Passed the OSCP...

Just now deciding to call it quits after 22 hours of non-stop punishment. Of the 5 boxes, I rooted 4 and got local access to 1. Didn't root them all, but enough to say I'm officially an OSCP after my first attempt (pending paperwork submission and approval) icon_biggrin.gif. Thanks to everyone for all your support through this whole thing. And a HUGE thanks to Phil, Pawan and Quinn. You guys are AWESOME. And I seriously couldn't have done it without you guys. Hands down, the most interesting and intense 24 hours of my life. TAKE THIS COURSE!!!

I'm going to get some sleep......

Comments

• chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    Awesome congrats on the pass, sounds like a gauntlet of an exam.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Great job the_hutch! Well deserved pass!!! Congratulations icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
  • widget101widget101 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, congrats!!
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif I was expecting a pass from the first try :D Very big accomplishment! Any plans of going for OSCE?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome! Congratulations.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Big whoops. Congratulations.

When you wake up ... would really like an idea of your preparation track for this one.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very awesome man, congrats! This one has been on my radar for a while, but I have not had the time necessary to dedicate to attempting it. You definitely have something to be proud of!
  • r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome job and congrats, Justin! It was great being part of your study group. You have great potential and I predict big things for you in the years ahead.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations, man!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Thanks everyone. Almost done with my report and ready to submit it and be done with this, lol. I still have 74 days left of lab time. Hoping to get Pain and Sufferance...and then gain control of the admin department.
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif I was expecting a pass from the first try :D Very big accomplishment! Any plans of going for OSCE?

OSCE is in my future plans. But its probably a ways down the road. I owe my family some time now...since I've kind of ignored everyone for the past 4 months.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Was the exam what you expected?
  • Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Well done. Not surprised at all considering how much work you've put into it.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I cant wait to do this at some point this year. The course and exam sound intense!
  • MattSCMattSC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass. That is awesome!!!
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're the man Hutch! Congrats! Sounds like a grueling exam. I'd buy ya a celebratory beverage if I was closer.
  • technosecuritytechnosecurity Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Justin,

Congrats for becoming OSCP, and yes i agree that i have also never taken such a big challenge in my life, once again congrats for conquering it.

Thanks

P.L
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    great work! i plan on doing this in 2014. So 4-5 months is what you recommend for a study time table? Any other advice ? extra reading or books to work on?

Thanks and congrats again!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Was the exam what you expected?

There were a few surprises...but mostly, it was what I expected. I handled the 24 hours better than I expected I would. Didn't feel like my brain had turned to mush by the end, as many people had warned.
    In regard to everyone's questions about suggestions for preparing for PWB...I'd say the thing that probably came in most handy was just working in my own lab. Setup a network with VMware or VirtualBox and start hacking your systems to pieces. Configure servers with different services. Downloaded vulnerable applications and install them. Research the associated vulnerabilities and figure out how to break into them. Because this is exactly what you will be doing in the course. Metasploitable2 has numerous vulnerable web-applications and services that can be helpful in getting familiar with Backtrack/Kali exploitation (and free to download).

But in the end, there is nothing that can quite compare to the experience that you get just working in the OffSec labs. As I've said many times before, I regret not doing this sooner. I literally spent years thinking up ways of how I could prepare for this. This course is more intimidating than anything. But if you take the course (and test) step-by-step, server-by-server, you'll get there...even if it takes you a little longer than others. Because of other commitments, it took me longer than some to finish the course and take the exam. I would recommend having some money set aside to reload your lab time if necessary. Took me approximately 110 days of lab time to get to a point where I was ready to take the exam.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome! thanks for the valuable input!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Congrats hutch!! Very well deserved.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Even though I'm late to the party - congrats on the pass! I'm hoping to go through this crucible too, but it won't be for a while. I've got the CCNA lined up next, and after that I'll be looking to start a grad school program.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Knew you would be able to pull it off! Also thanks so much for the writeup, looking at this one pretty hard in the future.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.