MCSA or CCNA for network administrator position

yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

It's been quite sometime since I posted something on these forums and I need clarifications on the topic title.

A little about my career history, I started in 2010 as a helpdesk agent and only got 11 months of IT experience under my belt. by end of 2011, I shifted my career path and have been working as a project officer/manager for civil & construction related projects since then.

I'm looking to get back in the IT field from a strong angel by achieving either MCSA or CCNA .. maybe both if I have the time and courage.

Anyway, briefly can somebody describe the core difference between both and possible career path and advancement?

Comments

• boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Get both! the MCSA is a Systems Administrator cert so desktop support and server support depending on which MCSA you go for. The CCNA is a Network Administrator cert so routers, switches, and firewalls. Both are pretty entry level and it's very common to see people with both.

I really really suggest getting both and after another few years you can decide if you want to go for a MCSE or CCNP!

Bobby
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am going for the same position basically.
    And I say go for both.

MCSA in Server 2008/2012 and a CCNA RS will probably do the trick if you already have some Network Tech or Jr Admin experience. (which I do)
    If you can only do one do the CCNA.
  • yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great, thank you both. I just want to put emphasis on my studies and IT experience. It was mostly windows server 2003 and exchange server administration.

With all honesty, I've never worked hands on hardware (switches/ routers / bridges ... etc)

Therefore, I was thinking about MCSA first. Also, I want to receive the certificate in shortest time possible, does not mean I will shortcut or put less effort! I just want to get back in the field ASAP.

Which one would take less time studying for/achieving?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The MCSA is 4 tests, the CCNA's one (or two if you break it up). By the number of tests, the CCNA is easier. Dont know if you realize but each of the MCSA tests also makes you an MCTS. So perhaps get one MCTS and the CCNA and go from there.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    wow I just read over MS certifications, I've been really gone for too long. I thought MCSA still stood for MS certified system administrator!!!!

Thanks for the feed :)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Both - they complement each other nicely. I spent 5/6 years as a Senior Systems Admin and having knowledge of both was a godsend.

Now I am purely a Network Engineer and I work alongside our "Wintel" teams - my MCSE and previous knowledge is invaluable because I can help diagnose and easily send tickets back that are not networking issues.

Equally, I can provide good advice to our Windows chaps and they appreciate it too.
    Essendon wrote: »
    The MCSA is 4 tests, the CCNA's one (or two if you break it up). By the number of tests, the CCNA is easier. Dont know if you realize but each of the MCSA tests also makes you an MCTS. So perhaps get one MCTS and the CCNA and go from there.
    MCSA Server 2008 and 2012 are both 3 tests.
    gorebrush wrote: »
    2003 was 4 ;)
    Can one still earn this cert?
    Hard to still find info on it.
    olaHalo wrote: »
    MCSA Server 2008 and 2012 are both 3 tests.

Yep, I stand corrected. For some reason I was thinking about the MCSA: 2003.

@olaHalo, The 270, 290, 291, 299 are set to expire on July 31, 2013. So yes, MCSA: 2003 can still be earned but there isnt much time or point to it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend going for both MCSA/CCNA they go very nicely together for systems/network admin. roles icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Great points all. I just want to be clear on one thing "excuse my rookieness" so in order to receive MCSA I have to pass 4 exams. on MS website it mentions Server, desktop & DB

So do I take each individually?

Also, for CCNA wasn't there an entry level before CCNA? CCNT I think?
    CCNA:

Can be taken as one composite exam or you break it up into ICND1 + ICND2. Passing the ICND1 gives you the CCENT and passing both makes you a CCNA. CCENT is largely useless on its own, so dont stop at that. Though some may say it shows a potential employer that you have an interest in networking.

MCSA:

It's 3 tests, not 4. You needed 4 when you did the MCSA: 2003. You need 3 when you do the MCSA: 2008. You need to pass the 640 + 642 + 646 to be an MCSA: 2008. Where are you seeing things about Server, desktop and DB? Got a link?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Yep, I stand corrected. For some reason I was thinking about the MCSA: 2003.

@olaHalo, The 270, 290, 291, 299 are set to expire on July 31, 2013. So yes, MCSA: 2003 can still be earned but there isnt much time or point to it.

Aww, all exams I've done, guess my MCSE 2003 is done now then... I have had it 7 years though :D
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Heck if you get one you'll be in really good shape. Whichever one interest you the most, go for that one.
    CCNA:

Can be taken as one composite exam or you break it up into ICND1 + ICND2. Passing the ICND1 gives you the CCENT and passing both makes you a CCNA. CCENT is largely useless on its own, so dont stop at that. Though some may say it shows a potential employer that you have an interest in networking.

MCSA:

It's 3 tests, not 4. You needed 4 when you did the MCSA: 2003. You need 3 when you do the MCSA: 2008. You need to pass the 640 + 642 + 646 to be an MCSA: 2008. Where are you seeing things about Server, desktop and DB? Got a link?

I looked it up on microsoft website certifications section, but I understand it now. I thought you had to take all SQL/Win/Server in order to achieve MCSA.