Hard work finally pays off

JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just finished school 6 months ago. I got my first job working as Level 1 Technical Support in a Service Desk 2 weeks after getting my diploma. 2 months later, I got promoted to the second level in the same company. During my time at this company, I finished 4 certs. Last week, I got an interview for a Network Admin. They called me the day later to schedule a second interview (test). The test went really well. Yesterday they called me again saying I got the job :D. So in a span of 6 months, I went from 1st level technical support to network admin so guys, keep working hard, and opportunities will come!!icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, your certs definitely played a role on your promotions. :)
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work and good luck!
  • absoluteabsolute Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! That's quite the achievement!
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Good for you. Ya done good icon_thumright.gif
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nicely done, good for you!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Post your pay jumps :D
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats that's great to hear!! icon_thumright.gif

Hard work, motivation, passion= success
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that's quite an achievement. Congratulations :)
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    ... keep working hard, and opportunities will come!!

Indeed, this couldn't be more true.
  • MarkyGMarkyG Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

Very new to the board but what a great place. Anyways I am in a very similar position as the OP. Coming up to 2 years of Help Desk(OSX Heavy) and looking to take that next step. If OP can let me know what certs he got and if you were in my shoes what should I go for.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Congrats!
    Post your pay jumps :D

I got a 30% pay jump :D
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Stay in networking and that pay will keep going up...in a few years you could easily find yourself north of six figures if you add a CCNP and some good experience to the mix.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Congratulations! Stay in networking and that pay will keep going up...in a few years you could easily find yourself north of six figures if you add a CCNP and some good experience to the mix.

Yes that would be awesome! I'll be working a lot more with switches and routers so hopefully it'll help me get a CCNP. I also plan studying for the MCSA 2008 since I will be working a lot with the servers as well and eventually maybe the VCP since I'll be using ESX and vSphere a lot too. I'm starting on Monday, I can't wait!! :D
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes that would be awesome! I'll be working a lot more with switches and routers so hopefully it'll help me get a CCNP. I also plan studying for the MCSA 2008 since I will be working a lot with the servers as well and eventually maybe the VCP since I'll be using ESX and vSphere a lot too. I'm starting on Monday, I can't wait!! :D

ESX* ? That is SOOO yesterday and old technology :D:D

Sorry, couldn't help it :p

[*] vSphere 4.1 was the last "full" ESX version, from that point on only ESXi was / is available ... But you'll get the difference once you work on it so don't lose sleep over it just yet unless you want to :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    every credit, best of luck in your new role
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    [*] vSphere 4.1 was the last "full" ESX version, from that point on only ESXi was / is available ... But you'll get the difference once you work on it so don't lose sleep over it just yet unless you want to :p

No don't worry I won't sleep over it :D I actually knew it, it's just that my supervisor over there is not up do date (he actually wanted someone young who knew what virtualization is :p)

I'm exagerating a bit now, he knows what it is, he knows how to configure vCenter, vConverter... it's just that during my interview he was saying they wanted to install ESX servers with vSphere 5.1! So I just kept on saying ESX to "agree" with what he was saying.. so I guess it got stuck in my mind:p

But you're right, I'll learn a lot more about it when start working with it (DRS, HA, and the list goes on)
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job man, keep up the good work!
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    The certs help, but you must interview well too!
    Great job.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Congrads, it great to hear a nice success story in our industry.
    I just finished school 6 months ago.

Need more information, what type of school is this? College, high school or university?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    The certs help, but you must interview well too!
    Great job.

I guess, they told me that they liked my enthusiasm and that I looked really interested in the tasks they are going to assign to me. I believe what helped me a lot was that I really wanted that job so I had to be as confidant as I can to show them that I'm ready.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Keep up the enthusiasm and you'll learn a lot.
    FWIW, we still refer to our ESXi boxes as ESX ;)