Have you ever stuided for 2 different certs at once?

avxavx Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Recently I passed my Network+, So I wanted to go for my CCNA next, but currently I'm in a class thats geared towards the MCP(exam 70-270). Since alot of the net+ topics are still fresh in my head, I don't want to wait to long attempt to get my CCNA, plus I heard/read that cisco certs carry some weight.

Have you ever studiedfor 2 at once?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm studying for three certs at once right now, but they all overlap in subject matter, so it's no big deal for me to do so.

If the certs differ greatly in subject matter, such as 70-270 and the CCNA, it'd be quicker and more efficient to just study exclusively for one.
  • avxavx Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    If the certs differ greatly in subject matter, such as 70-270 and the CCNA, it'd be quicker and more efficient to just study exclusively for one.

Well I was thinking about the CCNA Intro exam, since that part seems like a beefed up network+..

what three are you studying for?
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Studying for Cisco and MS exams at the same time is liking trying to mix water and oil. You'll only endup wasting plenty of time if not getting confused. My advice is to focus on one thing at a time.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Yes. I am currently studying for 290 and CCNA. It depends on your intelligence. It doesn't bother me at all. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't think it's based on intelligence, more likely it's based on learning style.

I've studied for more than one at once, but only because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next and was trying to get a feel for the material.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    kalebksp wrote:
    I don't think it's based on intelligence, more likely it's based on learning style.

I've studied for more than one at once, but only because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next and was trying to get a feel for the material.

I would say it's actually more based on a combination of learning style, previous experience, and current job role.
    Yes. I am currently studying for 290 and CCNA. It depends on your intelligence. It doesn't bother me at all.

Wait untill you sit for the CCNA then you can tell me about intelligence icon_lol.gif
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Alien wrote:
    Wait untill you sit for the CCNA then you can tell me about intelligence icon_lol.gif

You don't know me and you don't know how I study, so don't assume that I am going to fail. icon_rolleyes.gif
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    kalebksp wrote:
    My point was that you'll probably achieve two dissimilar certs more quickly if you study for them in serial rather than in parallel.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this definitely depends on what you're studying. I have been reading multiple books at the same time while studying for MCSE and I think it is better because a lot of the technologies overlap one another.

I would imagine studying for Microsoft and Cisco at the same time would be definitely harder as you really have to switch gears since both cert paths are vendor specific.

If you can do it, more power to ya! icon_cool.gif
    I didn't assume and really don't care whether you pass or fail. I just asked you to wait untill you sit for the CCNA while studying for Microsoft at the same time then you can consider your intelligence theory. Honestly given your intelligence i assume you are going to pass and i promise you a case of beer and pizza if you pass it first time :D
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I preped for Net+ and iNET+ at the same time, as when I took them there was a ton of overlap.

Also 70-210/215 & 218 only I haven't taken the 218 exam as I had a baby and just haven't gotten back into the 218. My efforts are concentrated on hardware solutions and not so much network support anylonger.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    avx wrote:
    Yes -- they just all happened to be Cisco Certs.

I haven't seen a school or college where you do only one course for 3 weeks straight before you move on to the next one (except for a 3 week summer session that only offered fluff courses). At most full-time schools you do multiple different courses at the same time per term.

Its really a matter of time and focus, and as someone else said -- learning style. If you're stuck on a topic, you can keep churning through the same material until you get it or are bored to tears and give up and move on to the next topic -- or you can go study something else and hopefully come back to the original troublesome topic refreshed from successfully being able to advance your knowledge in another certification. If you're making progress in other studies, you're less likely to get discouraged when you hit a rough spot -- or a boring spot.

That said -- it is easier to work on only one certification at a time if work tends to expand to fill all available hours -- or if you have little kids -- a new baby -- or teenagers -- a life -- or friends, family, pets, significant others, etc..... and can't guarantee a consistant study time.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ubergeekubergeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    avx wrote:

Yes .. Currently I am studying for 4 different certs. The good thing is it is on the same track (Security) currently I am studying for my CCIE sec lab + CCSE NGX + JNCIS + CISSP (which I am planning to take by next spring).

Though it may seem suicidal, it's kinda easy to learn since the technology doesn't overlap and the main idea is still there. (just became vendor specific).
    Thank you for calling Cisco Technical Assistance Center.. This is Edward how may I help you?
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CNA 4.11 and MCP Windows 2000 server exams on the same day!

I swore to never do that again. Much easier and better to focus on one subject and actually use and practise what you learn.

And if you are working with Desktops and Cisco swicthes and routers you are perhaps not working in a company large enough to get the hands on experience you need to pass the exams.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I always study for multiple exams until a couple of weeks before an exam. The last weeks I focus only the exam I scheduled.
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    I studied for A+ and Nework+ at the same time, that was a blast!! but my brain was completely wired after that!! :D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!