Lab advisement required

bastap222bastap222 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm currently CCNA certified and I want to study for the CCNP, CCSP and maybe for the CCIE in a couple of years. I have no Cisco materiel yet. I'm wondering if this lab setup worth it for the price and if it's a good deal.

The guy want to sell :

-2x 3550 layer 3 switch
-2x 2950 Layer 2 switch
-2x 2621XM routers
-3x 2620XM routers
-1x Cisco ASA 5505 built in VPN and IPSEC
-1x DELL powerconnect 2808 gig switch
-All the cables are included
-CBT nuggets and Bowler Lab training DVD
-The mini rack

pictures: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3117/u9p5.png

He want 2000$ CAD for this. What do you guys think of this, is this a good deal?

Comments

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Opinions vary on this topic...you'll find many back and forth comments about physical equipment versus GNS3 etc.

Now which is best for you, let's find out. Do you currently work everyday with Cisco routers and switches? Have any experience working with them or just got your CCNA and looking to go further? I would highly suggest trying to land something that allow you to put your hands on equipment in a production environment.

When it comes to building a home lab, look at the reqs for CCNP and CCNP Security. Off the top of my head the lab above would suffice...NP will require 4 routers and 4 switches (2 L2 and 2 L3) so you have what you need there.

Security, i've been dabbling in that lately and that 5505 will get your through NA but NP will take you into HA and multiple contexts so dual 5510 w/ Security Plus License would be perfect. This is where you can configure multiple 5510's in GNS3

All in all I think it's a good rack, I prefer 1841 routers personally but those should be fine. I'm sure someone else will chime in and drop some more information.

Now finally, the price. Absolutely not! lol

Cisco 3550 - $75
    Cisco 2950 - 50
    Cisco 2621XM - $60
    ASA 5505 - $250 used

See where i'm going? This was me simply browsing Amazon real quick while typing this out. Piece it together yourself would be my final piece of advice.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • bastap222bastap222 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I studied in a college in network management, so I learned the CCNA there, and we had Cisco equipment for our labs. Actually, I'm not working with any router/switch equipment. I just contact him and I can get it for 1400$.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I would still piece it together myself before paying that price. Also, toss the Dell PowerConnect..no need for that IMO.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    He's making out like bandit for that price.
    ALl that gear is so old you can get it for under 100AUD each quite easily (the switches/routers).
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    This is expensive considering you can build a CCIE lab for around US$500 with GNS3, 2x3560, and 2x3550.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.