Options

What salaries are considered entry level in IT?

spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is $20-$22/hr considered entry level pay in the IT field? If not, does someone mind breaking down what payrates are considered entry level, mid level, high level, etc...

Comments

• Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Depends on location and job duties.
    but generally range from 10-20/hr
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Entry-level pay in my area varies from roughly $10/hr to $40/hr, depending on how much you invested in your education and/or certifications. Visit Payscale or Glassdoor if you want to compare typical Jr/Normal/Sr salaries where you are.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would agree more closely with Sounds Good.

$9.00 - $20.00 in Knoxville, TN. That price applies for L2 as well because apparently no one around here thinks there is a difference between the two.

As an example, I have between 3-5 years experience and make $14.00 p/h + $2.25 p/h shift diff. Very low in my opinion, but this company has some good potential and great management.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Depending on the area
    for example...
    Where I used to live pizza delivery peeps earned like 8 bucks n hour
    in Washington they earn almost 15 bucks...
    depends on the lifecost and/or area
    meh
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    In the Southeast, $32-40k is entry level.
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    In Charlotte everything I've been offered has been in the $10-$13 range for entry level work, that's why I went a different route.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would say in my area it would be about 15hr or less.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What industry the company is in can be a major factor in the pay as well. A small real estate office with a couple of agents is going to pay a much different scale than say Google.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started at $12.50/hr. I've more than doubled that now though.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Entry level pay is purely subjective to the person who is going to take the job. Every person is different, when I got my first job in IT was working at a home improvement store selling power tools for 8 dollars an hour. I got a job with Northrop Grumman entry level for 30K a year with a full benefits package. My current retail job didn't have benefits since I was part time working 39 hours a week and going to school at night.

To me that was awesome entry level, come to find out after I was hired I was the lowest paid help desk person there. Some found out and said I should have asked for more, I was like "uh I had a Windows NT workstation cert, A+ and I knew the guy who got me the interview. I really had very little negotiating assets like a degree working in my favor and I was currently earning 5K above the poverty rate lol.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Simply comb through the data in this thread and you will get an idea of what people started out with in IT.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/56869-how-much-your-starting-i-t-salery.html
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started at $10/hr as a part time intern and was hired at $14/hr six months later.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my area entry level is 9.00 to 16.00$