DNS Zone Replication ?

Not quite getting this topic, if anyone has a good way to explain I would appreciate it:

In the zone properties tab for a DNS zone, under the general tab within the "Change Zone Replication Scope" window, I don't really understand what the last replication option is or why someone would use it? It is "To all domain controllers specified in the scope of the following application directory partition" and then you browse to the application directory partition name.

Anyone have a good explanation of this or point me to a webpage?

Thanks
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not sure this is a really good explination, but I'll give it a shot. The option to replicate to a custom application directory partition is used to be able to pick out individual DCs from an AD environment to replicate the DNS information. Whenever you enable a active directory integrated zone all the DNS data is then stored in predefined application directory partitions so that it may be replicated among DCs. If you don't want that information to replicate to all DCs in the domain or all DCs in you domain/forest that have DNS installed you can setup these custom application directories, then the DNS information will only be replicated to DCs that enlist that custom application directory.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I doubt you'd be asked that on the test...
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    you will. or lets say "might", as we don't all get the same questions.
    witty comment
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure I got a question refering to this topic. You probably won't need to know how to create and enlist these directories, but at least know what they are for.
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Got it, thanks for the explanation, that is what i was sort of getting after i read over it like five times and printed stuff off the internet.

thx
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.