Passed CISSP on 06/07/13

n3twork3rn3twork3r Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my CISSP exam on 06/07/13, and now I am wondering if I should take CEH. These are the reasons I am thinking about taking CEH next:
  1. There is a lot of overlapping material between the CISSP and CEH exams.
  2. CEH seems like a very easy exam.
  3. I paid for cccure and I still have access for a few months to practice for CEH.
  4. I will have another certification.
Please comment.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    There is not that much overlapping material in CISSP and CEH, but your CCNA knowledge will come in very handy. The (ISC)2 and EC-Council have some different ideas on what InfoSec is, and you will have to think like the EC-Council to select the correct answers on the CEH exam, not like the (ISC)2 expects you to think.

Also realize that the new CEHv8 exam has been complete rewritten for better quality; there is very little 3rd-pary study materiel available for it right now. The "easy" CEHv7 is only available through October 31, 2013.
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good thread, I was considering this myself. I had taken the practice exam for the CEHv7 and was getting good scores via CCCURE so I was wondering about going in relatively cold. Thanks for the info JD. I personally will be waiting till the v8 material hits the market and go for the harder exam... I must be a glutton for punishment.
  • n3twork3rn3twork3r Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, JD. I plan to take the "easy" exam before October 31, 2013. This way I can move on to the next certification.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The reported improvements in CEHv8 have me interested in it too. I might do self-study with CEHv7 material and supplement with resources that I think EC-Council would have used to improve the exam, such as Hacking Exposed 7, Hacking Exposed Web Apps, and Gray Hat hacking.
  • hardstylewonhardstylewon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    n3twork3r wrote: »
    I passed my CISSP exam on 06/07/13, and now I am wondering if I should take CEH. These are the reasons I am thinking about taking CEH next:
    1. There is a lot of overlapping material between the CISSP and CEH exams.
    2. CEH seems like a very easy exam.
    3. I paid for cccure and I still have access for a few months to practice for CEH.
    4. I will have another certification.
    Please comment.

I passed CEHv8 yesterday with a 91%. I do. IA for govt but only used the walker AIO some cbt nuggets and boson v7 exsim. Just do that. I want to take OSCP next but think it would be more beneficial to tale CISSP instead. What did you study with? How long did it take? I'm filling a CISSP slot at work but realize a lot of people I work with have it but never had real time behind A computer. Lmk Thanks amd congrats!

Hardstyle
    I passed CEHv8 yesterday with a 91%. I do. IA for govt but only used the walker AIO some cbt nuggets and boson v7 exsim. Just do that. I want to take OSCP next but think it would be more beneficial to tale CISSP instead. What did you study with? How long did it take? I'm filling a CISSP slot at work but realize a lot of people I work with have it but never had real time behind A computer. Lmk Thanks amd congrats!

Hardstyle

I started reading Shon Harris' book, but gave it up after a couple of chapters. I ended up using Eric Conrad's book, which is very easy to read and it gets straight to the point. I also listened to the audio version of some CBT nuggets. I studied for the exam for almost six months.
    [FONT=&quot]Received this today in the email:

"Congratulations!It gives me great pleasure to be the first to address you with theCertified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP®) designation!"

It took 10 days from the date I received a confirmation email message.[/FONT]
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, not bad for the 10 days. Congrats! I'm still awaiting my email but I had to use the endorsement assistance program so we shall see how much longer I have to wait. :P
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congratulations on your new cert!
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First off I want to congratulate you on your prestigious accomplishment. I too am following the path to CISSP, reading Shon Harris' book puts me to sleep and I might try the Eric Conrad one. Good luck on your CEH I think taking that exam will only be beneficial. I also looked at the endorsement assistance program application and I think I'd rather look for someone to endorse me instead lol.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None