Default VLAN question?

JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studying for my Net+ and I just finished Mike Meyers book and started taking practice tests.

I came across this question that I got wrong from the total tester software:

What is the default VLAN that is present right out of the box?

A: 0
B: 1
C: 100
D: 1024

Correct Answer according to the tester software is 1. "If your switch has VLAN capabilities and you just plugged it in for the first time, then all your devices connected will be on VLAN1. That's just the way it is."

However!

In Mike Myers book in chapter 12 it says this:
"There is a VLAN0. This is the default VLAN. When you buy a new VLAN-capable switch and plug it in, every port on that switch is preset to VLAN0."

Does anyone have advice on what the correct answer would be if I see something similar on the real CompTIA Net+ test?

Thanks in advance,
- Jimmy

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jimehboo wrote: »
    What is the default VLAN that is present right out of the box? Correct Answer according to the tester software is 1.
    This is correct for the most devices.
    "There is a VLAN0. This is the default VLAN. When you buy a new VLAN-capable switch and plug it in, every port on that switch is preset to VLAN0."
    All books make mistakes. Check the errata page of your book and you're liable to spend less time worrying about them.
    Does anyone have advice on what the correct answer would be if I see something similar on the real CompTIA Net+ test?
    As with any test, you'd should provide the correct or best possible answer.
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Also, frames passing between ports in native VLAN are not tagged, iirc. Since the native VLAN is often VLAN 1, they are not tagged by default. Maybe that's what they meant?

(ps. unless vlan dot1q tag native)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember being tripped up by that same thing in his book. As others have said, it should be VLAN1 for these tests. You'll find this to be true when/if you start to get into Cisco. Good luck!
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    That's a pretty big freakin typo in the book!
  • ibn e batutaibn e batuta Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    By untagged packets, we mean, switch management update packets (CDP,DTP,VTP update packets etc ) rest of packets will be tagged