CCNA v CCENT

flattleyflattley Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, just wondered if you had any thoughts on the best route to choose to get CCNA certified?

This is what I have done so far: read the 4 Cisco press books (net fund, rout, LAN s, acc wan)

I am also reading Lammle CCNA. I just don't know what the best path is.

I have Packet Tracer on my computer it unsure of the best way to t/s. I can build a network, but think it will be hard to t/s since I've built it and know how I've built it. Do you guys have any advice?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Personally, I did the two exam route. I haven't tried the combined exam, but lots of people say that it's tough on time. When I did the two exam route I didn't feel that pressure.

Don't just build one network. Build loads. If you are reading spanning-tree, throw 10 switches down and some random cables and play. When it doesn't quite work and you have to figure something out, thats troubleshooting. Don't fix yourself into one topology, just chuck some stuff on the screen and make it work. Every time you build a network, incorporate the things you know you should be doing - don't be lazy. When you do a lab, do your banners, your passwords, enable telnet, etc. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be.

That's what I did anyway.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently taking the 2 test route. Reading through the old Net academy Curriculum got my feet wet with Networking again , but I didn't feel completely ready to take the CCNA due to the amount of material covered on the test. The new Curriculum may be better organized for taking the CCNA in 2 parts who knows.

I don't know much about todd Lamele.
    Going forward will be using the CiscoPress Books that correspond with the test I decide to take along with Cbtnugget videos.

Packet Tracer is a great learning tool for newbies. Most commands used will be on the CCNA Simulation mode helps understand the flow of a data packet through the entire network. Packet Tracer does not perform every command mentioned in the book , but will give you a solid feel of the command line.

There are Free Cisco labs to log into to see the complete command line for curiosity.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • flattleyflattley Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for your input. I have been thinking the 2 option route because i've heard CCNA covers a lot of material and i've heard that a lot of people have trouble with the sims for this. iamme4eva: I get what you are saying about throwing together a network and trying to troubleshoot, the question I have is how can that be done if I know how I am putting the network together? If I put it together then I am not really troubleshooting if I know how i've put it together. I don't know if i'm explaining right or not. I hear what you are saying though and I will throw one together in PT. Hopefully it will become unstuck and I can fix it
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    It's not troubleshooting an existing network, but it's good experience. If you try and build labs without looking at books or google, then you're almost guaranteed to get it wrong sometimes. And when you get it wrong and it doesn't work, then you can sit back, think about it, and figure out why it's not working. That's why I say to keep building labs from scratch. The more problems you get, the more you'll learn because you have to understand it to get it working.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk