Options

Which cert to start with?

kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been in the field for 2 years, first as a Field Tech at a Mom Pop shop, and now as a Help Desk/Field Tech at a bank. I was lucky to get my foot in the door, and then managed to learn a lot when I did. So, now, here I am, but I am wanting to do more.

I am studying for a two year degree at the local community college, but it is kind of lacking. A lot of the stuff that I am learning is stuff I have already learned from being on the job, so now I am looking elsewhere. I was thinking about trying for some certs, and then perhaps moving to WGU.

I hear that most people go for A+ and then Networking+.

I feel I am past the point that A+ is useful, and I tend to find Networking really dull. Perhaps I just haven't dug into it enough. Would it be best to set my teeth and dig into the Networking, so at least I have the fundamental basics down? I was also looking to do the 680 exam with Windows 7, but I heard that is difficult, and I would hate to try and learn something that I am not really ready for.

I posted about this in another area, but I feel a bit lost and confused. I am in the field, but a 2 year degree from the local community college feels useless, and I have no idea where I want to focus on in order to get a cert. If there are general paths that would be good until I somehow find a focus, that might be good? I am honestly not sure.

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What parts of your past/current job did you enjoy the most or did you see areas that interested you?

Once you answer those questions, then you can answer the Cert questions
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security and Server administration interests me, while Network administration doesn't. This led me to perhaps prepare for MCTS 70-680, but I do not actually have experience in a Windows 7 corporate setting. I currently work as a Help Desk/Tech in a XP setting, but they are looking to move forward.

Perhaps Network+ to go ahead and fill my Networking knowledge gaps? Then, is it okay to jump right to the 70-680, or is there a better path to take that will build me up for it? I saw the MTA's, but I heard they are easy, and near-useless.