Options

whats a logical step up from wireshark?

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was wondering if any one has some good suggestions for a enterprise version of wireshark, that can give good reports and analysis of the network proformace and trouble shooting

One I have used in the past is network observer. Network Instruments – Observer

but i know wire-shark do have some enterprise solutions and things like LAN guardian are out there two, just looking for some suggestions.

Cheers

Aaron
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Possibly something from SolarWinds Orion? I love the netflow section in there. Helps me out a bunch when seeking which devices are top talkers.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Perhaps you're thinking about Pilot:

http://www.riverbed.com/products-solutions/products/performance-management/network-infrastructure/High-Speed-Packet-Analysis.html

or other CACE (now Riverbed) products:

http://www.cacetech.com/

If you're just looking for top-talkers, there are plenty of tools that can help with that including flow collectors and such. For packet inspection, there's also Solera (recently acquired by Bluecoat) and NetWitness.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    we have LanGardian that does an OK job for top talkers, and Mutiny, both can do some decent netflow stuff. But I am looking from more in depth packet inspections. I want to do application analysis and montitor video and voice streams
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Maybe look into some of the netflow / sflow collectors like Scrutinizer?
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to work for a Fortune 50 company that used nGenius InfiniStream and Opnet. The appliances were Network General for the most part but since NetScout bought them, the sniffer guys started looking a different one and started investing on Opnet's solution, which apparently is now part of Riverbed. Since the network engineering team and packet sniffer guys were merged together before I left the company, I've had privileges of playing with the tools. The InfiniStream Console was easier for me to use than the Opnet solution but it was more powerful than the InfiniStream. Since there were only two floating license (license wasn't cheap), I didn't get to play much and also the duties were still pretty much separate even though they merged the two teams.

Good luck with your choice!
  • Options
    Apart from top tens and protocol stats I have not used netflow much beyond this. How much can you pull from netflow data, I am thinking things like packet latency and network issues?
  • Options
    izatt82izatt82 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Might want to take a look at BRO network programing language. BRO will do anything and everything you could want from analyzing network traffic. Depends on how you want to move forward. Exercise: Bro Programming Primer