VOICE or Security?

Evanz ZidEvanz Zid Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have CCNA and I like to go for ccie, someone told me VOIP technology will be outdated in couple of days BUT ccie security always remain in the market and more jobs, Also VOIP can be outsource.
Can you throw some advice 4 me. Should I go for voip or security? Tnks icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    I don't have a CCIE but I can tell you my opinion.

IMO VOIP and Security cant be outsource. The company will always need someone local to maintain, troubleshoot, update VOIP architecture in their company. Same as to security, a company will always need someone local to monitor, maintain and update architecture/firewall/ips/ids/security.
  • Evanz ZidEvanz Zid Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    InFocus: The case for VoIP outsourcing

InFocus: The case for VoIP outsourcing

By Baruch Sterman, Kayote Networks
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Evanz Zid wrote: »
    I have CCNA and I like to go for ccie, someone told me VOIP technology will be outdated in couple of days BUT ccie security always remain in the market and more jobs, Also VOIP can be outsource.
    Can you throw some advice 4 me. Should I go for voip or security? Tnks icon_rolleyes.gif
    The exams for the CCNP Voice (the former CCVP) will be changing in February. But so will the exams for the CCNP Security (the former CCSP). Voice at least has some of the "rough cuts" of the new books available on SafariOnlineBooks.com. The new/updated books for Security aren't out yet.

Go for the one that interests you the most -- or offers you the greatest opportunities in your location if you like both equally. If you like both equally and you find that either will give you plenty of opportunities, then my opinion is that Security is easier than Voice (since I have the CCSP and CCVP and am working in a Voice position) -- so if you want a challenge, go Voice icon_lol.gif

If you go Voice -- get a job at a Cisco Business Partner and be the person doing the outsourcing for customers.

Ultimately your experience -- and the experience you earn between now and a CCIE -- will determine how valuable a CCIE # would actually be for you down the road. Check the Partner Locator on the Cisco Website and see if you have any Cisco Business Partners in your area. Then consider using your CCNA to try and get a job with one of them. If you can convince a Cisco Business Partner to give you a job, you'll learn pretty quick if you're cut out for a career in Cisco Networking -- and be able to decide for yourself if you'd prefer one over the other between Voice and Security.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Evanz ZidEvanz Zid Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THANK YOU...

This is excellent advice.. I should look for that..

Thanks again Mike.!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The exams for the CCNP Voice (the former CCVP) will be changing in February. But so will the exams for the CCNP Security (the former CCSP). Voice at least has some of the "rough cuts" of the new books available on SafariOnlineBooks.com. The new/updated books for Security aren't out yet.

Go for the one that interests you the most -- or offers you the greatest opportunities in your location if you like both equally. If you like both equally and you find that either will give you plenty of opportunities, then my opinion is that Security is easier than Voice (since I have the CCSP and CCVP and am working in a Voice position) -- so if you want a challenge, go Voice icon_lol.gif

If you go Voice -- get a job at a Cisco Business Partner and be the person doing the outsourcing for customers.

Ultimately your experience -- and the experience you earn between now and a CCIE -- will determine how valuable a CCIE # would actually be for you down the road. Check the Partner Locator on the Cisco Website and see if you have any Cisco Business Partners in your area. Then consider using your CCNA to try and get a job with one of them. If you can convince a Cisco Business Partner to give you a job, you'll learn pretty quick if you're cut out for a career in Cisco Networking -- and be able to decide for yourself if you'd prefer one over the other between Voice and Security.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    voip and security can be outsourced, but you can work for the outsourcer
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I work for a outsourcer now. You will get more milage out of your certs here than inhouse for a company. My primary job is doing VOIP, but as a example you run SIP and you want redundancy I have to setup BGP for you. You want to work at a place that outsources there IT. Inhouse IT is a thing of the past. With that said. All shops aren't created equal, make sure you get with a good one.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    voice all the way ;)
    there are tones more jobs in the voice space, and a lot more of a challenge.
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290

^^ What he said! Go for what interests you the most. Unfortunately outsourcing doesn't just apply to voice and security.

However that being said if you would like my opinion, I would say go voice. The reason being is that field is in very high demand right now. There are considerably less CCIE: Voice engineers out there than there are R&S and Security. And so by getting the voice you have a considerably easier chance at filling a spot with Cisco or a partner. Voice is a completely different world too and a lot tougher than security, so yet another reason there are less voice engineers.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I find most people earn CCNP: Routing and Switching and the CCIP before moving onto the CCIE Routing and Switching.
    -Daniel
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Evanz Zid wrote: »

am bit stack between the two as well i don't know if am could go VOICE or security but my interested is more into voice since i want to go for mobile tech, on the other hand i think security could be more paying than voice please advice
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do what interest you because you’ll never be an expert at a subject if don't truly love the subject. As for pay, it’s really an apples to apples comparison.

PS - If compensation is your sole motivational factor then why not BOTH!? :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad I searched on this because I am going through this too. Still studying for my CCNA, but once in awhile I let myself think ahead. The problem I find, is that I have NO experience at all with VOIP or Security. So when people say, 'do what interests you', well, that doesn't really help considering I'm not sure what I would be interested in since I've never really done much of either. Taking that into account, I think I might keep studying and try for CCNP after CCNA. By then, hopefully I have a better picture of what it means to work in Security or Voice.
    pamccabe wrote: »
    Glad I searched on this because I am going through this too. Still studying for my CCNA, but once in awhile I let myself think ahead. The problem I find, is that I have NO experience at all with VOIP or Security. So when people say, 'do what interests you', well, that doesn't really help considering I'm not sure what I would be interested in since I've never really done much of either. Taking that into account, I think I might keep studying and try for CCNP after CCNA. By then, hopefully I have a better picture of what it means to work in Security or Voice.

If you don’t stumble on the appropriate experience, check out the CCNA Voice and Security material, or better yet, sit the tests (it can’t hurt!).
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Voice, it's more of a challenge and more enjoyable than Security IMO.

shodown, I disagree that inhouse IT is dead but working as an outsourcer for other companies does keep you on your toes because of the variety of environments.
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I think both Security and Voice have long career paths ahead. In a way, shodown does have a valid point. Many companies are beginning to outsource their IT because it becomes a capital expense versus and operating expense.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□

The bolded part made me curious, what exactly are they changing and will this also reflect on Hardware?

Is there a link to an official information?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    JustFred wrote: »
    The bolded part made me curious, what exactly are they changing and will this also reflect on Hardware?

Is there a link to an official information?

The quote in question was from 2011 :)
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have absolutely no excuse for this, thats what i get for not paying attention :p
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    JustFred wrote: »
    I have absolutely no excuse for this, thats what i get for not paying attention :p

You are not alone.