Options

Linux+ guide to Linux Cert By Jason W Eckert---I need some Expert advise--please help

flatman123flatman123 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello,

Im currently studying for the linux + exam..and i went on Amazon and bought this book for around $6.oo..: FYI--it says lab manual but its actually the full study guide:

Linux+ guide to Linux Cert By Jason W Eckert-

Lab Manual: Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification, 2nd: Ed Sawicki: 9780619216207: Amazon.com: Books

any reviews..

I also bought the following.:

"CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 [Paperback]" by Rodrick Smith

CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102: Roderick W. Smith: 9781118531747: Amazon.com: Books

any review on the above books?..I was told that the older version..the book by Jason E. was pretty good, ...i also figured I'd get something more up-to-date.

FYI- my job also bought me the CBT-nuggets lpic series.---i'm assuming this would be more than enough study material ??

please advise if there are any other materials that I should consider getting.

Comments

• Options
    LincxxLincxx Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently reading the "CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 [Paperback]" by Rodrick Smith, myself and I really do enjoy it. One thing that bothers me is when he is talking about something, then in the same sentence he says we will cover more in chapter 5 or whatever, but all and all it's good.

I have also read he Linux Essentials book by the same author. Linux Essentials: Roderick W. Smith: 9781118106792: Amazon.com: Books and I the following book as well:
    Linux Bible - mainly deal with RH and RH flavors
    Unix in a Nutshell - good source to look up commands and what not. I paid like 5 bucks for it
    Essential System Administration - Another good source.

I would love to watch the CBT-nugget videos as well. But I think I have enough material to study myself. I would print out the objectives for the exams as well, so you know what to expect and make sure you are studying the right stuff.
  • Options
    shortcut144shortcut144 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can attest to Rodrick Smith's book also. I have been reading it and I like reading it. I feel it's a great tool for this cert.

The Lab guide you linked looks dated since it was printed in 2005 and uses Fedore Core 2 Which I still wonder if it that bad in regards to this cert. A lot of the basic stuff to Linux seems to have not changed a ton over the years. I think for the LX0-101, this would work fine because it is all basics. But I worry about using an old book on LX0-102 since it works with systems that seem to change more. I found the updated version. Lab Manual for Eckert's Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification, 3rd.

I'm not so much of an expert but I've been using Linux for 6 years and quite familiar with it. Finally getting the cert myself.