Passed but didn't know it expired??

smcfaysmcfay Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can someone please explain to me how the CompTIA CE program works in plain english? Is it just a money thing where i have to pay $149 every 3 years to extend the Security+ certification or do i have to retake the exam?

Comments

• aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    From what I understand you have to complete the given number of CEU's, pay the fees before your certificate expires. Otherwise you'll have to take the exam again.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums smcfay.

It's not just a money thing. It's a continuing education thing to show that you have current knowledge through efforts to continue your education.

If you do continue your education, you can pay the annual fees, and register your continuing education units through CompTIAs site.

If you don't continue your education, or you just don't want to enroll in the continuing education program, your cert will expire in 3 years. You can retake it at any time. When you pass it, a new 3 year time frame starts.

Hope this helps.
  • DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can also get another certification of higher value to renew your security +. Like if you took CISSP in 2 years your Security+ would be renewed from the date you passed the exam. You can check it out on this link.

CE Program: Renewing Through Other Certifications

Hope this is what you are asking for.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I renewed my Security+ by getting MCSA. I was audited and they verified everything.
  • smcfaysmcfay Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums smcfay.

It's not just a money thing. It's a continuing education thing to show that you have current knowledge through efforts to continue your education.

If you do continue your education, you can pay the annual fees, and register your continuing education units through CompTIAs site.

If you don't continue your education, or you just don't want to enroll in the continuing education program, your cert will expire in 3 years. You can retake it at any time. When you pass it, a new 3 year time frame starts.

Hope this helps.

Interesting so what exactly does the CE program consist of, do i have to take additional courses on top of fees to get the credits?
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats! Just keep the certs/knowledge coming and you'll be fine. Info is on their site.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    smcfay wrote: »
    Interesting so what exactly does the CE program consist of, do i have to take additional courses on top of fees to get the credits?
    There's a wide assortment of things you can do to get credits. The link that Deezy FF provided brings you to the CompTIA site. With just a couple of clicks, I pulled up this page http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_activity_chart.sflb.ashx whcih lists qualifying activities. Once you register with the CE program, it's painless to enter the credits.

The program is similar to the (ISC)2 program for SSCP and CISSP.
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can see why this gets promoted by comptia and they push it on the basis of continual improvement, but with the price their exams are I think it is a bit cheeky, but other providers have been doing it for years.

In three years time your expierence will be worth a lot more than this exam anyway so it would be a major issue if it expired and by then you will probably be or have sat a more expierenced exam.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    smcfay wrote: »
    Joining ISSA can help you. It costs $99 + any local chapter dues (if any) annually. You can attend the meetings, maintain your credits, network with others, and learn new technologies.
  • smcfaysmcfay Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the information everyone
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Darril wrote: »

I disagree. To a large extent, it is a money thing. EC-Council is another entry level certification provider and they have a continuing education program that doesn't cost a thing. Not to mention, CompTIA has somehow managed to scam the entire DOD...(or more likely somebody in the DOD who also has a vested interest in CompTIA scammed the DOD when writing the contract in order to line their own pockets). I work with several people in my section who are civilians but are also weekend warriors (Reservists or National Guard). Everyone who has two DOD positions like this (and that's a lot of them) has to submit tokens for CompTIA CE on both sides. That means, that CompTIA is getting paid 2x for thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of DOD personnel. Wrap your brain around the fraud, waste and abuse involved in that one. icon_rolleyes.gif