Questions about Packet Tracer

shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need a few tips about how to set up packet tracer for my studies. I recently installed it and I'm not sure what type of diagram would be beneficial to learn a lot in a short time. Can anyone give me some tips on how I should go about this?

Also, on a side note I'm having slight trouble remembering little but important details on cabling and the technologies. Does anyone know the link of a good **** sheet for this so I can do like a quick reference?

Comments

• Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    You can make a ton of differnet kinds of topologies, but want to start with a quick easy one?

Make a router on a stick.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You want some simple topologies that are good for learning the basics?

R1 (single router, navigating the CLI)

S1 (single switch, navigating the CLI)

PC1---R1----PC2 (single switch - interface configuration, default gateway, forwarding packets)

PC1---S1----PC2 (single switch - interface and VLAN configuration, forwarding packets)

R1----R2
    R3 (three routers - good for routing protocols, security, etc.)

S1----S2===S3 (three switches - good for spanning tree, trunking, link aggregation, etc.)

But you can just start with whatever the chapter you're reading about requires. E.g., a chapter on getting around in IOS will probably only require a single router or switch to attempt all the commands.
  • shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm basically looking to get very familiar with the CLI as that was my biggest downfall last time. I am not going to let that happen this time. I also think it may help me remember small details like which cord goes where.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This guy does his entire CCNA course in Packet Tracer. You could get some good tips here.

DansCourses - YouTube

hth
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    This guy does his entire CCNA course in Packet Tracer. You could get some good tips here.

DansCourses - YouTube

hth

Yeah, if you check out his video on STP you actually see a broadcast storm happening right there in packet tracer lol!
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    Yeah, if you check out his video on STP you actually see a broadcast storm happening right there in packet tracer lol!

Awesome, Thanks guys.
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ltat42a wrote: »

DansCourses - YouTube

hth

Good stuff! Thanks for the post..