It's offical, I passed the OSCP exam!!

r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I finally did it! I passed my OSCP exam! I completed my exam and submitted my report yesterday and this afternoon I got the official email notifying me that I passed the exam. It took me 12 hours this time.

Thanks to everyone for your support and words of encouragement.

Comments

• j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Congrats! I'd love to do this cert at some point down the road. It sounds like a lot of fun.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    what is your job role?
  • r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    j.petrov wrote: »
    Congrats! I'd love to do this cert at some point down the road. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks! It's an awesome course. I learned more from the course and certification challenge than any course I have taken to date. I highly recommend this course. If you want to learn pentesting/ethical hacking, this is the course.
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    what is your job role?

I am a consultant/pentester. I started as a pentester March 2012. I had application and network vulnerability assessment experience, but was lacking the hacking skills for pentesting, so I signed up for the OSCP course.
  • jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, awesome achievement!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That's awesome, congrats icon_cheers.gif Now we are waiting for Justin's pass icon_thumright.gif
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    Thanks everyone!
    Master of Puppets, I think Justin will do well and I think he will pass it the first time.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    r0ckm4n wrote: »
    I am a consultant/pentester. I started as a pentester March 2012. I had application and network vulnerability assessment experience, but was lacking the hacking skills for pentesting, so I signed up for the OSCP course.

I'm on the vulnerability assessment/compliance and audit side of the house and would like to move over to the PenTesting side some day. I'm just biding my time, learning everything there is to learn before I attempt to make that transition.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I need to get back on the horse with my certs!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I'm on the vulnerability assessment/compliance and audit side of the house and would like to move over to the PenTesting side some day. I'm just biding my time, learning everything there is to learn before I attempt to make that transition.

With your experience, the OSCP course would be what you need to make the transition. I had network and web app vulnerability experience, but just didn't have the penetrating/hacking knowledge or skills.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Congrats! I need to get back on the horse with my certs!

Thanks, Grinch! I agree, you should get back at it.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! That's an amazing accomplishment, would love to see your review of things.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Master of Puppets, I think Justin will do well and I think he will pass it the first time.

Thanks guys...hopefully I can live up to the high expectations. Guess we'll find out in 4 days :-/
    Thanks, Grinch! I agree, you should get back at it.

Thanks! I had someone else inquire about a write up. I will post it up when I complete the write up.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey r0ckm4n,

Congrats! What resources did you use outside the course material for buffer overflows/ASM/editing exploits?
    Hey r0ckm4n,

Congrats! What resources did you use outside the course material for buffer overflows/ASM/editing exploits?

Thanks, YuckTheFankees! I used the first 2 corelan tutorials, the grey corner tutorials and the SecurityTube buffer overflow and ASM primers. For me it helped to see this stuff several times, I also think it helps because people explain things differently and you may understand their style better or by that time you have been over it enough it finally clicks. One of the biggest thing that helped me was working in the lab.

The Grey Corner: Stack Based Windows Buffer Overflow Tutorial
    https://www.corelan.be/index.php/2009/07/19/exploit-writing-tutorial-part-1-stack-based-overflows/
    https://www.corelan.be/index.php/2009/07/23/writing-buffer-overflow-exploits-a-quick-and-basic-tutorial-part-2/
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=4
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=5
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=6
    Awesome! Thanks icon_cheers.gif
    Awesome! Thanks icon_cheers.gif

You're welcome! There are more tutorials than that on corelan and grey corner, quite a lot actually. All of the SecurityTube megaprimers are good.
    Before you started the OSCP, were you a complete newb to buffer overflows? Cuz I am haha
    Before you started the OSCP, were you a complete newb to buffer overflows? Cuz I am haha

I was a complete newb to buffer overflows and that was my first experience with them. I still need some work with buffer overflows. I want to take the OSCE in the next year or so.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Congrats! I hope to accomplish this cert sometime in the next year myself. I have found the postings from you and the_hutch to very inspirational in regards to this cert. Both of you have obviously worked very hard.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I was supposed to sign up this month with the 90 day option but something came up and my OSCP funds disappeared. Gonna go the "cheaper" route and knock out CEH and hopefully when I'm done I'll have the money to go ahead with this. Any words of wisdom?
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
    da_vato wrote: »
    Congrats! I hope to accomplish this cert sometime in the next year myself. I have found the postings from you and the_hutch to very inspirational in regards to this cert. Both of you have obviously worked very hard.

Thanks, da_vato! It's a great course and you will learn a lot. You should take it.
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! I was supposed to sign up this month with the 90 day option but something came up and my OSCP funds disappeared. Gonna go the "cheaper" route and knock out CEH and hopefully when I'm done I'll have the money to go ahead with this. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks, spicy ahi! Once you get the chance take it. The course is very reasonably priced and especially for what all you learn. If you do the CEH the right way and not just memorize test simulators, you can take that knowledge and use it on the OSCP course. I took a CEH course back in 2010, but I made the mistake of not taking the exam. I learned how to use a lot of the same tools during the CEH course and with the OSCP, you learn how to penetrate systems with the tools. Use your time wisely in the CEH and it should help you with the OSCP.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    r0ckm4n, in your opinion would programming knowledge help any in this course? My degree is in computer science so though i may not be the best programmer I understand coding quite well and can modify code no problem. Or is there any skill that you would recommend strengthening before attending?
    da_vato wrote: »
    r0ckm4n, in your opinion would programming knowledge help any in this course? My degree is in computer science so though i may not be the best programmer I understand coding quite well and can modify code no problem. Or is there any skill that you would recommend strengthening before attending?

You should be OK with buffer overflows and modifying exploit code. I have some links listed below for buffer overflow tutorials a couple of the SecurityTube tutorials are for assembly, which are helpful with buffer overflows. There are a lot of great tutorials on all three of those sites, but the links I listed should probably be enough for the course. It should take much for you to catch on to buffer overflows with your skillset and knowledge. Python is good to know, but you can get by with only knowing how to modify the code. That's one of the things on my to do list, is to learn Python. I am taking the SecurityTube Python Scripting Experts course and there is a free version on the SecurityTube website.

The Grey Corner: Stack Based Windows Buffer Overflow Tutorial
    https://www.corelan.be/index.php/2009/07/19/exploit-writing-tutorial-part-1-stack-based-overflows/
    https://www.corelan.be/index.php/2009/07/23/writing-buffer-overflow-exploits-a-quick-and-basic-tutorial-part-2/
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=4
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=5
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=6
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    Congrats. What did you use to study for the exam? what books?