VPN Passed

Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Finally got around to taking the VPN exam, I passed with an 801!
Not too proud of the score but it'll do! icon_cool.gif I think I got hung up on the infamous "choose three" and "choose four" questions.

I used CBTNuggets VPN series and INE's VPN series. It was a good combination, combined it covered a majority of the topics very well. I also used the official cert guide. For a lab i used two ASA 5505s as well as a server hosting VMs and routers in GNS3. I was able to test out a lot of the features covered in the exam.

Now on to IPS!

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Sweet, congrats! How much experience do you have?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sweet, congrats! How much experience do you have?

Thanks!
    I had almost zero experience deploying VPNs on ASAs before studying for the exam.

Hopefully I can apply what I've learned at work!
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
    I was wondering if a 5505 would be enough to prepare for this so good to know! Also, if you don't mind me asking, how are you planning to prepare for IPS?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    I passed IPS just reading the OCG and using the IDM demo to familiarise myself with where various things sat within the GUI. I also did a bit of tinkering with IOS-IPS and IDM but it kept hanging on me. I'll admit it feels a bit like cheating, but what does Cisco expect, me to shell out 2000+ for a real IPS just for one exam?

I did get IPS built in GNS3 but got stuck on something (can't remember exactly) and when I searched for solutions I saw heaps of people having same issue.
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was wondering if a 5505 would be enough to prepare for this so good to know! Also, if you don't mind me asking, how are you planning to prepare for IPS?

The 5505s are great! I forgot to mention, one was a Sec Plus license and the other was just a Base.

I was in a Global Knowledge IPS class two weeks ago that I managed to get in through my job. (I was hoping to be done VPN by the time the class started but it didn't work out) I'll be using the books I received from that class, it appears to be almost identical to the official cert guide from what I can see through book previews. I also have VoDs from IPexpert, and Skillsoft that I will be watching. I'll probably just be renting rack time from either proctorlabs, gigavelocity or INE if they release them soon. And as a final prep I'll probably buy the Boson practice exam for IPS.

I hope to be a little bit more organized with my IPS studies, with VPN and FIREWALL, I was all over the place.
    Great, thanks for sharing! Good luck with the IPS studies.