Primary training through New Horizons?

SharkbaitSharkbait Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Let me start by saying that this forum has been a goldmine for me. I'm taking the Sec+ training through New Horizons here in my town. Kind of bitter-sweet, the bad news is that I was unemployed but the good news is that I was able to get the government to pay for the training and tests (Sec+, CEH, and CISSP). I've been in I.T. for over 15 years so I know my way around the office, and this will be my first COMPTIA cert. I've read through many forums and was wondering what people thought about the New Horizons program? My classwork is self-paced. They have practice tests, oral presentations, and lab sessions. But, I don't want to leave any stone unturned. I purchased the EXAM/Cram book off the web (before I found this forum ). I'm looking to augment my training as best I can. I think I'll be ready to take the test in a few weeks. SB

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take a peek at Professor Messer as well. I find for myself, reviewing different media/mediums of material is invaluable, even if I've heard or seen it before.

Free CompTIA Security+ Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training
  • abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll second that...

I don't like video training as it locks you in on a set speed that material is given.. If I'm reading a book, I can read the fluff quickly and gloss over the stuff I know... I can slow down and read carefully the parts that I'm having difficulty with, and put a bookmark on the pages I know I'll be back too over and over.

I went through many of the Prof Messer Security+ vids, and never felt constrained. They were divided up (and indexed clearly) in the right size chunks and topics so I could easily pick and choose the ones I needed to watch (and rewatch) and the ones I could skip over. The material was presented clearly and to the point.. no babbling or useless run-on.

Not to mention, the price fell right in with my training/beer budget.. LOL
  • blng_blngblng_blng Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey sharkbait...how did you get the government to pay for your certs?
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would also like to know peoples opinions on new horizons. My current employer is partnered with them and have offered me to go get training through them for my CCNP
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sharkbait wrote: »
    Let me start by saying that this forum has been a goldmine for me. I'm taking the Sec+ training through New Horizons here in my town. Kind of bitter-sweet, the bad news is that I was unemployed but the good news is that I was able to get the government to pay for the training and tests (Sec+, CEH, and CISSP). I've been in I.T. for over 15 years so I know my way around the office, and this will be my first COMPTIA cert. I've read through many forums and was wondering what people thought about the New Horizons program? My classwork is self-paced. They have practice tests, oral presentations, and lab sessions. SB

What I can tell you about New Horizons is what I have used in Microsoft and Novell classroom training. When we did the labs, the instructor did not know how to resolve our issues. We would just have to upload a new image and hope it would work. Most instructors will test their equipment randomly to see if the image and hardware work for the class. Your best best is to do some research on the instructors and get an understanding of what they know and how they would prepare you in the class and for the exam.

Good Luck!!!
  • SharkbaitSharkbait Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It turns out that they (Colorado State Government) started a program back at the end of January to provide education for "Displaced Workers". Their philosophy was/is that it costs less to train currently unemployed individuals (with the expectation that their resume would be more appealing) as opposed to paying their unemployment benefits over 12 months. So, they partnered with New Horizons to provide vouchers for those who qualified. There was zero publicity of this program. I got lucky because a family friend works for New Horizons and made me aware of the program.

-SB-
    FloOz wrote: »
    I would also like to know peoples opinions on new horizons. My current employer is partnered with them and have offered me to go get training through them for my CCNP

I will certainly report back after my first class is complete. :)
  • movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sharkbait wrote: »
    Let me start by saying that this forum has been a goldmine for me. I'm taking the Sec+ training through New Horizons here in my town. Kind of bitter-sweet, the bad news is that I was unemployed but the good news is that I was able to get the government to pay for the training and tests (Sec+, CEH, and CISSP). I've been in I.T. for over 15 years so I know my way around the office, and this will be my first COMPTIA cert. I've read through many forums and was wondering what people thought about the New Horizons program? My classwork is self-paced. They have practice tests, oral presentations, and lab sessions. But, I don't want to leave any stone unturned. I purchased the EXAM/Cram book off the web (before I found this forum ). I'm looking to augment my training as best I can. I think I'll be ready to take the test in a few weeks. SB

I am gov as well but have not heard of ANY option that would allow my employer to pay for my testing fees. They pay for some training through NH but none related to my situation. If I knew how to get them to cover what I paid for my voucher I would jump at it. I called about the pricing for the Sec+ training from NH and its over 3 grand! I read DG's book and took a college class and called it a day! Passed. I am also IT, but your office sounds more organized than mine. Or maybe it is just that I was in a career experience program. I have had to pay for ALL my schooling.
    Security+
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums Sharkbait, and congrats on getting some paid training to help you move ahead.

New Horizons has been around for a long time and I've heard both good things and bad things about them. As bigdogz alludes, it really depends on the instructor so a great experience in New York might not be the same in a different location.

Your program sounds different with mixed media so it might not be as dependent on the instructor.

Good luck.
    I am gov as well but have not heard of ANY option that would allow my employer to pay for my testing fees. They pay for some training through NH but none related to my situation. If I knew how to get them to cover what I paid for my voucher I would jump at it. I called about the pricing for the Sec+ training from NH and its over 3 grand! I read DG's book and took a college class and called it a day! Passed. I am also IT, but your office sounds more organized than mine. Or maybe it is just that I was in a career experience program. I have had to pay for ALL my schooling.

The program is (was) for dislocated workers. One of the criteria is that you had to be unemployed to qualify (among other things). It just turns out that after I started the program, I was able to find employment on my own. Fortunately, I was already accepted and I could continue taking the courses anyway.

Come to think of it, I'll have to check when I take the test. It's possible that I'll have to pay. I know the state paid a $6000.00 grant and that covers the cost for 3 courses at New Horizon. I'll report back after I take the test.

-SB-
    Darril wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums Sharkbait, and congrats on getting some paid training to help you move ahead.

New Horizons has been around for a long time and I've heard both good things and bad things about them. As bigdogz alludes, it really depends on the instructor so a great experience in New York might not be the same in a different location.

Your program sounds different with mixed media so it might not be as dependent on the instructor.

Good luck.

Yeah, I was told that they just changed the curriculum this month (May). I'm not familiar with the old system, but they use a program called "Cram Master Online" (I'm taking the self-paced classes instead of instructor driven). I'm guessing that I'd be one of the first guinea pigs using this new system. After I take the exam, I'll report back with my experience.

-SB-
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What was the grant program?

I've recently been "de-layered" as my company calls it.

Flo...One thing I can tell you as I go through my training with New Horizons (self-paced, video learning) is that sometimes the video instructor speaks really fast and strings a lot of important information together. It makes it sort of difficult to simultaneously take notes. I have to rewind the video 3 or 4 times to make sure I hear everything that was said. I just KNOW that this will ultimately be on the test somewhere and if I don't digest it, I'd be in trouble.

-Sharkbait-
    Small Update: I'm taking my self-paced courses through New Horizon while simultaneously reading the "ExamCRAM" book. I'm noticing that the New Horizon classes appear to be geared toward actually trying to teach you the information about Security. This approach should by default prepare you for the exam. The ExamCRAM (and I'm sure other learning tools) are more geared toward giving you what you need to know to answer the questions you may see on the test.

Personally, I like the two-pronged approach. I want to lay down a good foundation in preparation for future certifications, so I'm hoping this proves to be a good method. Stay tuned for more...

-Sharkbait-
    Small update: I'm almost through the New Horizon training for the class. There are 7 sessions (each session is about 4-8 hours of study if you include the practice quizzes, labs, lecture and simulations). In the mean time, I'm also watching the Prof. Messer videos and trolling other Sec+ forums. I'm starting to feel really good about the material I'm learning. I'm getting a feel for how I think the questions on the quiz will be worded. I'll make sure to use the "Elimination Method" to weed out the obvious potential answers.

One little thing I'm noticing is that Prof. Messer has some juicy nuggets embedded within his videos that my formal classes haven't addressed. Spam with White Listing, Black listing, and Bayesian filtering for example. Every handful of Messer videos will yield me a couple of nuggets that might be on the test.

I'm thinking I'll get my voucher next week. Stay tuned.

-Sharkbait-
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't like video training as it locks you in on a set speed that material is given.. If I'm reading a book, I can read the fluff quickly and gloss over the stuff I know... I can slow down and read carefully the parts that I'm having difficulty with, and put a bookmark on the pages I know I'll be back too over and over.
    Just a tip. You can actually choose to speed-up or slow down videos. For example, I'm running INE's Spanning Tree video at 2x speed just now because I consider it, as you say, "fluff". It's telling me the default STP hello time. :P
    UPDATE: So I've completed the lessons, the simulations, the quizzes, and I thought I was ready to go. For good measure, I've watched all of the Professor Messer videos and I'm even going through my ExamCram book. Turns out, there is now a round of "Pre-Exams" and evaluations. Very similar to the practice tests here on this website. Well, I have to receive at least 85% on that online test before I can then go into the New Horizon's office to take their "No Kidding Pre Test". I also have to get an 85% on that test. ONLY THEN, do I receive my voucher to take the actual Security+ test at the testing center.

I suppose they want to be absolutely sure their students have absorbed every ounce of knowledge possible before turning them loose on the test.

I'll have another update in a week or two when I have voucher in hand and I'm ready to take the test.

-Sharkbait-
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I'm wondering if they've given some guarantee. For example, some organizations guarantee that you'll pass the exam if you follow their procedures and if you don't pass, they give money back. They don't want to give any money back, so they use comprehensive methods to ensure people are ready. The good news is that you can be assured you will pass after following their procedures.

Good luck.
  • datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As regards for profit training entities, New Horizon has a pretty decent reputation, albeit a bit pricey, and in a boot-camp delivery structure. I base my statement on some trainings that I took with them a few years ago, and on perusing their site for possible additional trainings.
    I'm back...The last 4 or 5 months have been wild. I won't even go into the details.

Small update: I'm still training for my Security+. Life kinda intervened for a while, but I'm back on track. I've been studying New Horizons self-paced Sybex training course. It has been difficult for me to gain traction because of the way their test questions are delivered. They seem to ask questions that are loosly related to the material and you have to make some far-reaching inferences and assumptions to come up with the right answer. The style of Q&A are much different than the questions posed in this website, Professor Messer, and other books. I know with the studying I've been doing for the last 6 months (off and on), I'll be able to pass the test. I'm just curious now to play out this New Horizon training program.

I was able to get my hands on a copy of Darril's Security+ book, and let me tell you, it's like GOLD. There is a 100-question pretest at the beginning of the book, and I scored very, very well. I'm going to read each and every page of the book, and then return to the Sybex test from New Horizons. If my score doesn't improve out there, I'm just going to pay the money for the voucher and take the test myself. All of this should be happening very soon (next few weeks). I know version sy0-401 is right around the corner, so I wanna get this cert under my belt.

-Sharkbait-
  • longbitslongbits Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SB,
    I used to work with a "Shark Bait" in CSprings at the Academy and another company. Are you him? This is Beaker from WEdge. BTW, I am taking the Sec + on Monday and will let you know how it goes. All I have done is DG's book and questions with some other questions listed in various blogs.
    Beaker
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    reading this post was painful and brought tears to my eyesicon_wm.gif. New Herizon is a freaking hustle, YOU can read the D. Gibson in 2 weeks like I did and pass. let me repeat that. YOU can read the D. Gibson book in 2 weeks like I did and pass. so no more "excuses" I am not a big supporter of the "more than one resource" mess everyone talks about. having 3 people teach you something 3 different ways will confuse you. Ex. 94% recommend Odom for CCNA I preferred Lammie.
    Ex Odom
    In order to make a complete circle, you would have to travel 75 feet then turn left, travel 75 more feet then turn left, then travel 75 more feet then turn left, you will have arrived at your destination successfully.
    Ex Lammie
    Turn left three times.
    dpsmooth15...I hear ya. I'm very fortunate that my current position doesn't require the Sec+ cert (yet). My only urgency is to complete it before the sy0-301 goes offline. Another thing in my favor is that I didn't have to come out of pocket for my training. While I was unemployed last year, I got in with a state government unemployment training grant.

I'm almost willing to agree with you. The information NH provides is valid, but I almost get the feeling that they are not preparing you to take the test. They are preparing you to be a Security professional. It just so happens that some of the content seems to coincide with the Security+ exam. I'm on a self-paced, independent program. I have resources at the center that I can call on, but I'm mostly on my own. As I mentioned earlier, I do have Darril's book and I'll take the test as soon as I'm done reading it.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

P.S. Yup, it's me Beaker. icon_thumright.gif I sent you a private message.

-Sharkbait-
    I can finally say that today I passed the Sec+ exam with an 810. It's taken me several extra months due to all kinds of extraneous stuff, but I finally made it. I used New Horizons online training, Darril's book, Professor Messer's website, this website, and some other resources. In all, I probably devoted about 300 hours to watching videos, reading books and taking practice exams.

The questions on the test revolved around A LOT of scenarios..."Jenny, the Sr. Network Administrator is trying to blah, blah, blah...", so not only do you have to break the question down to determine what they are REALLY asking for, you have to know what the answer is. Darril is absolutely correct that when you take the practice exams, be SURE you know why the right answer is right, and the wrong answer is wrong.

A lot of people reported they had a sickening feeling that they'd fail the test in the middle of taking it. I got that same feeling. I was also up against the clock. I took extra care in my simulations, and left myself with less than 1 minute per question when I got to the Q&A section. I had a total of 74 questions with 5 scenarios (I think). One scenario that really got to me was the firewall ACL's. You get a network diagram, and the question gives you three configuration conditions...ready, go. And that's it. It literally took me 4 minutes before I moused-over the firewall and it glowed.

All-in-all I think Darril's book prepared me the best to take the test. Then, it was a tie between Professor Messer's videos and this website. Finally the New Horizon's online training material; which gave me more of an all-around understanding of the world of Security.

Now it's a 2 week break, and I jump into CISSP.

-Sharkbait-
  • donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job, I got the same score, CISSP will be allot more entisive, I am on that now. I am going the self studie route.
  • rocmanrocman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate to badmouth anyone, but I took the computer based Network + thru New Horizons and to be perfectly honest it was a waste of nearly 2K. The thing that got me certified was the online forums and practice tests. I practice with the New Horizons until I could get all 250 questions right 5 times in a row. When I took the test maybe 5 questions came out of their test bank. Things may have been different with a different online instructor, but the one I had went straight from the book and spent half the time talking about his history in networking.
    I tend to agree with you rocman. I don't feel that the New Horizons material prepares you for the actual test. From my experience, it felt like they were preparing you for the "lifestyle" of a Security Administrator. If that would have been my only resource, I seriously think I would have failed. As I prepare for the CISSP, I plan to go through the NH material (just to get the overview), and then use this website and other resources to get a feel for what the exam will be like.

-Sharkbait-
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did New Horizons a while back, along with this site. I was taking the Network + and I was supposed to keep going with several others. Their instructors were alright, but not really available. They pretty much handed you the book and then just had you come in to blather at you.

This was several years ago, and I didn't end up paying for the remainder of the balance (they waived it). However depending on the school/staff I think it could be a valuable model, like WGU.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber