtained in response from previous DNS queries
    -next the dns client service queries the dns servers in order according to the network connection tcp/ip settings.
    -the dns server sees if it can answer the query authoritatively, it tries information located on the locally
    configured zone on the server, next the server checks it's "cached" queries from other dns servers.
    -if all else fails and if recursion is active the server checks with other dns servers.
    -what is recursion?
    -a dns server will contact other dns servers when itself cannot answer a dns query.
    -what is root hints and when are they used?
    a list of preliminary resource records used by the DNS service to locate servers authoritative for the root of the
    DNS domain namespace tree.
    -by default where is the root hints file stored in 2003 and what is the name of the file?
    cache.dns and it is stored in WINDOWS\System32\Dns folder
    -what types of answers can be given back to the client during a dns query?
    authoritative, positve, referral, negative
    -what is a authoritative answer?
    a positive answer returned to the client with the authoritative bit set in the DNS message. This bit indicates
    that the answer was attained from an authoritative dns server.
    -what is a poisitive answer?
    contains the queried resource record matching the queried name and record type specified in the original query message
    -what is a referral answer?
    when recursion is not configured the dns server will respond with additional resource records that help the client
    continue it's search via iteration.
    -what is iteration?
    through this process the client itself attempts to contact additional DNS servers to resolve a name
    -what is a negative answer?
    the dns server responds that either the queried name doesn't exist, or the queried name exists but no records of the specified
    type exist for that name
    -what is the name of the DNS service for client and server?
    dns client service, and dns server service
    -what is the dns client cache, where does it live and what is another alias for this?
    also called dns resolver cache, it lives in memory and when the dns client service is started any records from the hosts file
    are loaded into the dns resolver cache.
    -where does the dns hosts file live?
    WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Etc
    -what happens when you add a host entry into the hosts file?
    it is automatically entered into the dns resolver cache
    -name three ways to clear the dns server cache?
    restarting the dns server service, right click server icon in console tree and select clear cache, and by typing dnscmd /clearcache
    when server support tools are installed.
    -what is the default ttl set to?
    3600 seconds or 1 hour
    -When is the DNS client service and DNS server service installed?
    client service is installed on XP/2003 by default, and server service is installed when the dns role is added
    -how can you get to the configure a dns server wizard after it has closed the wizard?
    from the console right click on dns server and choose run configure a dns server...
    -in what two categories are zones created?
    forward and reverse lookup
    -how can you create a root server in DNS and what can't you do once this change is made?
    create a zone with a ".", and after this change you can no longer forward server to lookup queries
    -where do you create new zones?
    choose configure a dns server or right click and choose new zone on forward or reverse lookup folders in console
    -what types of new zones can you create?
    primary, secondary, stub
    -what is a primary zone?
    zone data provides the original source data for all domains in the zone. zone data can be backed up from this zone to a secondary zone
    -what is a secondary zone?
    authoritative backup zone for the primary zone or for other secondary zones
    -what is a stub zone?
    copy of a zone containing only those records necessary to identify the authoritative DNS servers for the master Zone.
    -name the four types of dns servers?
    primary, secondary, stub, caching-only
    -when is a primary server created and what types are there?
    whenever a primary zone is added, newly created zones are always this type. two types are standard primary and primary zones
    integrated with AD
    -describe standard primary zones?
    only a single server can load an host a master copy of the zone. if you create a zone and keep it as a standard primary zone, no
    additional primary servers for the zone are permitted. there is a single point of failure, if you lose the primary server for a zone
    that zone cannot be updated but queries can be run as long as secondary servers for the zone are available
    -describe AD integrated zones?
    zone data is stored and replicated in AD. increases fault tolerance because every DC running a DNS server into a primary server. to
    make a server AD integrated it must first be a DC.
    -describe secondary servers?
    good design specs recomment that at least two DNS servers be used to host each zone. for standard primary zones a secondary server
    is required to allow the zone to appear to other DNS servers on the network. secondary servers acquire zone information from
    masters, the master is configured during the creation process.
    -where should secondary dns servers be located?
    accross routers, on other subnets or accross wide area network links
    -describe stub servers
    they host stub zones, abbreviated copies of a zone that contain only a list of the authoritative name servers for its master zone.
    stub servers attempt to resolve queries for computer names in the master zone by quering the listed name servers.
    -describe caching only servers
    they do not host zones and are not authoritative, they only cache the request they receive. initially start with no cache, and build
    it over time. if you want to keep down name resolution traffic accross wan links without increasing zone transfer traffic a
    caching only server will work
    -how to setup a caching only server?
    install dns role, do not configure zones and make sure server root hints are configured correctly
    -what two resource records are created by default in a new zone?
    start of authority (SOA) records corresponding to the zone and a name server (NS) record corresponding to the local DNS server created
    for the zone
    -how do you add a resource record to a zone?
    right click on the zone and choose other new records, select the resource record type, configure.
    -give three resource record formats and where they live?
    binary during lookups and responses, in DNS console graphically, and text files in zone database file
    -in the zone database files what syntax is used?
    Owner, TTL, Class, Type, RDATA
    -explain the owner syntax in the zone database files?
    name of the host or the dns domain to which this resource record belongs
    -explain the time to live syntaxt in the zone database files?
    32 bit integer that represents in seconds the length of time that a dns server or client should cache this entry
    before it's discarded. field is optional if not specified the client uses the minimum ttlin the soa record
    -explain the class syntax in the zone database files?
    field that defines the protocol family in use. for windows dns it is always class internet. optional field not
    automatically generated
    -explain type class syntax in the zone database files?
    field that identifies the type of resource record such as A or SRV
    -explain RDATA syntax in the zone database files?
    resource record data. it is a variable length field that represents the information being described by the
    resource record type. in an A resource record this is the 32 bit IP address that represents the host identified
    by the owner.
    -name the most common types of records you need to create manually in dns?
    host (A), Alias (CNAME), Mail exchanger (MX), Pointer (PTR), Service location (SRV)
    -what is a host and how can they be added?
    points hosts to ip addresses, manually by dns console or dnscmd tool command line, pc's running 2000, xp, 2003
    use the dhcp client service to dynamically register dns settings. older versions of windows can have their
    dns A record updated by a 2003 dhcp server if used.
    -what is a cname?
    it's a dns record that acts as an alias and points at an existing DNS host (A) record.
    -what are MX resource records
    used by email applications to locate a mail server within a zone. often multiple MX records are created to
    provide fault tolerance. multiple servers are given server preference value with lower value representing
    higher preference.
    -what is a PTR resource record?
    these are pointers only used in reverse lookup zones
    -what are SRV resource records?
    service location rescource records are used to specify the location of specific services in a domain. only srv
    aware clients can use this type of record. 2003 AD is a srv aware client.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That was a lot of notes! icon_eek.gif

I do think that the 291 would be very hard to prepare for and pass in a week without prior experience working with this stuff. However, I think you should feel good about passing, because I am not sure why you would not. If you feel no rejoice in passing your exams then why pursue a career in IT?

When I pass an exam I feel like I have really accomplished something important to reach my career goal.
    chuchuchu wrote:
    study for a week?? that cannot be a pleasant experience, that might explain why there is no "high" after passing. i take three months per exam, and really get into the details, and when i pass it feels great, i think because i put so much time into preparing for the exam scoring alittle higher also makes me feel even better.

you must have a lot of hands on experience, because there is no way a week is long enough. after just four chapters on the MS exam i have this much in notes i need to transfer to flash cards and memorize. no way three times this amount of data can be absorbed in a week:

I don't take notes or use flash cards. Nor do I have extensive hands on experience. As for score, I really think that if I had taken another couple of days I would have done much better. I took a week to study for 270 and 290 and scored 905 and 884, respectively. Which I don't think are bad scores. Keep in mind, I study around 12 hours everyday. You learn different than I do, nothing wrong with that, I am just able to absorb information more quickly than some. Perhaps you're right about the reason I don't feel overjoyed when I pass a test, but why spend longer studying for something when I don't need to?

As for Tekniques question, I enjoy IT and am good at it. Why should I be excited about doing something thousands of others have also done?
    do you feel that within one week you are capable of obtaining and retaining a deep understanding of the concepts?
    witty comment
    Yes, I know I will.

Do you think you will retain your knowledge?
    yes. and i typically spend two months studying for an exam.

not trying to dis your way, perhaps you can in fact learn everything in one week but i've never heard of anyone managing that (except with braindumps - no, not accusing you - or with already lots of experience), but it sounds more like cramming facts and figures which you will have difficulty remembering after a few more exams.
    just saying...
    witty comment
    Well you've never met me. Just in case I need to say it, no I've never used braindumps. I don't have to cram for exams.

This is why I haven't said anything about how long I study, but since you asked, I answered. I appreciate being insulted just because it doesn't seem likely to you. Yes, I know you said you weren't trying to "dis" me, but just because you say that doesn't make it true.
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif

Nothing is impossible but i guess its just that not so many people can manage it due to other daily tasks like work etc. I think its very possible if you put 12 hours per day as you say.

The most important factor to keep in mind is that certs are merely papers at the end of the day and its what you can do that counts not what the cert claims you can do.

Goodluck on the future exams if you don't crash your mental memory that is:D

Cheers.
    Hard times on planet earth.
    i didn't mean to insult you, but one week of study does = cramming.
    witty comment
    _omni_ wrote:
    i didn't mean to insult you, but one week of study does = cramming.

Man, screw you. I learned the topics and concepts for the exam, cramming entails basically trying to memorize for a test, at least in my opinion. Your feeling inadaquate because I can learn faster than you is not my problem. No one else here is trying to tell me I don't deserve the certs I have because I didn't study as long as them, and you know why? It's because they know it doesn't really matter how long you study, as long as you learn the material.
    well i don't know you, so i cannot say any more about it.

certain things are simply common sense. and personally if i were hiring and knew that you, without experience, had passed exams after studying for them only a week or less, i wouldn't give your cv a second look.

it is not simply "my opinion" that a week is simply too short a period to fully grasp all the relevant subjects without experience, if you made a poll you would see that the vast majority would agree with me.
    you may be a fast learner, but unless you have photographic memory some things just take *some* time.
    2-3 weeks would have been more reasonable.

as i said, since i don't know you and therefore can't know for sure, i will try to leave it at that.
    witty comment
    Unfortunately for me you're not completely wrong about trying to get a job. At least the people that matter (my professional references) know that I'm capable.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kalebksp, i dont see why your getting worked up over this.Omni was just giving his opinion and as he stated its not personal as he doesnt know you.If you can learn and absorb this info in a short space of time great for you.Myself i spend alot of time nick picking over the smallest of details and i wish i could just go do the exams like you,but i know in a couple of years i will still remember more than 50% of what i have learned even if i never use again.
    Most employers want fast learners which you have proven yourself to be,so good luck to you!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    you don't absorb information faster than i do, 12 hours a day over a week is over 80 hours, which is roughly the amount of time i put into studying over a 2-3 month period. i could cram like you do, but to me that would be a horrible experience of a week. it's great you can focus on the material that intensely. you said you have experience, and to me that is the difference here, if you had no experience i would say you are braindumping or lying, but since you have epxerience i think you are legit.
    chuchuchu wrote:
    you don't absorb information faster than i do, 12 hours a day over a week is over 80 hours, which is roughly the amount of time i put into studying over a 2-3 month period. i could cram like you do, but to me that would be a horrible experience of a week. it's great you can focus on the material that intensely. you said you have experience, and to me that is the difference here, if you had no experience i would say you are braindumping or lying, but since you have epxerience i think you are legit.

Thank you for not thinking I'm lying or cheating. I probably do absorb information faster than some, but certainly not all and perhaps not even the majority, I didn't mean to say or imply otherwise.

As for why omni pissed me off so much, how would you feel if someone was trying to tell you that although you have accomplished the same thing you're not as qualified? I once knew a kid who with no studying whatsoever got a 1600 on his SAT, another person I knew scored 132 on an IQ test when they were nine, and a third person could do almost any calculation in their head (he was also autistic, so much like the character in the movie Rain Man). I'm not saying I'm at those people's levels, but it goes to show you that many unlikely things are possible.
    i get what you are saying, but you also have to understand that sometimes people post some weird stuff on here, we are just busting your chops, nothing personal.

i knew this guy in college who was a super braniac, but he slept like 18 hours a day (he developed bedsores) and he was a social idiot. one of those guys you throw work to down in the basement or something, keep him away from sunlight.
    chuchuchu wrote:
    i knew this guy in college who was a super braniac, but he slept like 18 hours a day (he developed bedsores) and he was a social idiot. one of those guys you throw work to down in the basement or something, keep him away from sunlight.

That's not uncommon, many of the most intelligent people are not very good in social situations, or they are very obsessive. I guess their brains are just wired that much different.
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    good job

i think 12hrs a day is the same amount of time some spend over 2-3 months...

congratulations on the cert
    get back to studying!!!
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally can't keep focused for more than a couple of hours. I can absorb huge amounts of info, but only so much detail/concept material.

I have a rough time working less than a month on anything that I don't have huge amounts of exp with, so it's awesome if you can absorb it like a sponge.

I think the passion for it greatly helps. If you're told by work that you MUST learn this info by X time or else, you might hate it but get through it. If you do it because you love it, it might go in a bit easier!

My techskills material usually breaks it down into 60-80 hours, which is about the same as 12 hrs a day for a week. If you can keep focused for that long, do it, and keep it, you are a genius, and should feel proud of that.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • jpasterikjpasterik Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Kalebksp, I wish I could do what you do. I agree with you in that everyone is different in how they learn and I have no doubt that you can learn and retain the information you study, I know several people who work that way. As for me, I can read things through all I want to maybe survive, but I am much better if I can go hands-on with a Sim or real-life (which I don't get to do) to see how it is done and once I do it, it makes a whole lot more sense to me. Congrats on your Certs.

I'm studying for Round 2 of 70-291 now...bombed it 1st attempt, so it's back to the books and Virtual PC to get me the hands on I need...
    "Remember, never ask a geek "why"; just nod your head and back away slowly... "