SSCP - Should I?

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Ok, here is the run down...

I am currently studying for CCNA:Security. I really like Cisco, but I am feeling burned out and unsure about continuing on with CCNA:SEC. I am burning out on CCNA:SEC due to feeling like I do not have enough resources. I cant really put a finger on what I am considering resources, but when I did CCNA there was loads of resources. With CCNA:SEC I am rigging up labs in GNS3. I can get GNS3 to work, but it can be aggravating especially with some of the firewall setups. I am just tired of rigging these labs together point for point in the book. Anybody can follow directions.. what I miss is all these Packet Tracer labs that were broke, and I had to solve in my CCNA studies. There is stuff like that all over the web, but not so much for CCNA:SEC.

I guess with CCNA:Sec I just feel like I am in a constant state of unpreparedness due to not having all the things available to me like with CCNA, and I am not one to drop money on an exam without knowing without a shadow of a doubt I am going to pass. Not feeling that way with Sec.

Another note - I am not working with Cisco devices in my daily job so that leads me to want to hold off. If Cisco devices were part of my routine I would most likely not be writing all this.

So all the above leads to where I am now considering SSCP. Call me lazy, but I am tired of labs, and having to rig up old eBay bought Cisco devices for hours and I am tired of GNS3 crashing my computer... =)

From what I can tell it looks like SSCP does not have labs, and it looks like there is plenty of online resources. I just miss being able to buy the exam book - read the book - take some practice test ( get some confidence ) and pass the exam.

SSCP may not be right for me, but it seems like it may be. Advice is appreciate.

Thanks - ST
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    To add to the above: I am not trying to find an easy way out, but just trying to find something with less labs/practical applications.
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It has been quite a while since I did my CCNA Security, so I'm not sure how much has changed as far as the curriculum and covered equipment but I can completely understand being frustrated by a lack of real, hands-on experience. GNS3 is great but it can be quite quirky and frustrating at times.

Have you considered using some rack rental time from INE or Proctorlabs? Although you can't touch the equipment you do get to interact with the real devices and can create your own lab and troubleshooting scenarios without spending time troubleshooting GNS3 and resource utilization.

If you are truly interested in information security, I think the SSCP would be a great foundation for an infosec career.
    dover wrote: »
    It has been quite a while since I did my CCNA Security, so I'm not sure how much has changed as far as the curriculum and covered equipment but I can completely understand being frustrated by a lack of real, hands-on experience. GNS3 is great but it can be quite quirky and frustrating at times.

Have you considered using some rack rental time from INE or Proctorlabs? Although you can't touch the equipment you do get to interact with the real devices and can create your own lab and troubleshooting scenarios without spending time troubleshooting GNS3 and resource utilization.

If you are truly interested in information security, I think the SSCP would be a great foundation for an infosec career.

Thanks Dover - Points taken. I see you have your CISSP, is there a yearly fee to keep the cert active? I read something that made me believe that there was a fee to keep SSCP and CISSP in an active state.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Totally depends on what you want to do - If you want to do Security Engineering, you really do need to have the CCNA: Sec level knowledge and beyond. IMO doing SSCP at this point would just be delaying the inevitable.
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    is there a yearly fee to keep the cert active?

There sure is. You not only have to pay an "annual maintenance fee" but you also have to achieve a specified number of CPE's - Continuing Professional Education units - as proof of keeping your knowledge current.

From the ISC2 website:
    SSCP®
    SSCPs are required to earn and post a minimum of 10 CPE credits (of the 60 CPE credits required in the three-year certification cycle) and pay the AMF of US$65 during each year of the three-year certification cycle before the member’s certification or recertification annual anniversary date.

I do agree with YFZblu - you really should finish up the CCNA: Security. It will definitely come in handy in your career - even though it might be frustrating at the moment.
    Thanks guys - I will keep on keepin on with the CCNA:SEC