New Secruity Certification

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
From the article I posted earlier, there is a new IS certification, at the entry level. Supposedly thePrometric Cyber Security Essentials certification is in direct competition to the Security+.

According to the prometric website:

https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/cybersecurity/Assets/default.html

There are 9 subject areas covered by the exam:
Information Systems Security
Application Security
Governance
Compliance
Operational Security
Network Security
Physical Security
Environmental Security
Vulnerability Management

Interestingly enough theve posted the xam info that is a departure from traditional scoring metrics.
  • Number of Questions: 100
  • Types of Quesitons: Multiple choice, single response
  • Penalty for Incorrect Answer: No
  • Passing Score: 180 (on a scale of 0 – 300)
  • Languages: English – American
  • Length of Test: 180 minutes (no breaks)
I've been told the cost of the exam is $200. So what do you guys think? Would you recommend this to someone starting out, based on the info available?

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, it's about Cyber Security so it must be good!

But in all fairness, I think it's hard to say anything about it until we see more on the material, the level of depth expected, and other factors.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    LOL @ the suspicious fellow in the black hoodie, hunch-backed over his laptop keyboard.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Thread title is misspelled. This may adversely affect its search ranking.

Also, if the cert doesn't make it into this chart, it is severely hurting its chances:

DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program

I do like how it is compared to Security+:
    Vulnerability Management*

* Not covered with CompTIA Security+TM Certification Exam (SY0-301)

They are definitely trying to compete with Security+. If they can get on the 8570 list, and cost less, then they are a real competitor.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    the_hutch wrote: »
    LOL @ the suspicious fellow in the black hoodie, hunch-backed over his laptop keyboard.

Wait... that's not what happens in the real world? I thought all hackers were supposed to be hunch-backed Johnny Cash impersonators...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Passing score 180? What is it, 60%? :)
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned the most interesting part, it's made by Prometric. I had no idea any companies had ever made their own cert.

(Thanks for the thread title notification. Maybe a mod could change it?)