Faild for the 2nd time. :-(

tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Back in April I was close got 677 then today I got 653. Seems like I went backwards.

The top domains that I did poor was
telecomunication.
Information Security Governance and Risk Management
physical security.

Last time it was still telecomuncation and network and software security .

I guess my move from west coast to east coast and then taking my pet in and out of ER may had something to do with it.

The thing was on the transcender exams i was scoring in the 90s and I felt confident in passing.

Now sure what to do now. so depressing

Comments

• moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Awww Tony, that's gotta be depressing for real. Not too sure if I have the best advice but I think you are probably best changing your resources for your weaker domains. What are you using for Telecommunications?

One thing I have noticed is that when CISSP candidates fail, they tend to concentrate ONLY on the weak domains and do not do much prep on their stronger domains, but you have to balance it all out.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Tony - if you're looking for a few extra resources, check out Shon Harris' website: Shon Harris | Security certification, CISSP Exam Practices, Online Training, Risk Management

If you scroll to the bottom of that page, there are some CISSP videos you might find helpful.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey man, sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif . Did you try any of the cccure testing engine on top of transcender? I find it useful to use multiple practice testing sources. What did you use for your materials?

Here's what I would do if I were you:

1. Close the current book that you might be reading and buy another one from a different author. (for instance, if you are using the Shon Harris AIO, drop that and pick up Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide 2nd edition). Go through that book once and brush up on anything seeming fuzzy after that.
    2. Slow down on the Transcender practice tests and use a different testing engine. Go use CCCURE and only take a transcender every once in awhile.
    3. Write down any topics that you feel you didn't feel comfortable with while taking the exam. Now make flash cards (by hand) on those topics.
    4. Any topic that you don't understand thoroughly, google it. Don't take the author's words for it go out and read someone else's explanation. By reading other writer's words it usually helps solidify the knowledge. Sometimes for myself I have to hear it 3-4 times from different sources before it finally clicks.

Reschedule the test ASAP. Don't give up man, you've done 90% of the work and if you slow down here that 90% will go by the wayside. Keep that knowledge at the forefront of your mind until you pass it. If you don't continue to immerse yourself in the topics, and take too long to take the exam again you'll find that the 90% is gone and you have to redo all that hard work that you've already put into it right now.

Never give in! Never surrender!
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After reading a few of your threads I think you have all the material you need, maybe you just need to rethink your strategy here.

What I would also do (in addition to 1-4 above) would be to sit down and strategerize(:D) how you will tackle the exam. Not a study plan, but a battle plan. How to keep your cool, what type of mindset will you have going into the exam. What will you be doing the night before? When to wake up, what to have for breakfast. It might sound crazy but if you're doing well on all practice tests and have issues on the actual exam, it means to me that you are thinking different in those two situations.

Try to figure out how to make yourself think like you do during the practice exams while taking the real exam. Figure out how to annihilate any anxiety and go into that exam room 100% calm and collected.
  • tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I need to go back to the cccure quizes, I was getting to comfortable with the transcenders and they were getting to easy.

I also took the eric conrad 500 quizzes and they were getting easy. I do have Shon Harris and Eric Conrad. I will go over the telecomunication and network again and take the cccure tests.

I noticed when you finish the exam it says Thank You for taking the exam on the screen and I seen on the forum some say when they finish it says Congradulations for finishing the exam. I'am wondering if that is a give away at the end of the exam that you will know if you passed or failed before looking at the paper.

f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    Hey man, sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif . Did you try any of the cccure testing engine on top of transcender? I find it useful to use multiple practice testing sources. What did you use for your materials?

Here's what I would do if I were you:

1. Close the current book that you might be reading and buy another one from a different author. (for instance, if you are using the Shon Harris AIO, drop that and pick up Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide 2nd edition). Go through that book once and brush up on anything seeming fuzzy after that.
    2. Slow down on the Transcender practice tests and use a different testing engine. Go use CCCURE and only take a transcender every once in awhile.
    3. Write down any topics that you feel you didn't feel comfortable with while taking the exam. Now make flash cards (by hand) on those topics.
    4. Any topic that you don't understand thoroughly, google it. Don't take the author's words for it go out and read someone else's explanation. By reading other writer's words it usually helps solidify the knowledge. Sometimes for myself I have to hear it 3-4 times from different sources before it finally clicks.

Reschedule the test ASAP. Don't give up man, you've done 90% of the work and if you slow down here that 90% will go by the wayside. Keep that knowledge at the forefront of your mind until you pass it. If you don't continue to immerse yourself in the topics, and take too long to take the exam again you'll find that the 90% is gone and you have to redo all that hard work that you've already put into it right now.

Never give in! Never surrender!
    I guess on the practice exam I know it is not the real thing so I don't get nervous but when I take the real thing I get nervous. icon_smile.gif
    Next time maybe I take a dose of ******. lol

f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    After reading a few of your threads I think you have all the material you need, maybe you just need to rethink your strategy here.

What I would also do (in addition to 1-4 above) would be to sit down and strategerize(:D) how you will tackle the exam. Not a study plan, but a battle plan. How to keep your cool, what type of mindset will you have going into the exam. What will you be doing the night before? When to wake up, what to have for breakfast. It might sound crazy but if you're doing well on all practice tests and have issues on the actual exam, it means to me that you are thinking different in those two situations.

Try to figure out how to make yourself think like you do during the practice exams while taking the real exam. Figure out how to annihilate any anxiety and go into that exam room 100% calm and collected.
    I didn't know Vali#m was would be blocked icon_smile.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yeah, along with another "V-word" brand, it's a word commonly found in spam.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NEVER GIVE UP! Read my post 5th time
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
    I have read your thread before. I have to say you have alot of determination.

I'm thinking of taking the exam in the next 2 weeks. I have been studying but everything I have already studied.

I took 250 question on cccure for telecommunication and networking and got 80 yesterday.

Will take several more 250 questions then go for the real one. Now sure how else to studying.
    I have read your thread before. I have to say you have alot of determination.

I'm thinking of taking the exam in the next 2 weeks. I have been studying but everything I have already studied.

I took 250 question on cccure for telecommunication and networking and got 80 yesterday.

Will take several more 250 questions then go for the real one. Now sure how else to study other than read the books again and take practice exams.