MTA 98-349 (OS): Just Passed! Reflections inside.

nebula105nebula105 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

Well, I've just passed the exam today with a score of 93, and I wanted to share my experience and thoughts.

What did I use to study?

1) The Microsoft Windows Operating System Essentials book by Tom Wiley (Sybex). It covered the topics well enough, but I feel there was too much fluff in that book. What I did to overcome the fluff and boredom, was to do...

2) Hands-on. Whenever the textbook started explaining stuff step by step, I would perform each step and download each tool to try it out. Because after all, it's the technical skills and hands-on that matters in the end isn't it?

3) I tried using the videos on Youtube, but the speaker was just droning on and on and reading off the slides on the video, which was basically lifted from Tom Wiley's book anyway. Don't waste your time on this.

4) I did the sample questions from Certiport. The answers were so obvious, they might as well have just put a big tick beside the answers anyway. Try it out if you have extra time!

With the book and some hands-on, I felt prepared for the exam.

Why take this exam at all? Isn't it a waste of money?

It's a matter of perception. I have a Diploma in IT Security, a Network+ certification and am currently studying my Part Time Bachelor's in Information Systems. I've taken on jobs here and there, but nothing related to Desktop/Server/Network support.

But nothing from my courses and experience would have thoroughly prepared me for this certificate, even though I've been using Windows XP and 7 for years. I even do some troubleshooting/fixing for friends and family!

Still, for example, I've never used nor heard of...

- Windows Easy Transfer,
- Microsoft Management Console,
- Microsoft App Compatibility Toolkit,
- MED-V and APP-V.

Arguably I could have learnt about all those in other exams, but at least this certificate gave me a light introduction, before I undertake the tougher exams; where there are plenty more new topics that I'll have to crunch through.

Who should take this exam?

1) Students,
2) Anyone who believes that their foundation knowledge is lacking,
3) Anyone who must have a "Microsoft Certified Professional" title on their resume within 1-2 weeks,
4) Anyone who hasn't gotten a technical job and doesn't know where to start out.

What do I go on to next?

MTA 98-365 (Server Administration) first, then MCTS 70-680.

What value do I expect from this certificate?

I'm not expecting IT/HR managers to flood my inbox with job offers. Instead, I've gained the following:

1) A good foundation and introduction to Windows 7,
2) A light (and needed) introduction to the tools in Windows 7, like Powershell and Group Policy,
3) A good introduction to taking an exam from Microsoft,
4) A morale boost!

I feel the third point is important, because exams are stressful, and knowing the environment beforehand (e.g. types of questions, user interface of the exam) can be very helpful in making you comfortable.

With that, I hope my post will help future students in their decision on taking up this exam. Cheers!

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on passing this exam!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    Congrats!!!!!!!
  • omar4288omar4288 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ,

I am thinking of taking the MTA exams the first one is 98-349 windows os.
    I have a degree in computer science and I have used windows 7 now and then, but do you need to be in the i.t field to take these exams.

I am currently working in a call centre and i am looking to get into the i.t field.

Can any one tell me what book to read for this exam because I know MS have their own books. (are they any good.)
    and if you guys can point me to any online learning.

So I far I am thinking of using MS book and measure up.

Thanks for reading and sorry about the long question.
    No ... you don't.
  • MemphisMemphis Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing!! I took mine this morning and passed, I do think this exam helps get a better understanding of Windows. I'm going for my Windows Security Fundamentals certificate next.
    Memphis wrote: »
    Congrats on passing!! I took mine this morning and passed, I do think this exam helps get a better understanding of Windows. I'm going for my Windows Security Fundamentals certificate next.

Congrats on the Pass... What's next?
  • ShawksShawks Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the post afterwards of your observations. I am taking it next week and will let you know how I do.
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
    Shawks wrote: »
    Congrats and thanks for the post afterwards of your observations. I am taking it next week and will let you know how I do.
    Shawks,

Good Luck and study hard!
  • nebula105nebula105 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone! Been some time since I read this forum again, been busy with work and studies.

CarlSaiyed, Dakinggamer87, horusthesun, Memphis, Shawks, thank you!

Shawks, I look forward to your good news :)

I'll be taking the Server Fundamentals exam tomorrow; will be discussing my reflections as well!
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The server exam is a decent exam - like the desktop OS exam, the supplied material was enough for me.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.