Taking the leap into IT

robp12robp12 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Just figured I would introduce myself to the forums. I'm a 23 year old guy from the Washington DC area and working towards my start in information technology. Well actually, I'm somewhat in the information technology sector now as a Technical Recruiter (I work for a competitor of TEKSystems, Robert Half, etc). I graduated from college in May 2012 with a BS in Marketing and I really do enjoy working as an IT recruiter, but working with so many tech professionals in DC has really sparked my interest in becoming one of them (you)!

So I decided to start making some big moves. I applied for a Masters of Science degree at Northwestern University and was accepted into their Information Systems program. I actually just finished my first class, Telecommunications Networking with an A. I'm taking SQL Database class next semester and Java programming following that (I'm taking classes while working full-time as a recruiter). After I finish my core classes, I'm going to work towards my concentration in Information Security and Networks.

After a good deal of thought and studying, I've decided to really make some headway towards a career in IT in the future. I just purchased Lammle's CCNA Study book last night and started reading. I'm hoping to complete the CCENT portion of the CCNA by September 1st and move along from there. Hopefully, it'll be the first step into a slow but well-thought out approach to becoming a network engineer.

Well, I just figured I'd introduce myself to the forums and if anyone has some advice to my journey, I'd love to hear it! Thanks and have a great night.
Currently Studying:
Northwestern University - Masters of Science, Information Systems GPA 4.0
CCNA certification

Completed: Elon University - BSBA, Marketing May 2012

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great to hear. It's challenging and will keep you mentally sharp. Don't forget the physical side, an hour of exercise a day buddy.

Don't forget to round out your basics. (office)

What's your 1/3/5 year plan?
    -Daniel
  • robp12robp12 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Great to hear. It's challenging and will keep you mentally sharp. Don't forget the physical side, an hour of exercise a day buddy.

Don't forget to round out your basics. (office)

What's your 1/3/5 year plan?

I'll be sure to stay sharp and round out the rest of my life. I'm currently engaged and getting married next July, so I always spend a great deal of time with my fiancee. She's supportive of me and it definitely helps.

As far as my 1/3/5 year plan at this point, I'd say it's as follows.

Year 1- Successfully pass the CCNA and Security+. Receive my first position specifically in the IT field, preferably a Junior Network Engineer role.
    Year 3- Complete my Masters of Science in Information Systems degree from Northwestern University. Complete the CCNP.
    Year 5- I honestly don't have this one laid out yet...
    Currently Studying:
    CCNA certification

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great choice....Networking is where it's at! I've been through most of the major IT roles in my last 15 years and Network Engineering is more fun than any of them...it can be intense, but I very rarely have days that don't go by in a blink - i'm very rarely bored.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • AddixtionAddixtion Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Rob, you are in the same boat I'm in. I graduated last May with a BA in Marketing and looking to break into the IT Field. However, my path is different I am stacking up my certs so I can break into the field. My long term goal is to become a DBA or get into Business Intelligence. This is a great field, plus everyone and their mothers have some sort of Business degree lol. Welcome aboard!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That sounds like a solid and focused plan to enter the field. I'm not surprised because, as a technical recruiter, you already know employers value education and certifications. Good luck, and may you find networking as exciting as I do. :)
  • robp12robp12 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Addixtion wrote: »
    Hey Rob, you are in the same boat I'm in. I graduated last May with a BA in Marketing and looking to break into the IT Field. However, my path is different I am stacking up my certs so I can break into the field. My long term goal is to become a DBA or get into Business Intelligence. This is a great field, plus everyone and their mothers have some sort of Business degree lol. Welcome aboard!

Funny to see how people are getting into the IT industry and where they are coming from. Happy to hear we are in a similar boat. What's your plan to getting into a DBA/Business Intelligence role? I'd love to hear it!
    Currently Studying:
    CCNA certification

• AddixtionAddixtion Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Currently I am studying for my A+ Cert which I should be taking next week. Then I will start studying for Network+. When I receive both of those certs I should be able to enter the field has a help desk tech/desktop support. While gaining experience I will start studying for SQL certifications, haven't looked into which one yet. Take a look at my current thread I have her, and you can see all the encouraging words from fellow memebers.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/90025-entering-field.html