Cisco exams in the Manchester area

Hi all,

Has anyone from the Uk, particularly the Manchester area noticed a massive decline in the number of Pearson Vue testing centres?

I've had to use 3 different testing centres in the last 12 months as they keep closing down:

Pitman Training - Stockport = Closed
Taitec - Manchester = Closed
Wigan and Leigh College = Closed as of 20th December.

Considering Pearson Vue's European headquarters are in Manchester, it seems stupid that the nearest testing centre is now 30 miles away. I wouldn't mind if I lived out in the sticks somewhere, but Manchester is the 3rd (some say the 2nd city).

I spoke to the guy at Wigan and Leigh college and he said they are closing because its not worth the money. He said they only receive £4.00 for every exam they host, which considering I paid £115.00 to sit my Cisco exam today means someone somewhere is making a tidy profit.

Having some familiarity with where you're taking an exam gives you one last thing to think about. Exams are stressful enough without going to a different test centre every time. Where's the building? Where can I park? Where's the room? Will the machines be reliable?

Makes me wonder if Cisco are planning on jumping ship and moving to Prometric???

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well shoot, Microsoft did it...it's only a matter of time before others do the same.

Personally, I never needed to use Vue...I'm in the NYC-metro area. I have access to testing centers either in New York City, or various TCs in and around Northern NJ. (At that point, it's all about scheduling). Prometric has provided me with enough convenience, that going Vue doesn't really make a difference to me.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Well, you can't use Prometric for Cisco exams anymore... that's what this discussion is about :)
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I seriously hope Cisco doesn't move to Prometric. It doesn't make a difference in terms of test centres, as every single one I've been to in Sheffield and Wakefield is both Vue and Prometric.

However, Prometric have no idea how to build a website for test takers, its an abomination. Pearson's isn't the best, but at least there is some interactivity with finding test centres and the like. Choosing the test centres from a list (which could mean trawling through about 7 pages of them just to find one closer) is just pathetic.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The guy at my local test center actually mentioned how much he hates Prometric tests. He said most of their software for test setup is so outdated. I think i'm gonna break his heart when I show up for a MS test. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Well, you can't use Prometric for Cisco exams anymore... that's what this discussion is about :)
    Makes me wonder if Cisco are planning on jumping ship and moving to Prometric???

I was responding to the above quote, so my response was valid, irrespective of Cisco's current use of testing vendor. icon_cool.gif
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I was responding to the above quote, so my response was valid, irrespective of Cisco's current use of testing vendor. icon_cool.gif

My bad! ;)
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    For anyone else in the same position as me and comes across this thread, I have found a test centre in easy reach of Manchester.

Stoke on Trent college is a Parson Vue testing centre and is 30 minutes by train from Manchester Piccadilly. The college is 8 minutes walk from Stoke on Trent station.

I've got myself booked in for the 13th January!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I seriously hope Cisco doesn't move to Prometric. It doesn't make a difference in terms of test centres, as every single one I've been to in Sheffield and Wakefield is both Vue and Prometric.

However, Prometric have no idea how to build a website for test takers, its an abomination. Pearson's isn't the best, but at least there is some interactivity with finding test centres and the like. Choosing the test centres from a list (which could mean trawling through about 7 pages of them just to find one closer) is just pathetic.

I go to Wakefield when I take tests.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I had been up until recently going to Wakefield as everywhere in Sheffield cost to park (as much as it'd cost in petrol to Wakefield), and had such poor choice in test dates I was at their will not mine. The new test centre thats opened recently though has free parking and has test dates every day so its cool :)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, theres been a decline in the Edinburgh area too....sometimes its easier to travel to glasgow..60 miles away! Otherwise you can be waiting weeks.

Ive never had issues with prometric or vue. Imo they should allow testing at both, that way i would have loads more choices! but if its true about the centre only making £4 then i can see why its not worth it. The power consumption/room space will probably zero that profit! ha.

Im suprised with Manchester cos its such a huge city in the UK.

btw matt, if your a man utd fan, my team is going to take you down on boxing day! :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    nel wrote: »
    btw matt, if your a man utd fan, my team is going to take you down on boxing day! :D

No he's from Manchester, he'll be a Man City fan, all the Utd fans live in London ;)
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    billyr wrote: »
    No he's from Manchester, he'll be a Man City fan, all the Utd fans live in London ;)

Brilliant! :)
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Interesting! I take my MS ones at Taitec in Manchester via Prometric. I wonder if that's closed too. I hope not!

EDIT:- Prometric still seem to be accepting bookings for Taitec.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nel wrote: »

Nel I'm shocked I always thought you were such a nice bloke too !!!

Toon army here lol icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi I live in preston, which is roughly the same area and i have found the same trouble, the nearest test centre for me now is Lancaster Uni, hope that helps

Carl
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • mscott45mscott45 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    7255carl: I was busy updating sites we are linked to with our new Pearson Vue status, and I came across your post saying that you live in Preston. I run Pitman Training Preston and we have just gone live as a Pearson Vue testing centre; Prometric will follow soon.

So you are very welcome, of course, to do any future exams with us.

What I'm trying to do is find out what people's complaints are about testing centres. We are trying to make the centre as comfortable as possible for people taking exams, while being professional and efficient.

I'd be very grateful for any feedback from you or anyone else on here about what they like about testing centres they have been in and what they have hated!
  • HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mscott45 wrote: »
    7255carl: I was busy updating sites we are linked to with our new Pearson Vue status, and I came across your post saying that you live in Preston. I run Pitman Training Preston and we have just gone live as a Pearson Vue testing centre; Prometric will follow soon.

So you are very welcome, of course, to do any future exams with us.

I realise this post is VERY old! But I wonder if this is still true? I didn't notice this centre on the Pearson-Vue web site.

:)
  • mrploddymrploddy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL I'm from Preston too.

Your best bet for exams is either

Taitec (just out of central Manchester)
    Centre of Excellence (Oldham Mumps) - £15 on the train/Metrolink for Saturday testing

I'd *love* to have a test centre near Preston but that's not possible it would appear :/

-mrploddy
  • HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm actually in Blackpool - but near as damn it! That one in Oldham is very interesting. Saturday testing would be ideal I reckon.

Cheers.
  • mrploddymrploddy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah Centre of Excellence are really good and they're test rooms are nice - 1 side for Prometric and 1 side for Pearson.

The only annoying thing is you have to fill out a form each time you test but the staff are ultra friendly and don't give you any hassle.