Options

BGP Load Sharing

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
Please find the attached drawing.

I am curious if it is possible to load share traffic destined to "Parent Comp" (through AS 32001/32002) sourced from any of the remote AS 32003/32004/32005/32006? Can this be accomplished from the customer side without engaging the provider to change their provisioning?

Comments

• Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Each remote AS has only a single link, so the only load sharing would happen within the SP AS. This is entirely up to them. They would either need iBGP multipathing, in which case it's up to their actual topology... or they use dmzlink-bw for unequal cost load-sharing to their exit points.

If you want to get crazy, you can build GRE tunnels from each remote to each BGP router at Parent Comp and use that to load-share internal traffic.... but really, what would be the point? Why have redundant connections if neither can handle the full load when the other fails?
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    You can also do specific BGP route advertisement from the parent comp as a way of manual "load balancing"...

for instance say BW for one ISP pipe for parent comp is larger; NAT BW extensive services / IPs to a particular pool and advertise them out ONLY your higher BW link... they will always transverse that link and the larger prefix will serve as a backup still.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    You can also do specific BGP route advertisement from the parent comp as a way of manual "load balancing"...

for instance say BW for one ISP pipe for parent comp is larger; NAT BW extensive services / IPs to a particular pool and advertise them out ONLY your higher BW link... they will always transverse that link and the larger prefix will serve as a backup still.

Thats what we do, but then you have to NAT before you hit the BGP router so you need a 2 tier edge topology
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I may just have to engage the SP to accomplish what I am after. I was trying to avoid this as this SP breaks stuff when they modify things.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Thats what we do, but then you have to NAT before you hit the BGP router so you need a 2 tier edge topology

Yup; we have number of end users and we've found that most of our traffic is inbound; where as if you have mostly outbound (a lot of e-commerce / outbound traffic) local preference may work well for you.