Upgrading Paths

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys/Gals,

I have my 70-685 and 70-680 which means I have a MCITP:ESDT. There is an upgrade path of "MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure Certification Upgrade".

415, 416 and 417 are the exams that I would need to pass to upgrade. Just I want to now get inot the server certification and cannot see if it's worth going down this path to make it faster to jump up to the server certs.

Might be easier once the Server 2008 exams are out of the way.

Can you please help with letting me know if its worth going for the upgrade or just heading straight for Server 2012.

Thanks in advanced :)
[h=2][/h]

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It depends on what your goals are. If you want to continue in the desktop world then the upgrade makes sense. You mentioned interest in servers so in that case I would go for those certs. I try to cert on things that will help me show progression or hit areas were I need development.

I say go for server. I spent too much time on the desktop world and wish I had started with servers earlier in my career.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    sharpy56 wrote: »
    Might be easier once the Server 2008 exams are out of the way.

The 417 is an upgrade exam so it assumes that you have an MCSA level of competency with 2008. I caution you to tread carefully if you are trying to switch from the desktop to server path with an upgrade exam. There are basic skills that are not covered in the 417 that are required on a day to day operations basis. Even some advanced skills are not covered if they have not changed from 2008. If you want to move from desktops to servers, I suggest you go through the full server training and certification path.

So should that path start with 2008, followed by an upgrade to 2012, or just skip right on to 2012? Right now, I say start with 2008. There is plenty of training material out there and a large install base that will be your potential employment. A year from now I might suggest skipping 2008, but not yet.
  • sausosauso Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Sharpy,

You might want to check out the requirements for upgrading. Upgrade Your MCITP or MCSA to Windows Server 2012 with this FREE Certification Exam Study Guide for Exam 70-417 - IT Pros ROCK! at Microsoft - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

It only appears to be upgrade-able from the MCITP:EDA not the EDST.

I'm going to be following this path. I have a strong understanding of servers and have been grasping all the concepts well. Going to be going for my Exam in a week or so.
  • sausosauso Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Sharpy,

You might want to check out the requirements for upgrading. It only appears to be upgrade-able from the MCITP:EDA not the EDST.

I'm going to be following this path. I have a strong understanding of servers and have been grasping all the concepts well. Going to be going for my Exam in a week or so.