Routers For CCNP ?

william_yeowilliam_yeo Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guyz, i'm a CCNP student here... i was wondering, is there a "MUST" for me to buy routers to practice ?? If yes, how many routers i need and wat model is that ? How much it cost ? wat IOS needed ?

Thanks in advance for ur respond ! :D

Comments

• romainromain Member Posts: 222
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i was wondering, is there a "MUST" for me to buy routers to practice ?? If yes, how many routers i need and wat model is that ? How much it cost ? wat IOS needed ?
    Did you do hands on work for your CCNA? Are you working with routers and switches at work everyday? Are you working as a CCNA now -- doing more than creating TPS reports in Excel and Word?

It's hard to really learn some of the stuff if you don't have the hands on experience and practice. But Yes -- you can do it without a home lab and even without any hands on work. The CCNP would still give you an advantage competing with CCNAs for jobs -- unless you were competing with experienced CCNAs -- then they might beat you out for the job, depending on you CCNA experience.

You can take notes from books and memorize command sequences -- and study sample copies of command output in books -- and if you study really hard -- you could pass the exams.

Simulators (when they work) can take you maybe 70% of the way. eLabs are better than nothing -- but most of them seem to prompt you for the next step to take and tell you what to do when you type something wrong -- so some people read and follow the instructions but don't actually learn anything.

You can always rent rack time -- but that can get expensive if you don't have a "plan" -- you can waste time online. You also usually have to book the time in advance -- so if work/life interfered with your study plan -- you may have an online slot and nothing to work on. There also could be free rack access -- check out Wildfire's signature line in one of his posts).

I used the Cisco Press Practical Studies books -- and a home lab. There are lots of times while studying its great to jump on the routers to try the commands and check out the output -- and then get back to the books. With rack rentals -- you have to make notes about things you want to look at during your next rack time slot.

You should be able to page through your books and skim the material and get an idea of what equipment you would need if you decided to build a home lab.

3-5 routers would probably be the most that you really need.

One 2610 running >12.2xxx (enterprise?) for trunking (even though its a 10Mbps interface). Any of the FastEthernet 26xxs would also work -- and maybe the 17xxs except for the 1720.

One 252x for a Frame relay switch.

If ISDN is still in the exam blueprints (BCRAN) then get a cheap ISDN simulator and 2 2503 routers (2 serial, 1 ethernet, 1 BRI?).

If you see that you could use that 5th router -- get a 2501 or 2513.

For switches you would probably need 3 -- if you skip some stuff, you could get by with 2. One should probably be a 2950, the other(s) could be the cheaper 29xx IOS based models.

You'd want to get the routers with max memory or upgrade them youself. If you have IOS 12.2 enterprise or greater, you're probably fine. You'd also want the enterprise-encryption-firewall IOS for some of the stuff you might have to do on 2 of the routers.

Toss in the cost of cables (back-to-back serial, network, console, etc), transceivers, memory upgrades, and the shipping costs -- and you're looking at between $800-$1500 on eBay -- if you shop hard and stick to a budget. I never did find a 3rd 2950 in "my price range" -- but I did borrow 2 more from work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • william_yeowilliam_yeo Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    actually i got a pending seller, but i still thinking on it...can some 1 here giv some comment or opinion ?? here it is :

*By having these devices, is it really enuf for CCNP & CCIE lab ?
    * I got 4 Cisco 2950 switches.

The Best Price of Cisco Router --> CCNA , CCNP , CCIP even CCIE ...
    All Routers using Max Dram and Flash with Later IOS ! 21 day HARDWARE WARRANTY. So you can enjoy it ...

Cisco 2501 used router : RM800
    Cisco 2503 used router : RM1000
    Cisco 2514 used router : RM1100
    Cisco 2610 used router : RM2000 with Wic-1T

All 2500 series router just update to max 16mb flash and 16mb Dram and it just update to later IOS already ..

2503 and 2514 is using 12.3 IP Plus IOS and 2501 is using 12.2 Enterprice IOS .. These router is enough for CCNA until CCNP level .. even CCIE !!

2610 also just update to max 16mb flash and 64mb Dram .. and it is using Enterprice IOS ... It can be used as ur ccie R&S lab also ...

All router is working as perfect condition ....

Note : Cisco 2500 Series Routers have a Default 4mb Dram / 4mb Flash . Cisco 2500 Series Routers have a MAX 16mb Dram / 16mb Flash . Cisco 2610 Series Router have a Default DRAM 32MB (Max 64) Default Flash 8MB (Max 16MB) .

The specification of routers : Cisco 2501 used router : 2 serials, one AUI, console & AUX port Cisco 2503 used router : 2 serials, one AUI, console, AUX & BRI port Cisco 2514 used router : 2 serials, Two AUI, console & AUX port Cisco 2610 used router : 2 Wic slot & 1 NM slot. Wic-1T is in the package !!

Free Gift for buying one router : 1. Console Cable 1. Power Cable

Free Gift for buying two router : 1. All Gift of package one .. 2. one back to back cable (HD60 Back to Back).

It can allow router direct to connect together , no need to use the female(CAB-V35FC) and male cable(CAB-V35MT) .. both of them is quite expensive !!

Free Gift for buying three router : 1. All Gift of package two 2. one more back to back cable

Free Gift for buying four router : 1. All Gift for package three 3. one more back to back cable
  • darkplayerdarkplayer Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    william_yeo

Did you ever figure out if that was enough for CCNP? I pretty much have the same setup, except for the 2916.

1924 - switch
  • HowardMHowardM Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you need routers/switches for CCNP study check out ChipSet Technologies.

http://store.yahoo.net/chipsettech/index.html
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HowardM wrote:
    If you need routers/switches for CCNP study check out ChipSet Technologies.

http://store.yahoo.net/chipsettech/index.html

Yeah i second that,if you wanna get ripped off!!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 1900 series is too old! 2924/48 are a minimum I would think.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    Yeah i second that,if you wanna get ripped off!!
    That guy is just a good businessman who knows that a sucker is born every minutes..... icon_lol.gif

I'm just glad I wasn't drinking a glass of milk when I saw those prices....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!