ICND2 Scheduled for Mon (7/1)

JoeBirdsJoeBirds Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good Afternoon TechExams!

I have scheduled my ICND2 (Old version) exam for this Monday. I plan on studying all weekend long to be well prepared for the exam. To anyone who has taken the exam, any advice, input, tips, etc would be very much appreciated. I will be around all day to answer any questions.

I did have a question of my own. I'm reading the Odom version 3 ICND2 book as well as CBT Nuggets and I have not seen anything on DHCP configuration. Is this not a topic on the exam?

Thanks in advanced for reading and giving your input!

-JoeBirds

Comments

• Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Hey there, good luck on your exam, I am also taking it this weekend (retaking it)

I also did not encounter DHCP in ICND2, seems like it was an ICND1 thing.

As far as recommendations go, I would recommend knowing your multicast IP addresses for the different routing protocols, know your frame-relay topologies, know how to troubleshoot encapsulation issues between two ends of a serial link, and the seemingly most difficult part of this exam- know your ACLs and NAT types (of course this implies knowing subnetting and use wildcards). Oh and last thing, make sure you are familiar with summarization and interpreting wildcards to see if they match some criteria.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • JoeBirdsJoeBirds Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    Hey there, good luck on your exam, I am also taking it this weekend (retaking it)

I also did not encounter DHCP in ICND2, seems like it was an ICND1 thing.

As far as recommendations go, I would recommend knowing your multicast IP addresses for the different routing protocols, know your frame-relay topologies, know how to troubleshoot encapsulation issues between two ends of a serial link, and the seemingly most difficult part of this exam- know your ACLs and NAT types (of course this implies knowing subnetting and use wildcards). Oh and last thing, make sure you are familiar with summarization and interpreting wildcards to see if they match some criteria.

Thanks a lot for the input! The only topic I'm really dreading is IPv6, but I really can't see them drilling that subject on the exam. Anyways, good luck on your exam this weekend! I will be watching for your passing post!
  • silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    Good luck man! I'm sitting for mine on July 8th - really nervous!
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    JoeBirds wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the input! The only topic I'm really dreading is IPv6, but I really can't see them drilling that subject on the exam. Anyways, good luck on your exam this weekend! I will be watching for your passing post!

I also did not see them drilling that on the exam but the first time I took ICND2 I got creamed by the IPv6 questions of which there was 3 or 4 (might not seem like a lot, but it makes all the difference when you are not familiar with the concept).

Just remember the basic mapping of multicast addresses, for example....

EIGRP uses ipV4 multicast 224.0.0.10 and its corresponding ipV6 multicast is FF02::a (a is hex for 10)

Another example

RIPv2 uses ipv4 multicast 224.0.0.9 right? Well its corresponding ipV6 address is ff02::9.

I look for ways to remember the mappings like this..
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • JoeBirdsJoeBirds Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    I also did not see them drilling that on the exam but the first time I took ICND2 I got creamed by the IPv6 questions of which there was 3 or 4 (might not seem like a lot, but it makes all the difference when you are not familiar with the concept).

Just remember the basic mapping of multicast addresses, for example....

EIGRP uses ipV4 multicast 224.0.0.10 and its corresponding ipV6 multicast is FF02::a (a is hex for 10)

Another example

RIPv2 uses ipv4 multicast 224.0.0.9 right? Well its corresponding ipV6 address is ff02::9.

I look for ways to remember the mappings like this..

Looking at your post, I've got the IPv4 multicast addresses down, but not so much for IPv6. I've read the Odom book about 3 times now and have skipped the last chapter every time (The IPv6 chapter). I plan on reading it and watching the IPv6 CBT Nugget videos the night before I take my test. Not sure if it will bite me in the butt or not but I guess we will see!
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Good luck for your exam icon_thumright.gif
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63