MS Press book for 70-462

j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
Is there anyone here that's used it? I'm currently using the second printing and ready to throw it in the garbage. I'm so angry at the moment at the amount of problems I'm running into. Technical mistakes is my biggest gripe. For example: to install SQL Server 2012 on Server 2008 R2 Core the following command is used:
Setup.exe /qs /Action=Install /Features=SQLEngine,IS,Conn /InstanceName=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Contoso\kim_akers" /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms
Yeah, I couldn't connect at all. I checked the errata page. Nothing. I searched technet and found out that you need to use /TCPENABLED=1 or the protocol remains disabled and under Server Core, it's not that easy to turn on. That and they never mention /PID="your license key" so you could use a developer version rather than evaluation.

Ok. So now I get to the chapter about installing Analysis Services. The task is to install it from the Command Prompt. I can't get it to work. After I fix a typo in the syntax (which isn't noted in the current errata) it actually looks like it's going to install but when it quits... no AS Instance was ever installed. When I go through the GUI it installs perfectly. I've sat here now for three hours trying different things to get my AS Instance to install from the command prompt.

I'm ready to read the book through and ignore the command prompt BS and install everything from the GUI. Yeah, I'll get to know the switches used.

Comments

• knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I have this book. It's not very good. I find myself just losing focus after a chapter or so as well.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is similair to my experience with the 70-432 book.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    What books are you using for the 70-461 and 70-462?

*Update on the install below*
    I'm not one to give up very easily. Call me hard headed if you want. Tonight I decided to install an AS instance from the command line and for grins, I left out the /PID="your_key_here" switch. It installed the instance no problems.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Why would entering your PID on a command line installation of AS cause it to not install the instance but the GUI install will gladly accept it?

Don't know. Don't care. It's installed and I installed it by memory (from doing it so many gosh darn times) so I guess you could say I learned something from this ordeal. Keep this in mind folks.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I've sacked off this MS-Book for now and got this hopefully get more joy out of it
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the link, I will check that one out.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.