Options

Am I ready?

rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been studying the Network+ exam now for about 2 months but on all the practice test that I have taken I keep getting a high 70%. I will say that I am almost though my study guide (on chapter 9 of 10) but on the practice test there were only about 3 questions from those chapters.

What I believe Im having the most trouble on is Physical layer stuff such as cabling types/distances/speed/connectors, port numbers (I know the most common ones like FTP, DNS, HTTP), and TCP/IP Utilities (netstat, arp...)

If I were to take the test right now how would I do?

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Which study guide are you using?
    I used the Sybex book as my study guide and read teh technotes from this site.

You really should be getting about 90% on most practice tests before attempting the exam I would say.
  • Options
    Heres my study guide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0782144063/sr=1-1/qid=1145555613/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3622961-6428003?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I do have an A.A.S. in the IT field so that should help.

I have already bought the voucher, but it expires in mid october. I would like to take the exam before June because I heard a rumor that new objectives will be added to the exam then.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    That looks like its an update to the Sybex book I used... I had the second edition. I read the book and this site and took practice tests from the Books CD, this site and mcmcse.com.

My total study time was about 3 weeks. I hope this helps you to determine if you are ready or not. I should mention that in high school I did have 4 semesters of a CCNA course, so I do have some past experience and I've also been in a work enviroment for the past 6 years that doees require some networking skills.
  • Options
    ok cool....sounds like Im ALMOST ready. After I finish the book Im going to read all the tech notes here on this site. GREAT site by the way.

I also got my ISO model down pat as just about every class I had in college covered at least some aspect of it.

Oh and I forgot to mention that this will be my first certification and from what I hear is a great one to start out on.
  • Options
    gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    I took the test today (passed) and on my exam you had to know alot about physical layer. Specially, cabling distances, connectors, speed and wireless.
    Some questions I didn't like the way ComTIA delivered, so I took the best guess.

Good luck.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)