Passed ICND 1 today

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Wow, I haven't posted a new thread here in a while (let alone even respond to one). I have been lurking around though for the past 2 months. Anyway, its been a really long time since I got to say I passed an exam, but today I passed ICND 1. I am elated!

A little back story, I originally came from the MS side of the house, mainly doing Server admin related roles, with a bit of networking (5 years or so). The past 5 years I have been strictly in a network and PBX/VOIP role. My job change 2 years ago really accelerated that :)

I took 640-802 back in mid-December. I failed, and pretty bad too. It was probably THE worst time for me to have taken it, but I am a glutton for punishment and I tried anyway (I was working between 60-90 hours a week). A few major projects later, I made time and decided to split up the exams so I can focus more on less subject matter. THAT, and I have kid #1 due in about 6 weeks or so, so I had a finite amount of time to knock it out. My goal is to complete 640-816 before the bambino arrives. If I don't, then I can't imagine being able to retake it before the deadline. I will focus on the new exam in Oct/Nov if need be.

As for the test, its what I expected. Overall advice; Read, lab, subnet. I was able to supplement my studies with on the job experience which was helpful. I find it much easier to understand when you can correlate it with what you do at work.

Resources used:

-Train Signal (Chris Bryant)
-Odom's ICND 1 Book (This book will fill any gaps in knowledge, very detailed)
-Lammele's CCNA book (left over from previous studies, good supplement if Odom makes you sleepy)
-Boson ex-sim (THIS was very helpful, gives you a good idea of cisco test format and presentation)
-CCNA in 60 Days (This is probably the most important piece for me, because it gave me structure and direction. On the topics in this book I felt were light, I supplemented with trainsignal, other books, etc. This guide hasn't let me down yet)
-My lab (3 1760 routers, 3 2950 switches)

Next up, I am going to take a day or two off. I just turned 30 yesterday so I should probably celebrate. Sunday or Monday I dive right back in and hit up ICND 2 material.

As always, thanks to the members at TE for indirectly answering questions I had or sharing their own experiences!

Now, on to the victory whiskey! drunken_smilie.gif
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Good job. Gratz!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • safari___safari___ Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You passed! icon_cheers.gif Looking to that feeling soon.Congratulations!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Double congrats snadam, enjoy the celebration weekend!
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    Congrats man!
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on ICND2!!
  • t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! On 2 the next 1!
    2015 Certification Goals:
    [ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
    - Robert E. Lee
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the support!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Congrats on the pass and good luck for ICND 2 icon_thumright.gif
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats man!!! make it a good whiskey
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats bro, I passed mine today and I used CCNA in 60 days as well. It really helps setting the layout.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sixtyten wrote: »
    congrats man!!! make it a good whiskey
    Blanton's on the rocks is my 'special occasion' whiskey.

Tyb wrote:
    Congrats bro, I passed mine today and I used CCNA in 60 days as well. It really helps setting the layout.
    Thanks and congrats! I am really enjoying the structure the book provides. I don't have to worry about WHAT to study, just go in and do it. Some stuff I don't think it was covered very well in that book, and I really didn't focus too much on those subjects. Thankfully I had fairly decent knowledge about it and did OK on that objective during the exam. As long as you supplement with another book, you should be golden. Day 31 was yesterday (ACLs), and I can tell you I'll be re-reading that days notes a few times so it sticks.

• Gamer617Gamer617 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you. I have taken Cisco courses (ccna1-ccna4) since 2010 and have my test set for end of july. Keep rescheduling since i have not been studying but I need to crunch to get both certs before the 30th or start all over again since exam format is changing. Thanks for the reference materials. I am gathering as much info as i can to be prepped for this exam. Best of luck with ICND2

BTW which CCNA 60-days have you fellas used?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    snadam wrote: »
    Day 31 was yesterday (ACLs), and I can tell you I'll be re-reading that days notes a few times so it sticks.
    I found www.aclpractice.com to be very helpful. It's not 100% comprehensive, but it's good labbing nonetheless.