70-687 Exam Resources

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
I noticed the 70-687, Configuring Windows 8 exam objectives yesterday and although the published date says "September 07, 2012(In development)" I figured better sooner than later and start a resources thread (together with this new Windows 8 exams forum icon_cheers.gif) I will continue to update this thread this year.

70-687 Configuring Windows 8

Install and Upgrade to Windows 8 (14%)

Configure Hardware and Applications (16%)
  • Configure devices and device drivers.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: install, update, disable, and roll back drivers; resolve driver issues; configure driver settings
  • Install and configure desktop applications.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: set compatibility mode; install and repair applications by using Windows Installer; configure default program settings; modify file associations; manage App-V applications
    • - Overview of Application Virtualization
  • Install and configure Windows Store applications.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: install, reinstall, and update Metro applications; restrict Windows Store content; add internal content (side loading); disable Windows Store
    • - Managing Client Access to the Windows Store
  • Control access to local hardware and applications.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure AppLocker; configure access through Group Policy or local security policy; manage installation of removable devices
    • - AppLocker Overview
  • Configure Internet Explorer.
  • Configure Hyper-V.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: create and configure virtual machines; create and manage snapshots; create and configure virtual switches; create and configure virtual disks
    • - Client Hyper-V

Configure Network Connectivity (15%)
  • Configure IP settings.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure name resolution; connect to a network; configure network locations; resolve connectivity issues
  • Configure networking settings.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: connect to a wireless network; manage preferred wireless networks; configure network adapters; configure location-aware printing
  • Configure and maintain network security.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure Windows Firewall; configure Windows Firewall with Advanced Security; configure connection security rules (IPSec); configure authenticated exceptions; configure network discovery; manage wireless security
    • - Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Overview
  • Configure remote management.

Configure Access to Resources (14%)
  • Configure shared resources.
  • Configure file and folder access.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: encrypt files and folders by using EFS; configure NTFS permissions; configure disk quotas; configure object access auditing
  • Configure local security settings.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure local security policy; configure User Account Control (UAC) behavior; configure Secure Boot; configure SmartScreen filter
    • - Secure Boot Overview
  • Configure authentication and authorization.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure rights; manage credentials; manage certificates; configure smart cards; configure biometrics; configure picture password; configure PIN; set up and configure Windows Live ID
    • - Windows Authentication Overview

Configure Remote Access and Mobility (14%)
  • Configure remote connections.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure remote authentication; configure Remote Desktop settings; establish VPN connections and authentication; enable VPN reconnect; manage broadband connections
  • Configure mobility options.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure offline file policies; configure power policies; configure Windows to Go; configure sync options; configure WiFi direct
    • - Windows To Go: Scenario Overview
  • Configure security for mobile devices.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure BitLocker and BitLocker To Go policies; configure startup key storage; configure remote wipe; configure location settings (GPS)
    • - What's New in BitLocker

Monitor and Maintain Windows Clients (13%)
  • Configure and manage updates.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure update settings; configure Windows Update policies; manage update history; roll back updates; update Metro applications
  • Manage local storage.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: manage disk volumes; manage file system fragmentation; manage storage spaces
  • Monitor system performance.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure and analyze event logs; configure event subscriptions; configure Task Manager; monitor system resources; optimize networking performance; optimize the desktop environment; configure indexing options

Configure Backup and Recovery Options (14%)
  • Configure backup.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: create a system recovery disk; back up files, folders, and full system; schedule backups
  • Configure system recovery options.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure system restore; determine when to choose last known good configuration; perform a complete restore; perform a driver rollback; perform a push button refresh or reset; configure startup settings
    • - Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) Technical Reference
  • Configure file recovery options.
    • This objective may include but is not limited to: configure file restore points; restore previous versions of files and folders; configure File History

MISC. Links:

Windows 8 Release Preview ISO formats

Windows 8 Release Preview: frequently asked questions

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the above information. Will probably start to study once the press books hit
    Mooooo
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start studying now and you'll be ready at release.
  • MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've compiled this for anyone who likes studying from a single source: http://eddiejackson.net/web_documents/Windows%208%20study%20guide%2070-687.doc

Eddie Jackson (MrNetTek)
    Eddie Jackson - Professional Profile
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    Thanks for the post... now I don't have to lug my book to work or scroll technet.

sweet.. thanx!

Features new to Windows 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for windows 8 new features

I also suggest trainsignal for 70-687
    CBT nuggets are a little slow, they have some available in the upcoming videos section only (11 videos) 20 minutes to 30 minutes
  • Digital.Digital. Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed the exam on Monday. Scored 950/1000.
    Materials used for the exams are:
    Train Signal Videos : Windows 8 Configuring (70-687) Training | TrainSignal
    Microsoft Exam Prep Book.

Best of luck guys !
  • TonkatuffTonkatuff Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Digital., which Exam prep book did you use if I may ask?
    Digital. wrote: »

Best of luck guys !

Sweet! Congrats
    I am taking mine this Friday and quick advice?

I read the MS press Training Guide & Exam Reference
    watched twice the TrainSignal - 70-687 Configuring Windows 8
    and read through the Exam Focus quick notes for the 70-687
    I also up graded all my house computers to windows 8 with windows 20008 R2 Domain Controllers
    Tonkatuff wrote: »
    Digital., which Exam prep book did you use if I may ask?

Sorry for the delay, I used this book which is quiet good and detailed I highly recommend you to read before you take the exam

Exam Ref 70-687: Configuring Windows 8 - O'Reilly Media
    Sweet! Congrats
    I am taking mine this Friday and quick advice?

I read the MS press Training Guide & Exam Reference
    watched twice the TrainSignal - 70-687 Configuring Windows 8
    and read through the Exam Focus quick notes for the 70-687
    I also up graded all my house computers to windows 8 with windows 20008 R2 Domain Controllers

Sorry for the late reply, Take it easy just go through the book which covers everything. Make sure you have practical knowledge in File history. To be honest I am running Windows 8 on my main PC and for the exam purpose I installed Enterprise edition on my Virtual PC to practice.

Best of luck with your exam ;)
    Sorry for the late reply, Take it easy just go through the book which covers everything. Make sure you have practical knowledge in File history. To be honest I am running Windows 8 on my main PC and for the exam purpose I installed Enterprise edition on my Virtual PC to practice.

Best of luck with your exam ;)

I passed with a 900
    I set up a domain with 2 Windows 8 pro, 2 windows 8 ent and 1 windows 7 and two Windows server 2008 SP2 servers

all are on physical hardware

My family uses the computers .... and have issues and problems
    They been using the Windows 8 ever since Christmas
    I passed with a 900
    I set up a domain with 2 Windows 8 pro, 2 windows 8 ent and 1 windows 7 and two Windows server 2008 SP2 servers

all are on physical hardware

My family uses the computers .... and have issues and problems
    They been using the Windows 8 ever since Christmas

Awesome buddy congratulations, planning to do 70-688 ?? I am waiting for the Train Signal video series to be out. 70-687 was my first Microsoft exam and now I am eager to do more (actually preparing for Windows 7 MCTS) so I don't have fancy set up to play with, maybe in future. what's your plans ?? :)

Also if anyone of you need help regarding 70-687 feel free to ask.

Thank you !
    Awesome buddy congratulations, planning to do 70-688 ?? I am waiting for the Train Signal video series to be out. 70-687 was my first Microsoft exam and now I am eager to do more (actually preparing for Windows 7 MCTS) so I don't have fancy set up to play with, maybe in future. what's your plans ?? :)

Also if anyone of you need help regarding 70-687 feel free to ask.

Thank you !

Trainsignal vids (70-688 )are out Now!!
    I am watching the videos in order I am watching the Internet Explorer
    Do you know anything about Windows Intune?

I am cramming so I can take it in 2 weeks
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    digital, how should we prepare for the exam? did u get a lot of powershell questions? which area should we emphasize the most?

Best of luck guys !
  • mikesoderstrommikesoderstrom Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello I am new here. Just starting to study for 70-687 for 8.1 and trying to find some good resources. This is the best thread I have found yet. There does not seem to be many books out yet besides Microsoft's Exam Ref 70-687. Anyone found anything else good? I'll probably read that book, look through the notes posted here and do some videos/labs. If you have any other updated sources or suggestions that would be great! Thanks!
  • anuj_123anuj_123 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    I have started studying MCSA window 8.1 70-687 exam, Is there any resource from where I can get practice tests for all chapters.

Thanks
  • baboontesterbaboontester Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I highly recommend THIS book. The questions within the chapter and the practice test on the CD are worth it alone.