GSEC Costs!

catakcatak Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been in the IT field for over ten years doing the same stuff, changing out HD, mb etc. etc. My company (D.o.D.) does not pay for any IT training so I've been forced to go either out of pocket or voluntaieer for any work related to servers, routers etc. I want to be marketable with more certs. I currently hold Net+ and Sec+, but that's not going to cut it. My ideas have either been SCNP or GSEC. I'v heard many good things from GSEC, but the seeing the costs starting around 4k for training is crazy!

Can you share some of your thoughts on how to prepare for this training without the outrageoues cost involved? And if my career path would be right to pursue this cert? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as you with the gov't. It's extremely limited unless you move to a different agency, or area all together. Plus with the pay freezes and such...it's even more frustrating. Something that I did find is that some agencies get Microsoft vouchers available that they don't tell you about, so that's something to look in to if you can.

Anything related to SANS is difficult going the self-study route, and 4K+ is hard for most of us with families and bills to pay. Since you are looking in the Infosec area, try going from CEH or SSCP for the time being, and work your way up to CISSP. icon_cheers.gif

Any other areas that you are looking to get into, and do you have any idea as to where you'd like to be??
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Absolutely stay away from SCNP. The cert is defunct and I believe is being removed from the next update to 8570.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The Web site for the SCP program is no longer alive, so I believe the SCNP and SCNA certs are dead.

The SCNP certification was removed from DoDD 8570.01-M by Change 3 (Jan 2012).
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    https://www.sans.org/work-study Search this site for more info on the program. I think I am going to apply for the next couple ones that are near me.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Work Study is perfect for someone whose company will not pay for it and if you are really interested.

I have done GSEC and GCIH both via Work Study. I intend doing more !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lol I had the SCNP website bookmarked from a while back, the website didn't make me feel confident seemed kinda amateur.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Work/study program is the best money you can spend on yourself (besides quality booze and girls, haha!). I did SEC505 last year and hoping to do the GCIH course and exam this fall. I think they raised it up to $900 but consider you get top quality training, a cert attempt, and the networking opportunity. The only what it gets better is if someone else pays for it.