My Journey

Bruce201Bruce201 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

Just thought I would say a quick hello, currently studying for my Comptia A+ certification, using material from books and websites. Finding it difficult to take everything in atm, this is not helped by me not being the biggest reader of books! Any guys out there that are like me starting from the bottom and not bothering with all these online companies that sell you your qualification with the world at your feet? I know its hard but hopefully be worth it if/when i pass. Have a keen interest in networking and security so thats the route I hope to persue.

Anyhow thats about all from me for now, hopefully keep you all up to date with my progress.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DustyRackDustyRack Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try to relate as much as you can to real world scenarios... what can you do with your new found knowledge. When im learning im a very practical minded person and I like to see and play with what im learning. You say your studying your A+ open up your computer and have a look inside. How does it work? Books are good but they can not teach you everything you need.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Yeah...A+ is not a fun certification to study for...lots of petty details about hardware. Keep your chin up and you'll get there. Alternatively, if you are interested in networking, why not start with CCNA as your entry-level cert? CCNA can be just as effective for getting your foot in the door as A+...and often times will land you better opportunities too.
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Yeah...A+ is not a fun certification to study for...lots of petty details about hardware. Keep your chin up and you'll get there. Alternatively, if you are interested in networking, why not start with CCNA as your entry-level cert? CCNA can be just as effective for getting your foot in the door as A+...and often times will land you better opportunities too.

Completely disagree. No entry level jobs need people with that knowledge, except for a NOC. You having a CCNA is a clear indicator you don't want to stay in Help Desk / Tech Support a minute more than you need to. A+ is still good for providing people the means to get started in Help Desk or Support. Just because you don't use it later doesn't invalidate its early uses.
  • Bruce201Bruce201 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info guys,

I seen a few guys on here say that once you get that first cert it really gives you the boost to carry on and achieve more, whats the typical route for some to take to get into more networking/security side of the job? A+, Network + then.......
  • ph1x10nph1x10n Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good question man! I would love to hear some feedback on that too, as I'm finishing up Network+ now and am undecided on if i should go Security+>CCNA or CCNA>Security+ or?
    Well I'm really unsure of which steps to take next, I know the direction I want to go in, but just which paths to take along the way is troubling me.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ph1x10n that really depends on what you see yourself wanting to do in 5 years. Do you want to do Security on Networking or just networking. I would say do CCNA first this way the Network+ will help with the CCNA studying. Then once you study for Security+ I would probably do CCNA Security and then from here you have many doors that will open up. I wanted to go the networking route but I found virtualization a lot more fun. I just finished up my CCEE from Citrix and heading towards my VMware. I just finished up Epic Certification as well which is in high demand for Hospitals right now.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • ph1x10nph1x10n Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well Network security is the goal right now but, I could easily stumble across something on the way that draws my attention and focus towards that, the whole pentesting area fascinates me I would ideally love to be able to work towards that but I realize I may have to settle for being a curious spectator of that realm of IT as I may never be in a position to even attempt any of that stuff, but regardless, I just want to take this slow and steady and enjoy the ride.
    Right now its hopefully getting some entry level gig and studying networking & security and We'll just see where it takes me :D