Looking for router and switch..

jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
Uh.. I'm looking to upgrade my house routers and switches.. I would like cisco but not sure what to get. Now I am going to work at a company who supports brocade so maybe that be a good option too.

What routers and switches should I get? Looking for somewhat inexpensive.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Any reason you need high end gear like Brocade or Cisco? I just go cheap at the house without issue.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To learn to be honest. Not looking to spend alot.

Looking at brocade and they have nothing cheap.. So this might not be possible
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    Well that depends on what you want to learn. If you want to go for the CCNA then buy an 1841 or higher off ebay. They are about $100 without the expansion cards. Then for a switch you could pick up a cisco 2950 off ebay as well they are pretty cheap if you get a 10/100 switch.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just going to throw a different opinion out here. I picked up a 2610xm to route traffic just for my one computer so that I could force myself to practice more for the CCNA. I made it less than a day before wiring it to a switch and just turning it on whenever I needed to practice.

You may not notice it in a datacenter/server room but these things are LOUD. I could hear the fans on my router from across the (small) house. It also generated a lot of heat and I'm assuming used a fair amount of power. I wholeheartedly support getting gear to play with and learn on but I'm not sure I would run it 24/7 for those reasons.

And if you want a good home router, go pick up a WRT54G Linksys and throw DD-WRT or Tomato on it and have a kickin rad home setup.
    That's True. Maybe Ill just get a regular router like you mentioned
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not only are the 2600 routers loud, they can't even handle the bandwidth of a modern home cable connection.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Oh I see.. Well disappointed a bit. At less my wallet will be happy
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Yeah my stuff is never on, they are SUPER loud.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go with a 2950 for Switch and a 871w for a router. This is basically what I used for my CCNA as well as the Virtual Router which I forget what it is called.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.