ICND1 tomorrow; any famous last words?

t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello folks.

Half of the battle starts tomorrow! I feel pretty excited and somewhat impatient! I feel pretty confident but still going over stuff.

Any last bits, comments, advice is most appreciated.
2015 Certification Goals:
[ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
- Robert E. Lee

Comments

• widget101widget101 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only words I can think of right offhand are...

Good luck!!! :D
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make sure you've gotten enough subnetting and hands-on practice. Get a good night's sleep. Good luck! :)
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Good luck on your test, make sure you are familiar with subnetting, address ranges for private and public addresses, as well as your cdp commands (cdp run (global) vs cdp enable (interface)
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    t5yll4 wrote: »
    any famous last words?
    Go get 'em, tiger! :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    where loose fitting clothes.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198

+1 for this.. ensure that you are comfortable!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! Bring home a win icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    t5yll4 wrote: »
    ICND1 tomorrow; any famous last words?
    Yes: Q'apla! :D
  • Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□

No idea, is that a question?

Know TCP and UDP backward regarding IP addressing for TCP. Port numbers are a safe bet along with knowing what services go with the protocol as an example DNS uses both TCP and UDP along with port 53.

Wear loose fitting clothes and good luck.
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Good luck bro icon_thumright.gif
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    Make sure you are awake for it, you don't have a lot of extra time. I finished ICND1 with 3 seconds to spare. So get some sleep and make sure you have had your daily coffee/energy drink/pop whatever you go to liquid energy source is.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Know your simulators...those kicked me in the teeth hard, wasn't expecting what I got...
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    I wonder if he passed... got mine for this sunday...im more excited to get this over with than nervous.
    Port numbers are a safe bet along with knowing what services go with the protocol as an example DNS uses both TCP and UDP along with port 53.
    Cisco doesn't put much emphasis on port numbers in their core networking tracks. I'm glad as this mostly falls into the 'unnecessary trivia' pile for me, since I work on routers/switches rather than servers.
    True but port numbers and protocol combos are the main part of extended access lists and you will definitely see those on the exam and be asked to interpret them.
    Vask3n wrote: »
    True but port numbers and protocol combos are the main part of extended access lists and you will definitely see those on the exam and be asked to interpret them.

You have the option to configure extended ACLs using the service names rather than the port numbers.

permit tcp any any eq www

Configurations without "magic numbers" are more accessible and less likely to contain errors. I see more value in knowing what services are assigned to TCP vs. UDP vs. both (protocol combos). Without that, you need to look it up or use trial and error. I see less value in memorizing port numbers Cisco commands and sniffer output shield you from.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I gotta disagree with you just a bit on that NetVet icon_smile.gif

Knowing ports and protocols can be an invaluable troubleshooting tool. If you don't know that BGP connects on TCP/179 then seeing that port blocked while reviewing an ACL or Firewall log won't help you figure out why BGP neighbors don't come up.

For the OP:

Remember that with most things Cisco, the trick is not to find the right answer but prove beyond a shadow of a doubt why the other answers are wrong - then you will ace the test.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    vinbuck wrote: »
    I gotta disagree with you just a bit on that NetVet Knowing ports and protocols can be an invaluable troubleshooting tool.
    Good counter-point. I agree knowing that BGP uses port 179 is practical knowledge for someone with a career focused on routing/switching, since it's a router-to-router application. I don't worry about memorizing the ports for what are predominantly server-to-server or PC-to-server applications. Knowing that tends to be more important for desktop/server guys. Cisco/Juniper/Brocade also don't place much emphasis on their port numbers in core routing/switching certifications.

While there are exceptions (web & telnet), I can't remember any time in the recent past where being able to recall the port number for POP or Kazaa or DNS off-the-top-of-my-head was either necessary or very helpful.
    Good counter-point. I agree knowing that BGP uses port 179 is practical knowledge for someone with a career focused on routing/switching, since it's a router-to-router application. I don't worry about memorizing the ports for what are predominantly server-to-server or PC-to-server applications. Knowing that tends to be more important for desktop/server guys. Cisco/Juniper/Brocade also don't place much emphasis on their port numbers in core routing/switching certifications.

While there are exceptions (web & telnet), I can't remember any time in the recent past where being able to recall the port number for POP or Kazaa or DNS off-the-top-of-my-head was either necessary or very helpful.

I am almost certain we are all on the same page in regard to port numbers (plus I would never argue against someone whose username is NetworkVeteran!). I think we are all basically getting at the same point here:

Port numbers on Extended ACLs can be described in either integer value or common name and it is useful knowledge to be able to interpret them regardless of which method is used. In reality, and of course we can all attest to this since we have all taken Cisco exams: ACLs are described both ways on the tests, so know both ways.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    I can't remember any time in the recent past where being able to recall the port number for POP or Kazaa or DNS off-the-top-of-my-head was either necessary or very helpful.
    Heh - I don't know how many firewall engineers I've had to tell to open port 53 for DNS. icon_razz.gif
    Cisco doesn't put much emphasis on port numbers in their core networking tracks. I'm glad as this mostly falls into the 'unnecessary trivia' pile for me, since I work on routers/switches rather than servers.

Really?

Every Cisco exam I have taken has had questions regarding protocols and ports. It could make a difference between a pass and a fail over a few questions and they do put these in their core networking track, as you call it and it will appear in the exam in one form or another.

I was under the impression that OP was referring to the exam not the unnecessary trivia pile. Thank you for your helpful comments.
    WilyOne wrote: »
    Heh - I don't know how many firewall engineers I've had to tell to open port 53 for DNS. icon_razz.gif

Me too! UDP for queries and TCP for zone transfers but they still don't get it!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Keep this bookmarked and you are good to go in the real world. Won't help you on an exam though.

Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.