Options

No voice ports?

ben1980ben1980 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Pls bear with me I'm new to voice and trying to set-up a home lab,

After going through the CCNA Voice OCG for a couple of weeks I didn't like the way it briefly touched on subjects with-out giving a real indepth understanding that I wanted, so I've decided to study the CCNP Voice exams starting with CVoice which paints a much better picture. I have 6 years experience and have CCNP r/s

Hope to be done in about a year, then will take the CCNA Voice exam after completing all 5 CCNP V exams.

this is my lab, would you recommend anything else for this track?

i have following equipment

4x 2801
1x 2811
2x 2620xm
2x 3560 poe

several 7960's, 7940's, analogue phones

several HWIC'S, 2 x VIC2-2FXS cards, 1 x VIC3-4FXS/DID, 1 x VWIC-2MFT-E1, 2 x VWIC-1MFT-E1 So I'm trying to put together a lab but have stumbled on a problem. When I install VIC3-4FXS/DID into the 2801's the card is recognised in show inventory and show version, but not in show voice port summary, can anyone explain this pls?

without the VIC3-4FXS/DID installed i get this output, when I install it I still get this output.

How can I have voice ports on the summary below when I power up without it fitted or any other voice ports fitted?

Router#sho voice port summary IN OUT
PORT CH SIG-TYPE ADMIN OPER STATUS STATUS EC
=============== == ============ ===== ==== ======== ======== ==
50/0/1 1 efxs up up on-hook idle y
50/0/1 2 efxs up up on-hook idle y
50/0/2 1 efxs up up on-hook idle y

PWR FAILOVER PORT PSTN FAILOVER PORT

When I fit the card into the slot then power it up this is what I get..

Router#sho version
Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 20-Mar-12 18:33 by prod_rel_team

Cisco 2801 (revision 6.0) with 360448K/32768K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ111872EN
2 FastEthernet interfaces
2 Serial(sync/async) interfaces
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
4 Voice FXS interfaces
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
1000944K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Router#sho inventory
NAME: "chassis", DESCR: "2801 chassis"
PID: CISCO2801 , VID: V03 , SN: FCZ111872EN

NAME: "motherboard", DESCR: "C2801 Motherboard with 2 Fast Ethernet"
PID: CISCO2801 , VID: V03 , SN: FOC11130CF7

NAME: "WIC/VIC/HWIC 1", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - Serial (1T)"
PID: WIC-1T= , VID: 1.0, SN: 35157407

NAME: "WIC/VIC 2", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - Serial (1T)"
PID: WIC-1T= , VID: 1.0, SN: 35540697

NAME: "WIC/VIC/HWIC 3", DESCR: "3rd generation four port FXS DID voice interface daughtercard"
PID: VIC3-4FXS/DID , VID: V03 , SN: FOC16100MA7

sh diag:

WIC/VIC/HWIC Slot 3:
3rd generation - FXS DID Voice daughter card (4 port)
Hardware Revision : 1.0
Top Assy. Part Number : 800-33583-01
Board Revision : E0
Deviation Number : 0
Fab Version : 07
PCB Serial Number : FOC16100MA7
RMA Test History : 00
RMA Number : 0-0-0-0
RMA History : 00
Product (FRU) Number : VIC3-4FXS/DID
Version Identifier : V03
CLEI Code : IPUIA6JRAC
Longitudinal Calibration : 01 10 10 8F B3 10 10 98
76 10 10 9F 7F 10 10 5C
EEPROM format version 4

but when i do a..

Router#sho voice port summary
IN OUT
PORT CH SIG-TYPE ADMIN OPER STATUS STATUS EC
=============== == ============ ===== ==== ======== ======== ==
50/0/1 1 efxs up up on-hook idle y
50/0/1 2 efxs up up on-hook idle y
50/0/2 1 efxs up up on-hook idle y

PWR FAILOVER PORT PSTN FAILOVER PORT
================= ==================

the card is not showing, but this port50/0/1 is?

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In show voice port summary, ports starting in slot 50/x/x are efxs, or to the rest of us, IP phones. As it unlikely we will ever be able to afford a router with 50 modules, Cisco picked a high enough number and said "here be IP phones". These do not require DSP resources to be installed in the router as they are built into the phone itself.

On the other hand, E1/T1, FXS/FXO/E&M cards require DSP resources (PVDM2 DIMMS) to do the heavy lifting of converting an analogue voice signal to packet voice. So while the FXS ports are being displayed in show version and show inventory, they will need DSPs to become active.

And just to complicate things, the 2801 is also particular/peculiar about which slots it likes voice cards in.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I see PVDM2's come in different sizes how many and which ones would you recommend for a good CCNP voice lab using 4 or 5 routers?

Could I get away with PVDM 8's or 16's or will I need 32, 48?

These E&M cards are not cheap either, are these really needed?
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Checkout Cisco.com and do a search for “DSP calculator”. The tool allows you to select a platform, modules, and feature and will calculate “real world” DSP requirements.

In the lab, you’re probably only going to be provisioning a few channels per PRI, so the actual required resources would be much less. Prices of the PVDM2s have come down a ton in the last few years. I would go with the 32s throughout but if you’re working on a budget, get at least a 32 for the HQ router and 16s for the others (you can always double them up later if you want). You’ll need the extra resources @ HQ when you start configuring conferencing and transcoding features.

Do you plan on building a PSTN cloud as well?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    gone and picked up 2 x 16s, 1 x 32 and 2 x 48s.

Not sure on the PSTN cloud not looked that far into it yet, but would like to have best varied lab to test all technology, and situations.

Got total of 8 routers 2811,2801,2620xm and 2600 fr-switch from CCNP lab. I like to try to simulate a network as best as possible without breaking the bank so if it can be done with what ive got thats fine.

Gonna spend few months on cvoice as its all new, only voice experience to date is small cme networks in small-medium branch deployments up to 50 users. Although i've been persuaded to learn cucm for a possible future deployment

Looking ahead to CUCM, ive got a i5, 16gb workstation will this be ok for CIPT1+2 using vmware or do you need more hardware for these exams?
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    You've got all the gear (server for four VMs as well) you need for this track IMO. Good luck with your studies.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    yeah though you prob won't be able to do CUCM Pub/Sub + Unity + Presence + AD/LDAP but you can probably get away without labbing AD/LDAP or at least not simultaneous with presence/unity.

Stupid CAPPS. I'm still kicking myself I didn't sort myself out under the old exams (QoS, CIPT1+2, CVOICE), I would have basically been certed now, instead i have to fall alseep reading about freakin voicemail.

BTW CCNA-V has heaps of CME stuff whereas there's not a lot on CCNP-V. I do agree though its a moronic exam that doesn't prepare you for squat. Like yourself I have around 6 years of real life CUCM/CME exposure at a high technical level so am ticking this off more to fill in the gaps on my resume than actual learning (not to say I haven't learnt - in particular stuff I haven't seen in prod like E164 normalisation - but I have to say its been a total grind compared to all my other certs).

Also the CCNA-V OCG left out massive chunks of the exam - basically the book doesn't even touch on basic CUCM admin but there is some basic CUCM admin questions in the exam.